Lin Jong - Where do we go to from here

What will the club do after hearing about Jong touring other club facilities ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not understand that there would be nothing to be leaked and no one to be blamed had Lin showed an ounce of tact.

Why are people defending the indefensible?
Looking for better employment conditions in the fickle and cut throat world of an AFL playing career is easily defendable to me.

Why would I have double standards to their employment as opposed to mine or anyone's in the "real world"?

I'm in the it's a bad look but ultimately "meh" group.
It was probably not smart to tour the facilities in person but it's also not smart to run 20m, stop and then handball to a player 1m in front of you. The latter is the far more damaging and regular occurrence with Jong.

Last edited:
I'm in the it's a bad look but ultimately "meh" group.
It was probably not smart to tour the facilities in person but it's also not smart to run 20m, stop and then handball to a player 1m in front of you. The latter the far more damaging and regular occurrence with Jong.

But he doesn't do that because the stats don't say he does mate.

Last edited:

Agree. Although as a last word :wink: I think our one-year offer to Lin seems rather poor.
I'm happy with us only offering 1 year. JJ and Stringer are out of contract next year. I want the flexibility to be able to give them more cash if we need to, so not having a few hundred grand tied into Jong is crucial in case someone comes to JJ or Stringer with a massive deal

Redpath
Campbell
Jong
Honey
Hrovat

All deserve no more than one year extensions when/if we want to keep them.

Have done nothin to cement a list place and losing them is not really a big issue although personally I like Red.

The opposite is offering any of these blokes 3 years and that is just laughable

Redpath
Campbell
Jong
Honey
Hrovat

Have done nothin to cement a list place and losing them is not really a big issue although personally I like Red.

Would be comfortable giving two years to Red and possibly Campbell but agree on the rest.

Some clubs like Gold Coast or Melbourne would be willing to offer the guys you mentioned 3 years and while depth is very important it can't come at the expense of losing our top talent so I agree 1 year contracts have to be used.

Redpath
Campbell
Jong
Honey
Hrovat

Hard to argue with that Matt. They are our fringe players, although there will almost certainly be other clubs who will offer each of them more than we will. That's the way of the AFL and most pro sports. There is usually someone stupid enough, or desperate enough, or with a list that's poor enough that they will make a decent offer to a fringe player if they are playing some seniors at a good team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

360 will be fascinating on Monday. Buckley can expect a pretty thorough examination. Gerard might go James Hird on him and Robbo will frothing at the mouth.

He's going the distance
He's going for bucks
All alone (all alone)
All alone to a place full of schmucks...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He's kicking and tackling and going third man up
His contract demands are really just too much!

Redpath
Campbell
Jong
Honey
Hrovat

It's not that black and white MD. With more and more players moving and probable loosening of free agency rules salary cap management is becoming more and more prudent.

If you offer players more years they're more likely to take a lower salary, and therefore if you pick the right players you can get real value from them. For example, Tory Dickson with weak form this year all in all probably deserves a one year deal. But I'm okay with a two year deal because we're probably paying him less per year, and if he finds his form of last year we've got a bargain on our hands.

It's the same with blokes like Hrovat. He might "deserve" a one year deal but I would have no qualms with giving him a 3 or 4 year deal on the proviso that it's a cheaper deal. Say we sign him to less than $1 million over 4 year, say 220k per year. If he can cement himself in our best 22 in 4 years time, which isn't a completely crazy theory, we will have a massive bargain on our hands because we're probably paying him 200k less per year than his market value when am average player in 4 years time would be getting paid about 400k per year. But having him locked in for 4 years is the trade-off of that, and obviously you're committed to that contract

So simply saying "only worth 1 year deal" doesn't give justice to the complexities of salary cap and list management

It's not that black and white MD. With more and more players moving and probable loosening of free agency rules salary cap management is becoming more and more prudent.

If you offer players more years they're more likely to take a lower salary, and therefore if you pick the right players you can get real value from them. For example, Tory Dickson with weak form this year all in all probably deserves a one year deal. But I'm okay with a two year deal because we're probably paying him less per year, and if he finds his form of last year we've got a bargain on our hands.

It's the same with blokes like Hrovat. He might "deserve" a one year deal but I would have no qualms with giving him a 3 or 4 year deal on the proviso that it's a cheaper deal. Say we sign him to less than $1 million over 4 year, say 220k per year. If he can cement himself in our best 22 in 4 years time, which isn't a completely crazy theory, we will have a massive bargain on our hands because we're probably paying him 200k less per year than his market value when am average player in 4 years time would be getting paid about 400k per year. But having him locked in for 4 years is the trade-off of that, and obviously you're committed to that contract

So simply saying "only worth 1 year deal" doesn't give justice to the complexities of salary cap and list management
This is the Steph Curry theory. Worked out pretty well for GS

Y

Mate if we offer Hrovat a 3-4 year deal I will personally go and burn the joint down.

We have to tie up 28-30 players and the rest we have room to move on.

Smart management says you do not tie up 3-4 years in "maybe" players coz they hang on the bottom of your list taking up space unable to move on.

I'd much rather pay a higher rate and have the ability to drop them when we need to and then if they step up reward them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back