Resource 2016 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I thought it would be a good idea (with the future pick trading) to show the current draft order. I'll update at the end of every round and after every trade if I can (if I can't, maybe one of the mods can)?

Round 1

Pick 1: Essendon
Pick 2: Brisbane
Pick 3: Gold Coast
Pick 4: Fremantle
Pick 5: Greater Western Sydney (via Collingwood)
Pick 6: Carlton
Pick 7: St. Kilda
Pick 8: Richmond
Pick 9: Gold Coast (via Melbourne)
Pick 10: Port Adelaide
Pick 11: West Coast
Pick 12: Western Bulldogs
Pick 13: Adelaide
Pick 14: North Melbourne
Pick 15: Hawthorn
Pick 16: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 17: Greater Western Sydney (via Carlton, via Geelong)
Pick 18: Sydney

Round 2

Pick 19: Essendon
Pick 20: Brisbane
Pick 21: Gold Coast
Pick 22: Gold Coast (via Fremantle)
Pick 23: Collingwood
Pick 24: Carlton
Pick 25: Brisbane (via St. Kilda)
Pick 26: Gold Coast (via Richmond)
Pick 27: Melbourne
Pick 28: Gold Coast (via Port Adelaide)
Pick 29: West Coast
Pick 30: Western Bulldogs
Pick 31: Greater Western Sydney (via Adelaide)
Pick 32: North Melbourne
Pick 33: Hawthorn
Pick 34: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 35: Geelong
Pick 36: Sydney

Round 3

Pick 37: Essendon
Pick 38: Geelong (via Brisbane)
Pick 39: Gold Coast
Pick 40: Fremantle
Pick 41: Collingwood
Pick 42: Carlton
Pick 43: St. Kilda
Pick 44: Richmond
Pick 45: Melbourne
Pick 46: Port Adelaide
Pick 47: West Coast
Pick 48: Carlton (via Western Bulldogs)
Pick 49: Adelaide
Pick 50: Brisbane (via North Melbourne)
Pick 51: Hawthorn
Pick 52: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 53: Geelong
Pick 54: Sydney

Round 4

Pick 55: Essendon
Pick 56: Brisbane
Pick 57: Gold Coast
Pick 58: Fremantle
Pick 59: Collingwood
Pick 60: Western Bulldogs (via Carlton)
Pick 61: Brisbane (via St. Kilda)
Pick 62: Richmond
Pick 63: Melbourne
Pick 64: Port Adelaide
Pick 65: West Coast
Pick 66: Western Bulldogs
Pick 67: Adelaide
Pick 68: North Melbourne
Pick 69: Hawthorn
Pick 70: Greater Western Sydney
Pick 71: Geelong
Pick 72: Sydney

Round 5

Pick 73: Essendon
Pick 74: Brisbane
Pick 75: Gold Coast
Pick 76: Fremantle
Pick 77: Collingwood
Pick 78: Carlton
Pick 79: St. Kilda
Pick 80: Richmond
Pick 81: Melbourne
Pick 82: Port Adelaide
Pick 83: West Coast
Pick 84: Western Bulldogs
Pick 85: Adelaide
Pick 86: North Melbourne
Pick 87: Hawthorn
Pick 88: Geelong (via Greater Western Sydney)
Pick 89: Geelong
Pick 90: Sydney

By club:

Adelaide: 13, 49, 67, 85. 1568 points
Brisbane: 2, 20, 25, 50, 56, 61, 74. 4787 points
Carlton: 6, 24, 42, 48, 78. 3233 points
Collingwood: 23, 41, 59, 77. 1385 points
Essendon: 1, 19, 37, 55, 73. 4647 points
Fremantle: 4, 40, 58, 76. 2633 points
Geelong: 35, 38, 53, 71, 88, 89. 1249 points
Gold Coast: 3, 9, 21, 22, 26, 28, 39, 57, 75. 7460 points
Greater Western Sydney: 5, 16, 17, 31, 34, 52, 70. 5403 points
Hawthorn: 15, 33, 51, 69, 87. 1983 points
Melbourne: 27, 45, 63, 81. 1162 points
North Melbourne: 14, 32, 68, 86. 1804 points
Port Adelaide: 10, 46, 64, 82. 1827 points
Richmond: 8, 44, 62, 80. 2036 points
St. Kilda: 7, 43, 79. 2022 points
Sydney: 18, 36, 54, 90. 1707 points
West Coast: 11, 29, 47, 65, 83. 2388 points
Western Bulldogs: 12, 30, 60, 66, 72, 84. 2142 points.

Thanks to Fly for their spreadsheet. If anybody is curious it can be found here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...latest-rumour.1042055/page-1142#post-44056696
If you embed the spreadsheet then you won't need to update the post. Just copy and paste the following into your post:
Code:
[media="googlespreadsheetnew"]12798zMTFaKarGu4qrg3VkZNm2AFlCJ_5-rFh0zmYw78[/media]
I can alter the spreadsheet to show all of that information on one page, if you like. Currently it's over a few tabs.

If you embed the spreadsheet then you won't need to update the post. Just copy and paste the following into your post:
Code:
[media="googlespreadsheetnew"]12798zMTFaKarGu4qrg3VkZNm2AFlCJ_5-rFh0zmYw78[/media]
I can alter the spreadsheet to show all of that information on one page, if you like. Currently it's over a few tabs.
Nah, that works fine.

You need to remove the 'code' tags for it to embed properly :) I'll keep the draft order as up-to-date as I can during the trade period as well.
Yeah I realised after haha.

I thought it would be a good idea (with the future pick trading) to show the current draft order. I'll update at the end of every round and after every trade if I can (if I can't, maybe one of the mods can)?

Thanks to Fly for their spreadsheet. If anybody is curious it can be found here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...latest-rumour.1042055/page-1142#post-44056696

Thanks for that.

Interesting if Essendon would bid on Academy Picks to make their 19,37,55 higher.

Brisbane Freo or Essendon will bid on an academy pick anyways to make sure GWS don't get a top 5 pick plus the 2 top 10 academy selections too.

Or they don't take the risk and just go after the player they want with their pick, or trades are done for that pick, or secret handshakes take place to agree that early bids aren't made. Lots of hypotheticals, but if any bids are made it won't be for the sole purpose of increasing the value of later picks.

Brisbane Freo or Essendon will bid on an academy pick anyways to make sure GWS don't get a top 5 pick plus the 2 top 10 academy selections too.
Essendon won't. Brisbane and Freo are distinct possibilities.

If essendon don't get the 1st pick they will.
Dodoro has previously said that he doesn't research academy prospects that intently, because if they're worth their salt the clubs won't let them leave. So no, they won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon don't waste their list management assets on scouting academy players, and we didn't bid blindly on players we knew nothing about last year (because we could end up with a player that doesn't want to play for us, and miss out on players we do actually want and who do want to play for us). What we choose to do this year might be different, but I don't think we'd bother. The only kid we bid on last year was Silvagni jnr. XD

It hardly matters whether an academy club get pick 5 and two top 10 academy picks anyway. Hopefully it eventually levels out after they get the premiership the system has been designed to give them, and hopefully in turn a big enough fanbase to self-sustain to some extent. In the mean time, they can't keep all of their players with the list reductions, and they certainly can't keep all of the good ones thanks to the salary cap. That means that teams that don't have the financial assets to find or develop talent from the draft will have plenty of opportunities to extract developed players from academy clubs at the trade table instead... and if the league keeps working on increasing the pool of talented youngsters, then maybe getting the right player will come at a cheaper pick value as well.

What is more interesting is that non-academy clubs have traded out of the higher end of the draft, meaning that academy clubs have accumulated a large number of picks, particularly in the first three rounds. Before trades, academy clubs had four picks per round between them. If we assume (for the sake of simplicity) that academy clubs will use all of their picks in the first three rounds on academy selections, then Essendon's pick 55 at the start of the fourth round would be the 43rd non-academy selection. Given the academy clubs have already accumulated an extra eight picks in the first three rounds between them however, that pick will now become the 35th non-academy selection. Two years ago, the 35th pick was the end of the second round... So basically, we currently have the equivalent of four picks in the first two rounds.

Dodoro has previously said that he doesn't research academy prospects that intently, because if they're worth their salt the clubs won't let them leave. So no, they won't.

Leaving their club? What you on about? They haven't been drafted yet.

All I said was that clubs will bid on a player strategically to make sure GWS don't get an extra top 10 selection. Macreadie Is touted as a top 5, but if no one bids for him then they can select anyone else and get him for nothing.

If collingwood finish below Freo (unlikely but possible) and Brisbane finish below essendon (distinctly possible) then essendon most certainly will bid on a GWS player to make them use the pick.
Pretty simple.

All I said was that clubs will bid on a player strategically to make sure GWS don't get an extra top 10 selection. Macreadie Is touted as a top 5, but if no one bids for him then they can select anyone else and get him for nothing.

If collingwood finish below Freo (unlikely but possible) and Brisbane finish below essendon (distinctly possible) then essendon most certainly will bid on a GWS player to make them use the pick.
Pretty simple.
I'm saying that Essendon don't waste time or money researching them when we know that if they're worth their salt, we won't get them anyway. So Essendon won't be one of those clubs.

I'm saying that Essendon don't waste time or money researching them when we know that if they're worth their salt, we won't get them anyway. So Essendon won't be one of those clubs.

No they won't get them, and the point isn't to get them, but to make sure GWS does at the right price. Essendon recruiters will know this and bid IF they need.

No they won't get them, and the point isn't to get them, but to make sure GWS does at the right price. Essendon recruiters will know this and bid IF they need.
You're missing the point. Essendon don't research Academy players. They don't spend any time on them. They're not interested in bidding on them. Dodoro has said as much previously.

Pretty simple.

And you know this how? s**t the champs are still going and the combine hasn't been held yet, so in reality you've got no idea.

And you know this how? s**t the champs are still going and the combine hasn't been held yet, so in reality you've got no idea.

And not being in the inner sanctum of essendons recruiters, neither do you. But we have our opinions and that's fine.

Experts in the AFL recruiting have Macreadie in their top bunch so I'm basing my thoughts on that.

Pretty simple.

It wont happen like that. If we took a non academy player we would lose about 2000 draft points. Thats the equal of 2 kids bid on 10-15 having to be passed. Looking at this years kids if other clubs want to bid strategically they would be better off not bidding early on Macreadie and hoping we took somebody else, that would put maybe Setterfield and another into the open draft.

It wont happen like that. If we took a non academy player we would lose about 2000 draft points. Thats the equal of 2 kids bid on 10-15 having to be passed. Looking at this years kids if other clubs want to bid strategically they would be better off not bidding early on Macreadie and hoping we took somebody else, that would put maybe Setterfield and another into the open draft.

Depending on what GWS has outside the 1st rounders they have, they may be able to get those kind of points available. 3 1st rounders again right now would be pretty crazy for GWS. Name a top 4 team that's ever been able to do that haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back