Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

iv seen Rigondeaux fight once and that was painfull! Cubans!

GGG would have no problem with Lara at 160

Rigo is at least glass chinned so there's some fun in watching him on his ass quite a bit!

GGG takes Lara in 2-3 rounds IMO. Easy fight. Apparently GGG is ducking Lara though according to the usual dickheads on boxingscene.

Just got a chance to watch Lomachenko's fight from the weekend that just passed. He has a lot of skill.

Decorated amateur (and Olympic) career but only his 7th pro fight.

He's quite possibly the greatest amateur of all time and looks to be adjusting very well to professional boxing. His loss was pretty bullshit too... very sketchy. I see him having no troubles in a rematch. Two titles in his first 7 pro bouts is a ridiculously good way to start a career. Looked amazing at 130lbs.

Boxing noob here.

When discussing relative strengths and weaknesses of boxers regarding which is best. All of the qualities a boxer has, would you have to give the nod to a guy who initiates contact, even if there ate other parts to their style that may be weaker?

Really depends. When discussing someone who initiates and dictates there are so many other factors that play into whether that instigation is a positive or negative.

I can think of a recent example where the guy coming forward and slugging worked out to be very negative. Danny Garcia vs Robert Guerrero. Guerrero initiated almost every exchange yet he walked in slugging and forgot to box, leaving him open for counter after counter from Garcia. Because of this, Guerrero was initiating BUT Garcia was dictating even without having to throw the first punch. In that case you'd say no.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I'll throw out Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemuiex. A master class in using the jab, dictating distance and taking away your opponents game. GGG pretty much threw the first punch of almost every exchange. Unlike the Guerrero vs Garcia bout, GGG using his initiation to dictate the fight and not just slug. He used the jab like a piston keeping Lemueix at a distance and unable to throw anything with substance.

Polar opposite yet both were the instigators of the action. For me I prefer a guy who goes forward and will usually favour them unless against a ridiculously good course fighter aka Rigo. I'll have a Mike Tyson over a Rigo anyday thank you.

Cracking day of boxing coming up Sunday on fox! Massive card from the UK starting at 3am with Joshua in the main and then Thurman vs Porter midday over in the States

Looks like no sleep for me. Cheers for posting the times mate, get annoyed with that stuff sometimes. Hard to keep track of all the times.

Looks like no sleep for me. Cheers for posting the times mate, get annoyed with that stuff sometimes. Hard to keep track of all the times.[/QUOT

had to just double check i was right! so its actually 4am for the Joshua card and 11am for the Thurman v Porter card!

reading on another boxing forum the complete outrage at the Joshua fight being a PPV! they don't understand how good they have boxing over there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

had to just double check i was right! so its actually 4am for the Joshua card and 11am for the Thurman v Porter card!

reading on another boxing forum the complete outrage at the Joshua fight being a PPV! they don't understand how good they have boxing over there!

They're bloody spoilt. The fact that we have to scour to find our boxing events is crazy. I'd give anything to have a dedicated boxing/MMA channel on Foxtel. I'd pay $20 a month for that alone.

What are you guys thinking for Sunday's fights?

I'm thinking a pretty cruisy win for Joshua. Probably a KO in the first 6 rounds. Don't see Breazeale offering much. Saw him against Mansour and boy did he get lucky that Mansour bit his own tongue. He was getting battered and was on his way to losing that one.

As for Thurman vs Porter. I'm leaning towards UD for Thurman. I'd love to see him go for the KO but I think he respects Porter... as he should. Porter is a bulldog. Hell of a fighter. Hell of a fight.

What are you guys thinking for Sunday's fights?

I'm thinking a pretty cruisy win for Joshua. Probably a KO in the first 6 rounds. Don't see Breazeale offering much. Saw him against Mansour and boy did he get lucky that Mansour bit his own tongue. He was getting battered and was on his way to losing that one.

As for Thurman vs Porter. I'm leaning towards UD for Thurman. I'd love to see him go for the KO but I think he respects Porter... as he should. Porter is a bulldog. Hell of a fighter. Hell of a fight.
Agree with most of this but Porter will win without breaking a sweat imo.

Don't wanna see the potential GGG fight?
I'd like to see that too. Not sure which I wanna see the most, just wanna see the smugness wiped off his old man's face sooner rather than later. :)

I'd like to see that too. Not sure which I wanna see the most, just wanna see the smugness wiped off his old man's face sooner rather than later. :)

He's been in ultra mode with his s**t talk lately haha. He's a very smug bastard.

"There's no way my son loses to Golovkin."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back