Analysis Danger + Kerridge VS Milera + Menzel + Gore

winning

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk of Milera. imo we were always going to get Milera even if we only had our original first round pick.
Realistically it was
Danger + 50 for 9 (*Doedee), 28 (Seedsman) and Gore
Incorrect. As others have mentioned, "9" (actually 11) was used on Milera while "28" (actually 33) was traded with Kerridge to Carlton for Menzel. 13 (which became 17) was ours already and used on Doedee. 32 (which became 37) also ours already and was traded for Seedsman.

It's still a joke we didn't get a single "real" top 10 pick for Dangerfield.

thats not true. doedee was pick 17 (our pick), milera was pick 11 (the one we got from geelong), you can't say that milera would last until pick 17... otherwise we would have used 11 on someone else.

Correct I know Milera was our first pick but I maintain if we didn't have both picks we would have got only Milera. Even if we only had the later first rounder.

Absolutely no way Milera lasts to our 2nd pick...

I disagree, I think he would have slid to the pick we used on Doedee, he was regarded by many as the biggest flight risk of the entire draft. iirc was ranked easily above Ach Chee but they thought they couldn't keep Milera. Doedee went only 4 picks later not including himmelberg. Carlton would have been crazy to pick another SA player after what we have done to them. Not to mention Milera was relatively late bolter, initially slated more so the second round.

If you disagree that's fine, I'm not here to change anyone's mind, but that was certainly my vibe at the time of the draft.

Didn't we want that acadamy pick but missed out?

Yeah we had a crack at Himmelberg but GWS matched it. imo thats why we paid somewhat overs for Doedee when we could of perhaps used a second rounder even though we didnt have one. Himmelberg was a bit of a later bolter too so wasnt unrealistic that GWS wouldnt match.

Not to mention Milera was relatively late bolter, initially slated more so the second round.
That is just plain wrong, right from the opening discussions on last year's draft Milera was touted as a certain 1st round pick, and he then franked it with top performances against the men in the SANFL including an outstanding game in the finals.....you're attempting to re-write history I'm afraid.

That is just plain wrong, right from the opening discussions on last year's draft Milera was touted as a certain 1st round pick, and he then franked it with top performances against the men in the SANFL including an outstanding game in the finals.....you're attempting to re-write history I'm afraid.

Look at the old phantom drafts and he is outside the first round. They update the order closer to the draft and in the last 2-3 weeks he really moved. Of course he was on everyones radar playing in the SANFL. I still maintain he was a flight risk.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-04/2015-draft-phantom-form-guide
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/09/17/the-top-60-draft-prospects-of-2015/
http://www.foxsports.com.au/breakin...t/news-story/0e342893885a1ca4d671cc0d3f2ef08d

Absolutely no way Milera lasts to our 2nd pick...

After we picked up Milera it went :
Charlie Curnow - Big bodied mid (in vogue given success of cripps) and brother played for club
Matthew Kennedy - GWS Academy
Eric Hipwood -Brisbane Academy
Daniel Rioli - Small forward
Harrison Himmelberg - GWS Academy
Then finally Doedee

Outside the academy players, Curnow and Rioli were the only other players. Many would of rated Milera a better player but who are you going to chose? The SA player with homesickness or a home grown Rioli?

MILERA WAS ALWAYS GOING TO THE CROWS

giphy.gif

Charlie Curnow - Big bodied mid (in vogue given success of cripps) and brother played for club
Then finally Doedee

Outside the academy players, Curnow and Rioli were the only other players. Many would of rated Milera a better player but who are you going to chose? The SA player with homesickness or a home grown Rioli?

giphy.gif

Your clutching at straws now...

Haha, mate I saw a shitload of Daniel Rioli locally, no way in hell Richmond don't take Milera before him......

Spot on :thumbsu: .....the real feeling was that Milera was going to be picked by Gold Coast .....it was Callum Ah Chee that went earlier than expected to Gold Coast

Yeah we had a crack at Himmelberg but GWS matched it. imo thats why we paid somewhat overs for Doedee when we could of perhaps used a second rounder even though we didnt have one. Himmelberg was a bit of a later bolter too so wasnt unrealistic that GWS wouldnt match.
Now you're just regurgitating rubbish posted on this board as your own thoughts now :rolleyes:

Spot on :thumbsu: .....the real feeling was that Milera was going to be picked by Gold Coast .....it was Callum Ah Chee that went earlier than expected to Gold Coast

Exactly. Would love to know your opinion Bicks on why they took Ah Chee over Milera given you seem to be the authority on the matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly Hamish Ogilvie and his recruiting team didn't agree with you, that my friend is game, set and match.

Huh?

I'm not saying Doedee isn't worth a 1st round pick. I'm saying the market didn't rate him as one at the time. We will never know where he would have went if we didn't pick him up.

There was some discussion pre-Draft that Milera had a high "go home" factor

Many viewed Milera the superior player to Ah Chee but it was regarded GC chose to pass on Milera given the go home factor. I wouldn't have found it hard to believe Richmond would have done the same thing and chose Rioli instead. A player so terrible somehow managing to play 11 games so far this year. Everyone is welcome to disagree.

Last edited:
Huh?

I'm not saying Doedee isn't worth a 1st round pick. I'm saying the market didn't rate him as one at the time. We will never know where he would have went if we didn't pick him up.

WTF has Doedee got to do with anything, Ogilvie and his recruiting team chose to use our 1st pick on Milera, end of story, that's all that matters here anything else is purely your misplaced speculation.

WTF has Doedee got to do with anything, Ogilvie and his recruiting team chose to use our 1st pick on Milera, end of story, that's all that matters here anything else is purely your misplaced speculation.

WTF indeed
Of course Milera is worth a 1st rounder???

2/3 of the way through the season, i have little doubt we are a better team without Danger.

Agree.

There are some campaigner media people that have interviewed Pyke suggesting what if Danger was still with us and in our team?

Thats not a simple question nor is it an appropriate question. For starters, the team I felt has taken a step forward because of the perception, no Danger no Crows, which IMO would have upset a lot of players and staff and inspired them to lift their game.

Then finally Doedee

giphy.gif

By the time draft day rolled around, Richmond were absolute certainties to select Milera over Rioli if both were available.

Yes, Milera was regarded as a flight risk by many clubs, including the Suns. Richmond were not one of those clubs.

By the time draft day rolled around, Richmond were absolute certainties to select Milera over Rioli if both were available.

Yes, Milera was regarded as a flight risk by many clubs, including the Suns. Richmond were not one of those clubs.

Yes, Richmond were keen on Milera, if I am not mistaken the Blues were right up there as well. In hindsight, would have selected him.

Milera would have likely played a handful of games and be traded after two seasons if taken by Richmond.

9thmond.

Their whole rectuiting strategy last season was to reset their window into premiership mode instantly. They said as much once they got all 4 of their targets. If they don't win a flag for the duration of Danger's contract then it was a failure.

The re-set might be a failure, but they won handsomely with that particular trade. There are many reasons why they fail to achieve a premiership. Suggesting this flag is the pass/fail on the Danger deal is complete nonsense.

Just thought I'd mention it, Daniel Rioli is a Tiwi Islander not a "home grown" product by the way, he had been boarding at St. Patricks College here in Ballarat for several years playing school football under a sporting scholarship and for the last couple of years TAC with the Ballarat Rebels the same as both Yestin Eades [WA, Essendon] and Jacob Hopper [Riverina, GWS]

Back