Analysis Danger + Kerridge VS Milera + Menzel + Gore

winning

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong don't win the flag with Danger then they undoubtedly lose this trade.

That's a bit like saying we've lost the Thommo trade so far. Pick 13 and a mid 2nd rounder for a top 5 league wide player is a win whether they win a flag or not. If they can't do it with Danger, then Milera and whoever went at the other pick weren't going to do it. Having Danger gets them closer to it than those picks would.

They won the trade, it's not even in question.

He has been a massive win for them even if they dont win the flag. 2016 was looking like a poor year and they have traded their way back into flag possiblities.
He came to their side for 400k less than he could have got on the open market and has been a promotional wonder for them. Believe it or not clubs like players like him that can bring supporters to the ground, members to sign up and bring in cash from Merch sales.
Look how our club has played up on the cult of Eddie.
It was a massive get for them that has paid off big time.
OK - I agree that merch sales etc are important ... but surely the aim of every club is to win premierships.

I think that Danger could help Geelong win a premiership, but putting up his merch sales as a benefit of the trade is not in context to me.

The club would be happy that they are making more money, getting more memberships etc ... of course. BUT surely that is the chips on the side, not the main meal?

When we are comparing players like this thread aren't we talking about the benefit to the team?

That's a bit like saying we've lost the Thommo trade so far. Pick 13 and a mid 2nd rounder for a top 5 league wide player is a win whether they win a flag or not. If they can't do it with Danger, then Milera and whoever went at the other pick weren't going to do it. Having Danger gets them closer to it than those picks would.

They won the trade, it's not even in question.

I dont think its a question of who won the trade, we had a gun to our head and had to minimise the loss on the situation, being fair not sure if they would have got much more out of it, we didnt have a lot of choices left to us. Not concerned at the loss of Kerridge he wouldnt break into the team we have anyway, the way we are travelling we have a nyumber of players in the two's who deserve a crack but simply arent good enough against the first 22. Milera has huge upside, Menzel has been a little unlucky and started off on the wrong foot putting him behind the eight ball, Gore hasnt been what I expected but has time on his side and like Kerridge would struggle to break into the team.

Not sure how those three will go next year, really only one retirement maybe Douglass slows a little and everyones per hate gets dropped. Although they wont say it Im sure a few second tier crows players are hoping a few more injuries occur to give them an opportunity

I don't think you can ever "win" a FA/DFA trade involving an elite player like Dangerfield. Just by definition you're not going to get the same current value. The question really is, did the club do as well as could be expected, and the answer is probably yes, we got some pretty decent players with some potential upside. And that's the best you can do.

You can't win the trade when you're losing a player like Dangerfield. Even if we'd pressed harder and gotten more I doubt it would be classed as a win.

It's all water under the bridge for me. Aside from my hatred of Tippett, I don't have any ill will against any of our defectors. Yes, I still think it's hilarious when Dangerfield shanks the ball into the forward 50 but I no longer have that seething anger I felt at the start of the year. I'm more or less indifferent about Geelong overall. I spend my time hating on teams that actually deserve it. Teams like Essendon and Melbourne.

Last edited:
You can't win the trade when you're losing a player like Dangerfield. Even if we'd pressed harder and gotten more I doubt it would be classed as a win.

It's all water over the bridge for me. Aside from my hatred of Tippett, I don't have any ill will against any of our defectors. Yes, I still think it's hilarious when Dangerfield shanks the ball into the forward 50 but I no longer have that seething anger I felt at the start of the year. I'm more or less indifferent about Geelong overall. I spend my time hating on teams that actually deserve it. Teams like Essendon and Melbourne.
Can't say I'm as forgiving as you on Jack Gunston's defection.

It's all water over the bridge for me. Aside from my hatred of Tippett, I don't have any ill will against any of our defectors. Yes, I still think it's hilarious when Dangerfield shanks the ball into the forward 50 but I no longer have that seething anger I felt at the start of the year. I'm more or less indifferent about Geelong overall. I spend my time hating on teams that actually deserve it. Teams like Essendon and Melbourne.

If the water is going over the bridge then you should consider building a higher bridge.:p

On a serious note, the team success we've had so far this year has made his loss easier for me to forget. Would've been a lot worse if we were languishing outside of the top eight and Geelong in there.

GWS got 2 top 10 picks for out of contract Treloar

Once Geelong couldn't afford to offer Danger a fat FA contract then he has the same status as Treloar

We got so much less that it's hard to call it a win with a straight face

We don't know if Geelong could or couldn't offer a godfather offer, they may have looked at the trade discussions and decided they could live with the trade and still retain cap room, if the trade wasn't acceptable they may have brought cash and blown us away!

Too many unknowns and it was done amicably

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all water under the bridge for me. Aside from my hatred of Tippett, I don't have any ill will against any of our defectors. Yes, I still think it's hilarious when Dangerfield shanks the ball into the forward 50 but I no longer have that seething anger I felt at the start of the year. I'm more or less indifferent about Geelong overall. I spend my time hating on teams that actually deserve it. Teams like Essendon and Melbourne.

What did Melbourne do? Besides being terrible.

We don't know if Geelong could or couldn't offer a godfather offer, they may have looked at the trade discussions and decided they could live with the trade and still retain cap room, if the trade wasn't acceptable they may have brought cash and blown us away!

Too many unknowns and it was done amicably
My assumption was that the trade was the cost of NOT having to make him a godfather option to pry him lose for nothing. Most likely getting Henderson, Smith and S.Selwood was dependant on getting Dangerfield for $800,000 rather than $1.2+ million a year, so just trade for him instead of offering him big $ straight up to try and get him for nothing and THEN being forced to trade once we matched it with the extra salary. Just come straight to the table and get it done and get him for a reasonable price, rather than dragging it out and costing yourself.

All this talk of Milera. imo we were always going to get Milera even if we only had our original first round pick.
Realistically it was
Danger + 50 for 9 (*Doedee), 28 (Seedsman) and Gore

Last edited:
Nah. Without Danger in their side they wouldnt be top 8. He has sold that much merch for them its not funny.
Their whole rectuiting strategy last season was to reset their window into premiership mode instantly. They said as much once they got all 4 of their targets. If they don't win a flag for the duration of Danger's contract then it was a failure.

All this talk of Milera. imo we were always going to get Milera even if we only had our original first round pick.
Realistically it was
Danger + 50 for 9 (*Doedee), 28 (Seedsman) and Gore

thats not true. doedee was pick 17 (our pick), milera was pick 11 (the one we got from geelong), you can't say that milera would last until pick 17... otherwise we would have used 11 on someone else.

GWS got 2 top 10 picks for out of contract Treloar

Once Geelong couldn't afford to offer Danger a fat FA contract then he has the same status as Treloar

We got so much less that it's hard to call it a win with a straight face
Also Gws gave the pies a 2nd rounder back.

Back