MMA-UFC UFC 200: Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt - Jones has USADA Violation

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Look, you can't blame DC for fighting to his strengths but honestly, listening to the crowd there and watching the fight DC went from everyone favourite underdog to the most boring fighter in the world in about 2 mins.

I don't agree with it but thems the facts.

On another note Tate, renowned for her toughness and getting her arm broken for her unwillingness to tap, quit well before that choke was under the chin. What was that all about.

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
image.jpeg

I'll just leave this here.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Look, you can't blame DC for fighting to his strengths but honestly, listening to the crowd there and watching the fight DC went from everyone favourite underdog to the most boring fighter in the world in about 2 mins.

I don't agree with it but thems the facts.

On another note Tate, renowned for her toughness and getting her arm broken for her unwillingness to tap, quit well before that choke was under the chin. What was that all about.

Her nose was a *in mess dude!

I haven't read up on any post-fight medical stuff, but I'd suggest maybe her nose was broken, and with Nunes' arm across her mouth she just couldn't breathe.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
People need to give Brock a little more credit, he isn't just a pro wrestler; he's a legitimate former HW champ. He has weaknesses that certain matchups expose, but as evidenced today he certainly has strengths that make him a nightmare for many as well.

Correct, and HW is probably the only division you can get away with being one dimensional. He won the strap and defended it twice, AFAIK no one has defended it more times, maybe Timmeh? Anyway he's legit of course, 5 years away and he dominates a ranked fighter, don't think anyone else could manage that.

Hopefully Brock comes back, a fight against Cain seems to make a lot of sense. And probably Browne v Hunt now, not sure if I like that match up for Hunt but I'm done writing him off.

Main card was a bit lacklustre, don't blame DC for fighting the way he did, as he said in the post fight presser it would have been a disaster had he lost so he did was was needed. Edgar v Aldo was pretty similar to the first one as I remember, close with Aldo just doing enough.

And * that service outage, will be calling Foxtel today.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I enjoyed the main card more than most it seems like. So happy to see Aldo and Nunes win. Cain too. Really wanted Hunt to win, but Lesnar looked great and Hunt loses a lot so no big deal really. Cormier/Silva came together so late that I have no issue at all with the fight being underwhelming.

Tate/Nunes was a pretty simple fight to analyse. Either Nunes destroys Tate early and gets the finish or Tate eventually gains the upper hand and wins late. Tate winning seemed more likely because she's tough and aside from the Rousey fight hasn't been finished early for ages. Nunes was a beast in there. She ran through Tate. That was a scary display from her.

Lesnar looked good. Especially in the 2nd round when he had to deal with Hunt standing for the entire round. He got hit a couple of times and didn't respond badly. Got takedowns in the other 2 rounds and beat Hunt up from top position. I would have loved to see Hunt win such a big fight, but it wasn't to be.

Cormier did well. Not much to say about this fight because neither man had any time to prepare for the match-up. Cormier got takedowns as everyone expected and did a good job with his ground and pound. Silva landed a very nice body kick late in the fight. If he had been able to finish Cormier there I'd have gone crazy.

Aldo looked sublime. Edgar was seemingly getting better and better every fight and then Aldo yesterday didn't let Edgar get much of anything going. I'll have to watch it again to score it properly. I thought Aldo could have easily won every round. He landed the cleaner, harder, better strikes every round and Edgar didn't land the volume necessary to offset that imo. 2nd, 4th, and 5th rounds were very clear for Aldo to me. 1st and 3rd are the rounds you could give to Edgar. Aldo was talking about bringing back WEC Aldo and I'm glad it was just talk. Aldo's much better now than he was back then because he's less wild and more technical.

Velasquez looked good. If he'd lost this we'd know that he's really fallen off after all the injuries. He should have won and he did. Great. He'll probably fight a tougher opponent next and we'll see how he goes when that happens.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
Saw some of the press conference, Brock does what Brock wants to do.. Seriously what an ego this guy has. Does anybody else hopes he doesn't come back. I wasn't impressed. Surely this sport doesn't need anymore arrogant utensil heads does it?
Compared to post 100, i thought he was quite humble in this press conference. Gave Hunt plenty of props, spoke humbly about himself in how he's come off 5 years away and got the win.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Probably being excessively harsh but I'm saying she quit. Choke wasn't in.
Choke was wounding her mouth/jaw, obviously it wasn't on the neck. Nose was all kinds of chewed and I'm pretty certain she was out on her feet, I think even after she tapped she then tried to start grabbing Nunes and the ref. She was defo done.

As for the DC fight getting booed.. The crowd were charged, probably half cut, and they wanted action, they obviously don't get to see much action when it's on the ground, but yeah the Fight was always going to go there.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I enjoyed the main card more than most it seems like. So happy to see Aldo and Nunes win. Cain too. Really wanted Hunt to win, but Lesnar looked great and Hunt loses a lot so no big deal really. Cormier/Silva came together so late that I have no issue at all with the fight being underwhelming.

Tate/Nunes was a pretty simple fight to analyse. Either Nunes destroys Tate early and gets the finish or Tate eventually gains the upper hand and wins late. Tate winning seemed more likely because she's tough and aside from the Rousey fight hasn't been finished early for ages. Nunes was a beast in there. She ran through Tate. That was a scary display from her.

Lesnar looked good. Especially in the 2nd round when he had to deal with Hunt standing for the entire round. He got hit a couple of times and didn't respond badly. Got takedowns in the other 2 rounds and beat Hunt up from top position. I would have loved to see Hunt win such a big fight, but it wasn't to be.

Cormier did well. Not much to say about this fight because neither man had any time to prepare for the match-up. Cormier got takedowns as everyone expected and did a good job with his ground and pound. Silva landed a very nice body kick late in the fight. If he had been able to finish Cormier there I'd have gone crazy.

Aldo looked sublime. Edgar was seemingly getting better and better every fight and then Aldo yesterday didn't let Edgar get much of anything going. I'll have to watch it again to score it properly. I thought Aldo could have easily won every round. He landed the cleaner, harder, better strikes every round and Edgar didn't land the volume necessary to offset that imo. 2nd, 4th, and 5th rounds were very clear for Aldo to me. 1st and 3rd are the rounds you could give to Edgar. Aldo was talking about bringing back WEC Aldo and I'm glad it was just talk. Aldo's much better now than he was back then because he's less wild and more technical.

Velasquez looked good. If he'd lost this we'd know that he's really fallen off after all the injuries. He should have won and he did. Great. He'll probably fight a tougher opponent next and we'll see how he goes when that happens.
:thumbsu: spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Choke was wounding her mouth/jaw, obviously it wasn't on the neck. Nose was all kinds of chewed and I'm pretty certain she was out on her feet, I think even after she tapped she then tried to start grabbing Nunes and the ref. She was defo done.

:thumbsu: That was my take too.

I enjoyed the card overall. Didn't quite know what to make of the yellow mat, but guess looking back it will make the event memorable.

Thought Aldo's performance was undoubtedly the highlight from yesterday. I was concerned that his KO loss would have left him a little gun shy and that Frankie would be able to outwork him to a decision. The first round I was feeling very smart until the last 30 seconds or so and from that point onwards it was a pretty convincing performance. His countering looked fantastic, his takedown defense was incredible... I really can't say just how impressed I was by his performance. I'm crushed for Frankie though, he's been given the hardest possible road back to the title and has fallen at the last hurdle. Hoping he eventually gets the McGregor fight as he deserves the payday. Failing that, a drop to 135 to fight Cruz would be amazing.

Really impressed by Nunes and Gastelum as well. Nunes was always going to start fast, but to dominate Meisha like that after how hard she's proven to be to put away was incredible. Having said that, I don't think she keeps the title for long. If Holly gets her next, I'd expect Holly's movement and boxing to frustrate and tire her out and if it's Ronda I would expect a quick clinch to armbar win.

KG's striking looked as good as I've ever seen it. His work at Kings is obviously paying major dividends. He looked light on his feet and his strikes were surprisingly quick for such a big guy. Now that he's hopefully got his weight cut under control, I'm hoping to see him fight another top level guy, potentially in a title eliminator.

Lauzon stopping Sanchez was another real wow moment for me. I was confident I could hit Diego with a 2x4 (Hacksaw Jim Duggan style for all the wrestling fans that have come in with Brock back in the UFC) and he would just mean mug me. That Lauzon was able to not only rock him, but put him away with strikes was a fantastic achievment.

Miller has looked pretty poor for a while now, so to go out against him like Gomi did yesterday makes me feel sad for Takanori. Hoping he hangs them up in the near future as I don't see a lot of winnable fights left for him at 155.

daicosdemis

All Australian
Jul 5, 2011
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
AEK,Chelsea fc
Saw some of the press conference, Brock does what Brock wants to do.. Seriously what an ego this guy has. Does anybody else hopes he doesn't come back. I wasn't impressed. Surely this sport doesn't need anymore arrogant utensil heads does it?
If you don't like him then you should be hoping he comes back. Miocic and Velasquez absolutely make mince meat out of him.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
what can you say about a fully stacked card like that, I dont see why it got dissed as much as it has I enjoyed it. the Anderson v Dc was as expected not much you can do about it. the only thing that comes with a card like this is alot these fights would be really good as 5 round fight card main events. id really like to see any top 4 or 5 guys against each other be compulsory 5 round affair.

Brock is still the king of MMA, just being Brock his size and strength was amazing to see, the buzz that goes around with him all we got to compare him to atm is Connor and Rousey. Connor has great momentum but that has come from lots and lots of smack talk, media appearances he has worked long and hard to build this up. Brock just does it, if he was to come back it wouldnt surprise me if he had a crack.

early prelims were amazing great to see lauzon not get destroyed.

Hendricks how far has he fallen was terrible to see, not long ago he went 5 rounds and on most peoples cards beat of the Goats to this, i dont know if he is just loosing it or what but sad.

Penna looks like she is the real deal wonder who they put her up against next,

Cain great hope he can stay fit looked like he was back HW division is looking good for a change

Frankie really gutted for him i dont know if the long lay off had anything to do with it or Aldo just has his number just hope Connor defends cause id like to see Aldo have a second chance.

Nunnes just great performance this division keeps getting hotter, think they all play into rhondas hands with holly being the only real counter striker. all pressure fighters that are going to play right into her hands. I think the UFC is in a good spot right now time will tell how the sport looks like at UFC 300.

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
This would have to be one of the higher paid cards in UFC history.

Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Amanda Nunes ($100,000 + no win bonus = $100,000) def. Miesha Tate ($500,000)
Brock Lesnar ($2,500,000 + no win bonus = $2,500,000) def. Mark Hunt ($700,000)
Daniel Cormier ($500,000 + no win bonus = $500,000) def. Anderson Silva ($600,000)
Jose Aldo ($400,000 + $100,000 = $500,000) def. Frankie Edgar ($190,000)
Cain Velasquez ($300,000 + no win bonus = $300,000) def. Travis Browne ($120,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Julianna Pena ($32,000 + $32,000 = $64,000) def. Cat Zingano ($35,000)
Kelvin Gastelum ($53,000 + $33,000 = $83,000)* def. Johny Hendricks ($80,000)*
T.J. Dillashaw ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Raphael Assuncao ($42,000)
Sage Northcutt ($50,000 + $50,000 = $100,000) def. Enrique Marin ($13,000)

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Joe Lauzon ($54,000 + $54,000 = $108,000) def. Diego Sanchez ($80,000)
Gegard Mousasi ($75,000 + $35,000 = $110,000) def. Thiago Santos ($28,000)
Jim Miller ($59,000 + $59,000 = $118,000) def. Takanori Gomi ($55,000)

I hate seeing guys like Sanchez, Lauzon, Miller, Gomi, Assuncao, Dliiashaw, Hendricks, Gastelum, Pena, Zingano, and Mousassi, all earn the same or less than Sage Northcutt. He is getting double what TJ gets, which is offensive.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
This might be an unpopular opinon but it wasn't a great card. I'd argue it wasn't even a good card.

Pacing was a huge issue. All the air went out of the room after the Aldo/Edgar fight and then Brock v Hunt not being a finish seemed a huge let down.

As i said before i completely get why DC did what he did and you cant blame him but it was an ugly fight as even a seasoned and well educated viewer, let alone a "just bleed" or new to the sport viewer.

Then to top it all off Mainevent goes an botches the broadcast.

Beyond that the constant showing us the crowds view of the promos (the octagon shaped screen was cool but not for people at home to watch on).

I'll watch any card, i love MMA, but as far as compelling viewing goes in the UFC this one didn't deliver.

I think the 2 cards previous didnt help 200 as well. They had great fights topped off with awesome main events.

Considering they were barley premoted compared to 200 everyone expectations were so high.

I think the DC criticism is unfair but i get why ppl were bummed about it as i was in the moment as well. Everyone knew Silva wasnt going to be able to stop the takedowns considering his lack of prep and we/I hoped DC would give us a show and Anderson a chance (that sounds even more stupid than I thought it would).

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I've seen some gifs from the Aldo/Edgar fight lately. I don't think there's been a fighter with better overall defence in MMA than Aldo.

His striking defence is great because it incorporates everything necessary to avoid being hit cleanly. Rory MacDonald's defence is lacking in a way because of his lack of head movement. Aldo has great head movement and great footwork. Aldo blocks strikes only when he has to. You can't rely on blocking strikes with your arms and hands in MMA because the gloves are tiny and strikes will get through. Aldo has all these other methods to defend and then if you get through them he'll block the strikes. McGregor's win over him in just 13 seconds is all the more impressive because of Aldo's incredibly good defence.

And Aldo's takedown defence is almost unbelievable. In a way it's a bit unfair to call it takedown defence because his footwork combined with his insane athletic gifts almost makes the takedown attempt non-existent. What an amazing athlete he is. So fast, explosive and powerful. Then when you do end up getting him off his feet he usually doesn't allow his back to be flat on the mat (gif below shows this extremely well).

aldo-takedown-defense.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back