Heritage Bank Stadium (Carrara)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised they still haven't knocked down the indoor sports centre (The Rollerdome or the Greenhouse for old NBL fans who remember the Gold Coast Rollers), I thought that was going to be part of the redevelopment.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm surprised they still haven't knocked down the indoor sports centre (The Rollerdome or the Greenhouse for old NBL fans who remember the Gold Coast Rollers), I thought that was going to be part of the redevelopment.
Initially they were going to knock it down but they changed the plans and have decided to upgrade it. So they will have three sporting facilities in the Carrara Sports Precinct - Carrara Stadium, Carrara Indoor Stadium and Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre (CSLC). I know the CSLC will include netball and basketball courts in legacy mode and I've heard rumours of a badminton facility being set up so maybe that's what the future holds for the Carrara Indoor Stadium. Here's a video for anyone who wants to get a little nostalgic with that building:

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Looks like Metricon has scored the Gabba's cricket LED permitter signage this year. Surprised the Gabba isn't using it themselves.
we had it along most of the eastern side last year, and has been upgraded to the entire way around for this season. so they aren't using it at the gabba anymore?

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
we've been keeping a thread up to date on our board on the carrara sports and leisure centre getting built next door. thought i might share some of the info gathered over the time of construction.

details as per a report on the local news regarding the suns training facilities
  • Current training and admin facilities are demountables next to the stadium.
  • The club will move into the new facilities in October 2016.
  • It will bring the whole club together under one roof for the first time ever.
  • The top level will be the admin section for up to 80 staff with a balcony and cafe.
  • Players will move into a high performance gym below with physios at their fingertips.
  • A three lane-25 metre lap pool, recovery baths and medical facilities will be included in the high performance gym area.
  • A second training field lined with synthetic grass will be created behind the facility.
  • It will be used during the 2018 Commonwealth Games and can be hired by visiting teams in a range of sports from netball to rugby sevens.
  • Andrew Travis - "Now we can genuinely look our players in the eyes and say we've got the best facilities of any club in the AFL."

proposed floor plan
4CYOFFO.jpg

proposed landscaping plan
IxUFin2.png

artist's impression
v5hUqba.jpg

7th december
wJKuOfO.jpg

fqXx6Ck.jpg

21st december

9th february
9fsVMLH.jpg

12th january
O7MCcdE.jpg

11th march
qoLOYcH.jpg

22nd march (not sure on the accuracy of this date)
lgrfXLg.jpg

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Looks like Metricon has scored the Gabba's cricket LED permitter signage this year. Surprised the Gabba isn't using it themselves.

I suspect the Gabba is sticking to its small strips either side of the interchange bench.

Looks like the cricket LED displays are being shared around as well, with Domain Stadium getting the WACA's displays this year too.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
Is it still on track for this year? The club atleast deserves some decent facilities. I don't think it's right taking this long. By that I mean the afl and all involved should have had it being built before they even started in 11' hopefully jaegar and anyone out of contract likes the final product.

Chicken Parma

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Jaguars, Renegades
Best food options at Metricon? Going there this Saturday coming from Melbourne on holiday!

When I was there (Round 1 2013) I didn't see any interesting food options... just the usual fare.

I was sitting at the end which is to the right of screen if you're watching on TV, and I've heard there's a better variety at the other end. Where will you be sitting?

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
When I was there (Round 1 2013) I didn't see any interesting food options... just the usual fare.

I was sitting at the end which is to the right of screen if you're watching on TV, and I've heard there's a better variety at the other end. Where will you be sitting?
yeh there is a more fancy place at the bottom left (ground level) of the members (broadcast side wing) part of the grandstand - just when the grandstand ends and becomes open .
has pulled pork burgers and some other fancy(er) stuff.

other than that there is usual fare, a kebab place, a gourmet burger place, a Malaysian sate place and yeh, that's about it.

parishfanclub

Team Captain
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Not sure haven't bought tickets yet. I'll probably look to sit in a pocket on the left side of screen(onTV).

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it still on track for this year? The club atleast deserves some decent facilities. I don't think it's right taking this long. By that I mean the afl and all involved should have had it being built before they even started in 11' hopefully jaegar and anyone out of contract likes the final product.
Getting there...

DRxJaXO.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Suns believe they are being short-changed to the tune of up to $1 million each year because of a poor stadium deal. To turn a dollar at Metricon, Gold Coast needs attendances over 13,000, the break-even point. The Suns pay more for police to work the ground than the policing cost at the Gabba.

Surprised me, first ive heard it being a bad deal.
RussellEbertHandball
Police use sporting events as their over-time slush fund.

It's a disgrace and what's even worse is that they brag about it as well - this is the case at most major sporting events across Australia, not limited to Gold Coast.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
The Suns believe they are being short-changed to the tune of up to $1 million each year because of a poor stadium deal. To turn a dollar at Metricon, Gold Coast needs attendances over 13,000, the break-even point. The Suns pay more for police to work the ground than the policing cost at the Gabba.

Surprised me, first ive heard it being a bad deal.
RussellEbertHandball

Is the stadium deal via Stadiums Queensland or whatever it's called.

Basically they screw every professional side over in the state.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wondering, because the Commonwealth games will be held on the Gold Coast this year, does this mean the Suns have to move a couple of their games? Or will the track and field events be held at a different venue?

Totally forgot about the Comm games. Surely a 25,000 seat stadium won't be big enough to host the opening and closing ceremonies?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Just wondering, because the Commonwealth games will be held on the Gold Coast this year, does this mean the Suns have to move a couple of their games? Or will the track and field events be held at a different venue?

Totally forgot about the Comm games. Surely a 25,000 seat stadium won't be big enough to host the opening and closing ceremonies?

its being temporarily boosted to 40k

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It's funny how stadium deals suddenly become s**t when a club starts drawing rubbish crowds.
Suns have always had rubbish crowds, so it's not like there's a change of heart all of a sudden.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know for sure, but if I were to have an educated guess I assume it'd be a similar situation to the Suns in 2011 when they didn't play at Metricon until mid-season.

I think the Suns get the ground back by Round 8-10. They'll also probably host the China game in that period - so they probably only really need to relocate two games. Cairns and Townsville probably are obvious candidates as alternative venues. Bulldogs probably move their Cairns game to Ballarat as a 2nd game there in 2018. So there is a gap for the Suns to fill. And Townsville has hosted a few pre-season games now and is a suitable venue.

Could see the Suns playing a couple home games in Cairns/Townsville long term against low-drawing sides (WCE, Fre, Ade, PA & GWS) actually. The Hawthorn-Launceston & GWS-Canberra arrangements have worked out quite well for the parties involved in them.

Back