Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Really dont know where Tabs is at not totally prepared to write him off lets see how he goes next year without Pavlich for a full year hope he steps up.

Has anyone else noticed that - in addition to his lovely habit of kicking rolling goals from tight in the pocket - Tab's goal kicks of late very rarely deviate from their original trajectory in mid air? His shots for goal are frequently straight as knitting needles - that points to some very good kicking technique on his part. If Tabs can clunk a few more in better positions, he has the potential to become an excellent kick for goal.

Has anyone else noticed that - in addition to his lovely habit of kicking rolling goals from tight in the pocket - Tab's goal kicks of late very rarely deviate from their original trajectory in mid air? His shots for goal are frequently straight as knitting needles - that points to some very good kicking technique on his part. If Tabs can clunk a few more in better positions, he has the potential to become an excellent kick for goal.

A lot of his kicking is really good - set shots, snaps, dribbles, field kicks. He is such a confidence player, as long as his confidence is up he is a good kick.

I saw him kick one of those dribblers off the right at training over the summer. He put it thru the middle. Ross told him not to do it.

A lot of his kicking is really good - set shots, snaps, dribbles, field kicks. He is such a confidence player, as long as his confidence is up he is a good kick.

I saw him kick one of those dribblers off the right at training over the summer. He put it thru the middle. Ross told him not to do it.
Dont listen to Ross.listern to his own instinct .

Ross is partially correct - centring the ball should theoretically be a higher percentage play and should result in more goals over time (but it's also a slower play - you don't always have time to centre the ball without making it a contested situation).. but if Tabs can consistently pull-off that kick successfully in training then he might be given a license to go for it in-game (making him a bit like Abdul-jabbar with his signature skyhook jump shot - arguably the lowest percentage shot there is in Basketball, but also the hardest to defend and the method by which Kareem scored the bulk of his points).

Tabs shows good signs of making it a high-percentage kick, so I think he should continue to practice it off both wings, so defenders have to start thinking twice about shepherding him towards the deep pocket to make it harder for him to score, as they are currently doing.

Ross also has to confront the fact that our F50 entry kicks are so shoddy, that pocket is usually where the ball ends up after sailing over the forward's head.

Don't shut him down Ross - develop some set plays for when the ball ends up there after a fast break transition.

Last edited:
Really dont know where Tabs is at not totally prepared to write him off lets see how he goes next year without Pavlich for a full year hope he steps up.

I would have said that some of Tabs best performances have happened when Pav has been unavailable. Sure we must have several options but I can't say I am worried about Tabs performance falling away because of Pav's absence. The thing we need is some more quality in the forward line McCarthy would be a positive start.

I would have said that some of Tabs best performances have happened when Pav has been unavailable. Sure we must have several options but I can't say I am worried about Tabs performance falling away because of Pav's absence. The thing we need is some more quality in the forward line McCarthy would be a positive start.
Yeah I think the issue is we still need other tall targets as well. We can't expect him to play really well when he's the only guy in our forward line over 190cm. Still confident Apeness and Smith can provide enough of a big body presence up forward for us next year but it's going to take at least a full year for them to develop themselves in to reasonable key forwards. Excited about Yarran, Walters, Langdon (hopefully) crumbing off these guys next season. Will stretch the defence giving Tabs a 1-on-1 which he should win > 50% if we can kick to his advantage (aka SPS, Hill(s)).

It's only the WAFL I know, but Taberner had a great outing. 23 disposals, 8 marks and 2.1 against West Coast reserves (MacKenzie was on him a bit..). Great response from him. I'm jumping on him as official buddy next season ;).
Go away he's mine ;)

On a serious note right call to drop him this week, needed it and hopefully will play out the season in purple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A handy 20 disposal, 7 marks and 5 goals straight for the Taberner against East Fremantle on the weekend. Need this across HF next week that's for sure. Some sort of target down the wings would be great.

I would rather Tabs stays at Peel and builds a solid case over a number of weeks, hopefully getting a game after banging the door down. Yo-yoing between Peel and AFL can't be great for confidence. For the same reason I'd give Kersten a run of a few games.

Yeah this. WAFL is such a long way from AFL, and current East Freo WAFL is even further. I don't think you can put too much weight in the numbers on the weekend (though cred to Tabs - you can only play to what's in front of you and he's at least given the selectors something serious to look at). But I'm sick of this setting up to fail business which has gone on too long for him - he's had his chances sure and maybe he's just not good enough. But if we're going to swap Kersten and Tabs every week for form, we'll end up just having two hopeful forwards with virtually no confidence.

Just pick one and back them for a few weeks. Yeah, Kersten was crap in Rnd 1, but either one isn't going to be a game winner, so just carry them for a bit. Let the other one (Tabs in this case) build a game at WAFL level where he near forces his way into the team, then, even if he has a stinker, let him hold his spot for a few weeks at least. That's how I see it.

Yeah this. WAFL is such a long way from AFL, and current East Freo WAFL is even further. I don't think you can put too much weight in the numbers on the weekend (though cred to Tabs - you can only play to what's in front of you and he's at least given the selectors something serious to look at). But I'm sick of this setting up to fail business which has gone on too long for him - he's had his chances sure and maybe he's just not good enough. But if we're going to swap Kersten and Tabs every week for form, we'll end up just having two hopeful forwards with virtually no confidence.

Just pick one and back them for a few weeks. Yeah, Kersten was crap in Rnd 1, but either one isn't going to be a game winner, so just carry them for a bit. Let the other one (Tabs in this case) build a game at WAFL level where he near forces his way into the team, then, even if he has a stinker, let him hold his spot for a few weeks at least. That's how I see it.

Most sensible post I have read for ages

I agree to a point but having only Cmac and Kersten structurally is not tall enough. Sandi and Griffin do not really help down there either. Maybe bring in tabs and leave Kersten there, CMac is pretty mobile and good at ground level also. I am not really a Taberner fan he is not the strongest overhead mark but he is more of a threat than Kersten or CMac. I am gutted Apeness is injured again I had high hopes for him this year to be second ruck and tall target.

Might as Well back kersten until round 5 vs the Kangaroos.

Would Tabs, Kersten and Mcarthy all in the same team work? Tabs would cause problems with his height. Kersten wont get as tagged.
I'd drop griff and get tabs in - go in with 1 ruck
Stupid option, what happens if sandi gets injured?

Might as Well back kersten until round 5 vs the Kangaroos.

Would Tabs, Kersten and Mcarthy all in the same team work? Tabs would cause problems with his height. Kersten wont get as tagged.

Stupid option, what happens if sandi gets injured?

Its stupid having Sandi and Griff in the same side. Pace is the name of the game now and Griff now offers nothing. Sandy is still the top tap ruck in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back