Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when is Hurley so much better than TMac?

Very similar players, Hurley a better kick and stronger.

TMac a better athlete and mark.

TMac has been slightly down this year, but has been very good the last two years and mostly good this year - he's getting caught out a bit with the defence and ball movement we're implementing.

Hurleys a better mark mate
Plus Hurley has been an AA while Mcdonald in hindsight has only played about 8-10 games in of AA standard then dropped off again this year
McDonald is a great athlete but Hurley is a better player

Hurleys a better mark mate
Plus Hurley has been an AA while Mcdonald in hindsight has only played about 8-10 games in of AA standard then dropped off again this year
McDonald is a great athlete but Hurley is a better player

No Hurley is not a better mark.

Hurley is 26 and McDonald is 23, he's had a bit more time in the game to establish himself as an All-Australian.

I don't understand why people are being such sooks over McDonald not having signed on yet, particularly after they tell themselves that other players who also are out of contract are more important. We've only just passed half way through the season, he's said that he will sign on, relax.

I also can't see any reason why he can't reach Hurley's level in the future. He ain't that far ahead of Tom.

wtf, 2016 last post haha.

Anyway, not too far off now so it's time to slowly start building the sizzle.

I've never really been a TMac fan per se. I've appreciated his effort and leadership over the years and his utilitarian style defensive approach (not sure that makes sense but * it).

But.

IMO TMac going forward is poised to be one of the most important structural changes we've made since Neitz. Now don't worry, I'm not comparing him to Neitz directly on a personal ability level - that would be silly, there won't be 600 goals for TMac. I'm simply saying this move is potentially huge for us in the modern context. The key term is since Neitz.

Watts was great for us but his physical limitations meant he was a drifter in and out of the forward line and he never really fit a structure. TMac can offer a little more structural stability whilst still being mobile.

Now, he won't be pretty up forward, he'll look awkward at times, he'll also take a little time to gel with the others. He's effective though and can take marks and he rarely drops his head. His leadership in the forward line can't be underestimated either and he takes ownership of situations.

There will be times I guess he'll be needed down back to cover or help out but if TMac predominantly plays forward (as is the plan) then 2018 has gone up a massive notch for me in the interest stakes. Despite getting closer to finals I know each year is a hard slog and as a supporter I have become ambivalen to our chances, such is the nature of the competition. TMac going forward at least has me going into 2018 with genuine intrigue beyond the standard supporter blind hope.

This move is massive for us and I reckon it might surprise the competition how well it turns out.

Obviously if it all goes to s**t you are all free to bump this post.

I've never really been a TMac fan per se. I've appreciated his effort and leadership over the years and his utilitarian style defensive approach (not sure that makes sense but **** it).

But.

IMO TMac going forward is poised to be one of the most important structural changes we've made since Neitz. Now don't worry, I'm not comparing him to Neitz directly on a personal ability level - that would be silly, there won't be 600 goals for TMac. I'm simply saying this move is potentially huge for us in the modern context. The key term is since Neitz.

Watts was great for us but his physical limitations meant he was a drifter in and out of the forward line and he never really fit a structure. TMac can offer a little more structural stability whilst still being mobile.

Now, he won't be pretty up forward, he'll look awkward at times, he'll also take a little time to gel with the others. He's effective though and can take marks and he rarely drops his head. His leadership in the forward line can't be underestimated either and he takes ownership of situations.

There will be times I guess he'll be needed down back to cover or help out but if TMac predominantly plays forward (as is the plan) then 2018 has gone up a massive notch for me in the interest stakes. Despite getting closer to finals I know each year is a hard slog and as a supporter I have become ambivalen to our chances, such is the nature of the competition. TMac going forward at least has me going into 2018 with genuine intrigue beyond the standard supporter blind hope.

This move is massive for us and I reckon it might surprise the competition how well it turns out.

The great thing about this moving Tmac to the forward line is it indicates that our list now has a critical mass of talls that allows our set up to be flexible, and opens up the possibilities of developing effective Plan B’s, C’s or D’s if Plan A isn’t going too well on a particular day.
Also there’s something comforting in knowing that there will always be a certain number of big blokes out on the field to help direct play and maintain a physical presence on the field. I think having a physically big and strong team will hold us in good stead for sustained success. It’s certainly something we lacked around 2011 when Green and Watts were our forward targets and we know that things didn’t exactly kick on well from there.
Just a final point, if Tmac proves to be a revelation up forward this year, you’d imagine that could leave Weideman surplus to requirements. Which would make questionable the whole decision to chase him so hard in the draft two years ago. I just can’t see Weid, Hogan and Tmac working in the same forward set up. Eh, something to ponder anyway...

The great thing about this moving Tmac to the forward line is it indicates that our list now has a critical mass of talls that allows our set up to be flexible, and opens up the possibilities of developing effective Plan B’s, C’s or D’s if Plan A isn’t going too well on a particular day.
Also there’s something comforting in knowing that there will always be a certain number of big blokes out on the field to help direct play and maintain a physical presence on the field. I think having a physically big and strong team will hold us in good stead for sustained success. It’s certainly something we lacked around 2011 when Green and Watts were our forward targets and we know that things didn’t exactly kick on well from there.
Just a final point, if Tmac proves to be a revelation up forward this year, you’d imagine that could leave Weideman surplus to requirements. Which would make questionable the whole decision to chase him so hard in the draft two years ago. I just can’t see Weid, Hogan and Tmac working in the same forward set up. Eh, something to ponder anyway...

I can see Hogan becoming almost a midfielder, a little similar to Roughead at times, so if Weideman comes on then I think a spot at deep forward is there for him.

The good thing here is that we can afford to wait another year or 2 for him to really develop, which is what you would expect for a young KPF.

True, it also makes our Plan A a bit simpler.

What I really want up forward though is the ability to keep the ball alive and create something from nothing. That is what worries defences the most after the ball goes to ground. By tall player standards, I think McDonald is tenacious enough to worry and harass opponents from locking it up easily thanks to his defensive nouse and energy. Time will tell I suppose.

Talented taller players are very important and I think this will alleviate Hogan being the go to player all the time. There were some games last year where we had the Hogan blinkers on and whilst he played mostly ok that isn't a gameplan.

Also regarding leadership, we have generals all over the ground now. Lever in defence, Viney (and others) in the middle and TMac up forward. We just need the group to keep maturing in general now.

A bit retrospective regarding the draft but yeah Weid wouldn't be an automatic starter. Still young though so valuable down the track.

I've never really been a TMac fan per se. I've appreciated his effort and leadership over the years and his utilitarian style defensive approach (not sure that makes sense but **** it).

But.

I actually think TMAC could be a better player for us than Neita. Neitz had wow factor and did things that really stood out, booming kick and could take a good contested grab. But he also went missing a hell of a lot. TMAC has been a revelation forward because he involves himself so often. He just spends a lot of the time in the game and in the contest. I’d rate him as a better set shot than neitz on exposed form, and he also shows a lot of intent when the ball is on the deck.
I’d love to see TMAC at FF with Hogan playing the Roughead big bodied midfielder role as others have mentioned. Play Trac at CHF and role with four other agile forwards. Maybe Jeffy, Hannan, Harmes and ANB. I think ANB will get a lot of midfield time though this year. He’s on the cusp of becoming a gun.

I can see Hogan becoming almost a midfielder, a little similar to Roughead at times, so if Weideman comes on then I think a spot at deep forward is there for him.

The good thing here is that we can afford to wait another year or 2 for him to really develop, which is what you would expect for a young KPF.
I hear ya, and I believe Weid could develop into a gun, the signs are there, but I still can’t see all of Hogan, Tmac and Weid in the same team working, if Tmac is playing up forward. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong though. But in Roughead’s case, he played his best football as Hawthorn’s only recognised kpf, sharing responsibilities with a resting ruck, surrounded by a fleet of absolute gun mid and small forwards. He wasn’t as effective when teamed up with Buddy. Let alone two kpfs.
But it’s a bloody good problem to have, figuring out how to fit all your gun key position players into a team, if it does eventuate that is.

I actually think TMAC could be a better player for us than Neita. Neitz had wow factor and did things that really stood out, booming kick and could take a good contested grab. But he also went missing a hell of a lot. TMAC has been a revelation forward because he involves himself so often. He just spends a lot of the time in the game and in the contest. I’d rate him as a better set shot than neitz on exposed form, and he also shows a lot of intent when the ball is on the deck.
I’d love to see TMAC at FF with Hogan playing the Roughead big bodied midfielder role as others have mentioned. Play Trac at CHF and role with four other agile forwards. Maybe Jeffy, Hannan, Harmes and ANB. I think ANB will get a lot of midfield time though this year. He’s on the cusp of becoming a gun.
Big call, massive call

Good post but I can’t see TMac being a better player than Neitz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very valuable player is T Mac. Really excited to see what eventuates in 2018, assuming he plays close to a full season up forward. A lot of scope for improvement within our side and he's one of those players that can play a big part in our improvement this season. At times, we might need him down back or to chop-out in the ruck which is the beauty of T Mac's flexibility. One of our more important players this year I reckon.

We might be able to afford to wait two years for him but I highly doubt he'd be willing to wait two years for a regular game. I'm pretty sure he would be highly sought after by other clubs like the Pies & I wouldn't begrudge him leaving if he wasn't getting a regular game.

We might be able to afford to wait two years for him but I highly doubt he'd be willing to wait two years for a regular game. I'm pretty sure he would be highly sought after by other clubs like the Pies & I wouldn't begrudge him leaving if he wasn't getting a regular game.
You're probably right. But TMac and Hogan have big tanks and can play high half forward with Weid playing the role of FF. The three can work together IMO and work well. Problem is I don't think we can have Weid, Hogan, TMac and Pedo all together. Either Weid or Pedo will miss. I'd go with Pedo until Weid proves he can contribute on the scoreboard.

Exactly. And hopefully by then we are a finals hardened unit, and if we haven’t snagged a flag by then, we can use any trade currency a Weideman gives us to strengthen an identified weakness in the team. I can very much see your scenario playing out, but as long as we use trade gains wisely, there really isn’t a downside to having too much talent on the list.

You're probably right. But TMac and Hogan have big tanks and can play high half forward with Weid playing the role of FF. The three can work together IMO and work well. Problem is I don't think we can have Weid, Hogan, TMac and Pedo all together. Either Weid or Pedo will miss. I'd go with Pedo until Weid proves he can contribute on the scoreboard.
Pedo’s age suggests he won’t be around much longer than this season, if at all. But he was great last season, so he could prove me wrong. Love the guy, but Weideman shouldn’t see him as an obstacle to getting into this team. The problem is, if Tmac proves to be a gun kpf, he will have trouble getting past Tmac and Hoges. I don’t know if any premiership team in the past that has played with three genuine kpfs.

Fair point and if he was wants to go to the Pies or whoever else, then I look forward to the draft picks we will receive in return.

This is a strong hand that we hold.

Ask Luke McCabe if Neita didn’t show intent at the ground ball. Bad call on Neita going missing, the bloke battled his ass off in the late 90s at CHB when we were a crap side. He carried us into the finals in 02 by winning the Coleman which included a massive bag against the lions in their prime on their home deck.

A bit simplistic perhaps, but I like the thought of a structure where you have Hogan and TMac working hard between the arc and centre wing on either side of the ground and Weid playing deep forward. You have to commit a good tall back to each one of them and that puts something like 75m between those tall backs at any given time, which will seriously mess with their defensive structures and how they can develop an outnumber.

In my mind this opens up either wing for the bailout for the rebounding defenders, then the one who hasn't been used can cross to true CHF for the next kick in the chain, turn and deliver to Weid one-out at the top of the square.

Gawn can provide an alternative in either steps two or three.

A bit simplistic perhaps, but I like the thought of a structure where you have Hogan and TMac working hard between the arc and centre wing on either side of the ground and Weid playing deep forward. You have to commit a good tall back to each one of them and that puts something like 75m between those tall backs at any given time, which will seriously mess with their defensive structures and how they can develop an outnumber.

In my mind this opens up either wing for the bailout for the rebounding defenders, then the one who hasn't been used can cross to true CHF for the next kick in the chain, turn and deliver to Weid one-out at the top of the square.

Gawn can provide an alternative in either steps two or three.

Sounds similar to what Adelaide and Geelong did at times last year. They really seemed to stretch the field longer than other teams. They showed it can work wonders when you get the game on your terms, but it relies on a high kicking percentage. When the opposition relentlessly pressured them into a lower kick percentage it did fall down.

This year I would love to see the boys backing in their team mates more. If there's a genuine one on one 50m upfield, get the ball there quickly, stop with all the handpasses and looking for that perfect play. Brayshaw and Petracca do this well, they tend to look for the best (not perfect) up-field option and go there straight away.

Weideman coming good would be a bonus at this stage. He's clearly not a precocious talent like Hogan was, so he'll need to put a really good year in, primarily at VFL level, for us to be talking about him as best 22 in 12 months time. He's been largely ineffectual at AFL level, which is no sin at his age and with his injury record, but I'd be very wary about planning for him to be our next FF. If we're going to play TMac closer to goal and Hogan further, Weideman will need to be better than McDonald or to carve his own niche to find a spot in that side.

If we get to the end of 2019 and he's still not a regular, there's no need to be sorry. He'll have not done enough, and can go to Collingwood in everyone's best interests.

Weideman coming good would be a bonus at this stage. He's clearly not a precocious talent like Hogan was, so he'll need to put a really good year in, primarily at VFL level, for us to be talking about him as best 22 in 12 months time.
Whilst I agree that Weid is not developed as the younger Hogan, we also have less of a need to throw him into the deep end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back