Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I'm surprised no one has posted this. Perhaps it's a symptom of a wider problem - but I don't know that for sure.

Friday's Outer Sanctum podcast highlighted that on Monday's Triple M Rub during the Big Freeze, 2 days before the Women's League announcement and 5 days before last night's White Ribbon game, Eddie McGuire publicly advocated for the drowning of Caroline Wilson. Being the blokey, bullshit program that it has become, of course James Brayshaw tipped in.

So we have 2 club presidents publicly pledging money should footy's most prominent female journalist be drowned at next years big freeze.

Here's the excerpt:

Here's the transcript (courtesy of Erin Riley's blog, where she's also posted an article):

McGuire: In fact I reckon we should start the campaign for a one-person slide next year. Caroline Wilson. And I’ll put in ten grand straight away- make it twenty. [laugher] And if she stays under, fifty. [louder laugher] [laugher]

What do you reckon guys? Who else is up there? I know you’re in JB?

Brayshaw: No, yep, Straight in

Danny Frawley: I’ll be in amongst it Ed

McGuire: Is Duck there?

Wayne Carey: Yes, I’m here mate.

McGuire: Duck’s in. Danny’s in — already spoken up.

Frawley: Yeah I’m in Ed.

McGuire: I could do an auction here today.

Frawley: I’ll actually jump in and make sure she doesn’t — I’ll hold her under, Ed.

McGuire: I reckon we could charge ten thousand for everyone to stand around the outside and bomb her.

Damien Barrett: I’m on Caro’s side now, Ed. I’m on Caro’s side these days, Ed.

[indecipherable]
McGuire: She’ll burn you like everyone else, mate. She’s like the black widow. She just sucks you in and gets you and you start talking to her and then BANG! She gets you.

Brayshaw: If you ran that auction from down there, I reckon you’d start grabbing some bids out of the seats too. There’d be money piling in everywhere

McGuire: It’s be magnificent. I think we should do that next year. It’s all good for footy.

Brayshaw: Bloody oath!

Surely we're past this. Surely the women that are about to put their bodies on the line for the women's league deserve better than this culturally ingrained sexist bullshit.

Surely Brayshaw knows better than this given his experience on TFS, and given he likely had to do the same "sensitivity training" as Newman would have before Bec Madden came on board.

And surely... surely McGuire knows better by now than to think sexism and racism is funny.

NM_Mitchell

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2014
#westside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
We put the U in CGU
That's not sexism, they're going after the journo that's high up for spreading even worse bullshit than the other journos.
She's toxic.

Starts s**t to bring in ratings and sales, and once they start dropping off again she tries to bring them back by accepting what she spread was BS. then rinse and repeat.

I'm sure if Eddie said the same thing but with Robbo instead of Caro this would be all fine and a harmless joke?

Sam-Newmans-stunt-6012734.jpg

Is Sam Newman in on it too? He could help her get ready for it.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
That's not sexism, they're going after the journo that's high up for spreading even worse bullshit than the other journos.
She's toxic.

Starts s**t to bring in ratings and sales, and once they start dropping off again she tries to bring them back by accepting what she spread was BS. then rinse and repeat.

The "black widow" line is, to me, what makes it an attack based on her gender.

That, and the fact that we already know that McGuire's hatred for Wilson is based on gender.

And the whole violence against women thing too.

Last edited:
Op is sexist for making this about sex. It has nothing to do with her being female.

Caroline is a journalist, why does the op have to point out that she is a female journalist?

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm surprised no one has posted this. Perhaps it's a symptom of a wider problem - but I don't know that for sure.

Friday's Outer Sanctum podcast highlighted that on Monday's Triple M Rub during the Big Freeze, 2 days before the Women's League announcement and 5 days before last night's White Ribbon game, Eddie McGuire publicly advocated for the drowning of Caroline Wilson. Being the blokey, bullshit program that it has become, of course James Brayshaw tipped in.

So we have 2 club presidents publicly pledging money should footy's most prominent female journalist be drowned at next years big freeze.

Here's the excerpt:

Here's the transcript (courtesy of Erin Riley's blog, where she's also posted an article):

Surely we're past this. Surely the women that are about to put their bodies on the line for the women's league deserve better than this culturally ingrained sexist bullshit.

Surely Brayshaw knows better than this given his experience on TFS, and given he likely had to do the same "sensitivity training" as Newman would have before Bec Madden came on board.

And surely... surely McGuire knows better by now than to think sexism and racism is funny.

Find something more pressing to whinge about.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
I love how you just threw racist in there for good measure.

I tend to find they go hand in hand from middle-aged white men who don't want to see anyone treated with the respect that they get.

By the way, it's definitely turning into a story - it's not some random podcast and blogger making an issue out of it:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...roline-wilson-ice-pool-threat-20160619-gpmp1x

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...o/news-story/55c438a71968a96e381d14623c9612a9

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/ed1423901818c49d376a32ebf5af4d11

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ver-comments-about-afl-writer-caroline-wilson

DieSwans

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Melb Renegades
The "black widow" line is, to me, what makes it an attack based on her gender.

That, and the fact that we already know that McGuire's hatred for Wilson is based on gender.

That first sentence, you're being wayyyyyy too sensitive.

Second sentence, please go on....

I mean, I honestly hate Eddie and James, I dont even know who the bigger flog is, they're both that bad.....are you one of those lefties trying to shut down free speech?

Back