VFL Sandringham v Casey Sunday 11:40 am Sunday Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an opinion, people on here saying he may debut by the end of this year, my opinion is he's a mile off, sorry if it goes against the common opinion

One is hope, another is expectation.

Nobody expects him to do much this season given the hammy awareness troubles he's had. Some are literally crossing their fingers that he doesn't break down in the next training session.

Obviously, everyone hopes/fantasises he smashes it in the VFL, gets picked in round 23, and plays in finals as saints cruise towards the 2016 premiership.

But, 2 separate things.

2cUIW9c.png

NMaflig.png

Think what the game showed us Melbourne are going to have the best midfield in the comp in a year or 2. They have a reasonably balanced list which we need to get to.

Having said that put Minchington, Curren, Sinclair, McKenzie, TDL & that stocky FP forgot his name back in the Sandi side they will look a lot more balanced and competitive.

Think what the game showed us Melbourne are going to have the best midfield in the comp in a year or 2. They have a reasonably balanced list which we need to get to.

Having said that put Minchington, Curren, Sinclair, McKenzie, TDL & that stocky FP forgot his name back in the Sandi side they will look a lot more balanced and competitive.
They are going to have a decent midfield but I would think they need a bit of speed and polish. Have heaps of good inside mids.

Today suited there midfield as it was all in close and Sandy couldn't get their running game going because of the horrible conditions.

Sandy were missing a few Saints listed mids and losing the two young boys hurt too.

Tom Lee playing in a besieged defence and his kicking into the wind was very good. I'd happily see him come in for Gilbert/Wright/Sinclair. Dempster, Geary and Roberton playing well together, Lee could really help with some big talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always look forward to seeing Sandy on the TV...until I start watching and remember what a terrible spectacle VFL footy is so much of the time! Today was exhibit A.

At least I know for sure that Nathan Freeman really does exist and play footy now though. That was good to see. The rest, not so much!

I always look forward to seeing Sandy on the TV...until I start watching and remember what a terrible spectacle VFL footy is so much of the time! Today was exhibit A.

At least I know for sure that Nathan Freeman really does exist and play footy now though. That was good to see. The rest, not so much!

Oh come off it! VFL is great to watch, much less whistle happy for duckers. And that ground is always s**t.

Oh come off it! VFL is great to watch, much less whistle happy for duckers. And that ground is always s**t.
Yeah i blame that ground.
Admittedly Ive only been there once. It was waaaay back when we were affiliated with Casey and it was Aaron Hamills last ever game. He was coming back from that dodgey knee. He kicked 4 goals and i remember saying to my brother " Geez Hammer looked good today, he'll be back next week".
Apparently his knee blew up after the game and he never played again :( Just goes to show why im not a Doctor.
Any way back to that ground. Im sure it has been developed a shitload since back then BUT.........
What a windswept, open expanse of a totally souless paddock of land it was. It was just a whole lot of nothing.
Cant see too many Dee supporters cutting their Snow trips short to drive their Range Rovers all the way out there to say " Jolly good kick there errrrr uhmmm player number 3".
Give me the Trevor Barker Beach oval every day of the week:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Casey had a very strong side in with lots of Melbourne's good kids like Bugg and Oliver. The conditions made it pretty scrappy too. I didn't watch it all but thought Lee, Lonie and Shenton went well, eli looks bored playing VFL and Le Grice did a couple of nice things, thought Answerth again went quite well. Over all wasn't a great game from anyone. The day was summed up with bailey Rice knocking himself out of Lee's knee.

I recorded it to watch it later. Didn't bother. Just deleted it

I recorded it to watch it later. Didn't bother. Just deleted it
I recorded a bit over a quarter of it and found it challenging to even get through that much! The wind just made it an ugly scrap. About the only highlights were some of the kick-ins from Lee and White with the wind at their backs. One of Lee's would have landed in the centre circle if it had been allowed to land!

Think Sandy got smashed by something like 50 contested possessions for the game, which is freaking enormous.

I would consider only Oliver and Weiderman as a talented young Melbourne players that played yesterday.

What Melbourne/Casey did have is a heap of very good VFL standard players on the park.

Pederson, Grimes, Michie, Bugg, Trengove, Terlich, Kennedy, etc

All have shown (for various reasons) that they're not up to AFL standard. Kennedy is the best of that bunch & he's pretty average.

I recorded a bit over a quarter of it and found it challenging to even get through that much! The wind just made it an ugly scrap. About the only highlights were some of the kick-ins from Lee and White with the wind at their backs. One of Lee's would have landed in the centre circle if it had been allowed to land!

Think Sandy got smashed by something like 50 contested possessions for the game, which is freaking enormous.

They had an AFL quality midfield in and it showed compared to us. Garland, Terlich, Trengove, Bugg, Kennedy, Oliver, Newton, Grimes etc are all probably in their best 22 at AFL level and Pederson had a killer game. Was an ugly day though.

That game shows nothing of the sort.

Comparing players with the most AFL fantasy points.
Pederson, 29YO 59 AFL Games Templeton, 20YO, 14 AFL Games.
Michie 24YO 21 AFL Games O'Kearny 19YO, Yet to debut.
Grimes 27YO, 100AFL Games Pierce 21YO , 1 AFL Game
Bugg 23YO , 79AFL Games
Kennedy 22YO , 40AFL Games
Trengove 24YO , 84 AFL Games
Garland 28YO , 141 Games
Oliver , Newton , Dunn

Of that lot ,Oliver is an exciting prospect.
Trengove needs to play more like an early draft pick.
Kennedy, Michie, Newton are about as exciting as Templeton and Minchington ( but older ).

I'm just happy that our relatively few early draft picks are playing AFL footy, instead of playing against some late picks and rookies at Cranbourne.

What if I said what? 8 of their best-22 playing in the magoos? o_O

I was wondering how they had so much depth that they could put in such a strong VFL side when I watched it. A few like trengove are obviously there for a reason and Oliver etc are resting back so I assume guys like Viv Michie are in the VFL as they try to play kids. They are getting some serious depth up. That's the area they are ahead of us on.

I was wondering how they had so much depth that they could put in such a strong VFL side when I watched it. A few like trengove are obviously there for a reason and Oliver etc are resting back so I assume guys like Viv Michie are in the VFL as they try to play kids. They are getting some serious depth up. That's the area they are ahead of us on.
Most of those 8 you mentioned are very ordinary and in the VFL for that reason. I suspect they just have a few less or less important injuries than us at the moment. We'd have looked a whole lot better if we had Paddy and Hugh as the bookends and Minch and Curren in the guts for instance.

I also don't get why we wouldn't have played Lee forward, when we had Delaney, Simpkin, Coughlan and Le Grice in the backline and of course it doesn't generally make it easier to win when we play all of Longer, Pierce and Holmes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back