Athletics faces new doping crisis after ‘biggest leak’ of test results

Remove this Banner Ad

brogan_96

Rookie
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok so in the last 5 years there's been the revelations on essendon doping, the entire tour de france doping, and the entire russian team doping. How long do we continue brush this issue under the rug, everyone has been, and still is doping! Stop painting this picture that anything otherwise is the case!

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Errr...I dont think anyone with half a clue is painting that pic.
most people know that there would be more doping than not doping.

only the stupid get caught

You mean, some athletes might actually not be doping?

Jokes aside, I think that people who generally don't closely follow sports get a shock when they see evidence of the corruption that exists within the sporting world. PEDs are only part of the story of course. There are many other ways to cheat.

Tbh, it is amazing that any sport at all these days exists where the outcomes are purely the result of the prowess of the players.

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
So the IOC really did set up a hospital pass to the lower sports federations, as the mandate does now mean investigation into named athletes - so there is a risk that those Russian athletes now cleared, could still be banned later IF McLaren and his team have sufficient evidence.

Although that just keeps up the pattern of modern Olympics, where medals are swapped around up to 8-10 years later, as retained samples are tested and found to be positive. :rolleyes:

Still restricted to just the Rissians though.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/n...aren-independent-person-mclaren-investigation

"
Statement by Richard H. McLaren, Independent Person, McLaren Investigation

Preamble: In order to clarify matters for International Federations and others, Professor Richard H. McLaren asked WADA to post the following statement to our website on his behalf.

------

London, Ontario, July 29, 2016 – Richard H. McLaren presented the results of his investigation with respect to the allegations of manipulation of doping samples to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on July 18, 2016. Today, he issued the following statement to clarify the mandate of the Independent Person investigation and detail the next steps of the McLaren Investigation:

“As WADA announced, on July 24, my mandate as Independent Person (IP) has been extended so that my team and I can fulfill the third element of our mandate, namely ‘to identify any further athletes that might have benefited from such manipulation to conceal positive doping tests’.

Our investigation is ongoing, and over the coming weeks we will be developing our work plan and critical path.

In the interim and in light of the July 24 response of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to my report, my office has been inundated with requests for information on individual athletes. With this in mind, I believe it is important for me to be clear on how information was obtained and how it is being used.

On July 24, the IOC Executive Board published its decision stating that it was “… guided by a fundamental rule of the Olympic Charter to protect clean athletes and the integrity of sport”. In so doing it instructed the “IFs (International Federations) to examine the information contained in the IP Report, and for such purpose seek from WADA the names of athletes and National Federations (NFs) implicated. Nobody implicated, may be accepted for entry or accreditation for the Olympic Games.”

This decision has resulted in a deluge of requests to provide information to the IFs; Russian national federations; the Russian Olympic Committee; the Russian Paralympic Committee and individual Russian athletes.

For the avoidance of any doubt and to be very clear, the focus of my investigation to date has been to review evidence of a State dictated program which used the Moscow and Sochi laboratories to cover up doping. It has not been to establish Anti-Doping Rule Violation cases against individual athletes. I wish to emphasize that the IP is not a Results Management Authority as defined by the World Anti-Doping Code and that I did not attempt to conduct a Results Management investigation with respect to individual Russian athletes.

I have, however, reviewed a considerable amount of reliable evidence, which clearly implicates individual athletes in the State-dictated program described in the IP Report. That evidence includes documents supported by the testimony of confidential witnesses and in some cases additional forensic and analytical evidence from the examination of sample bottles and their contents.

I should also point out that as a result of the mandate extension, my ongoing investigation includes developing additional evidence concerning individual athletes. This evidence may be used in the future when the extended mandate is completed, to support an Anti-Doping Rule Violation case initiated by an IF against a particular athlete in accordance with its Results Management Authority.

At this stage, I will not release any of the specific information I currently have concerning any athletes. To do so would compromise the ongoing investigation. I have, however, provided information to WADA naming athletes whose urine samples were part of the state run cover up using Disappearing Positive Methodology or otherwise. WADA in turn has shared this information with IFs.

I trust that this statement clarifies my position and wish to express my appreciation to WADA and the international community for its confidence and its respect for the integrity of my investigation.”

Professor McLaren was appointed by WADA as the IP to head an investigative team charged with determining the facts with respect to the allegations of manipulation of doping control samples and other allegations made by Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov, the former Director of the Moscow Laboratory accredited by WADA. The investigation was launched to establish what is in the best interest of clean sport and clean athletes.
"

_90520904_olympics_russia_bans_inf624.v2.png

Weightlifting gone

Guess the next
I'm going with triathlon :)

_90520904_olympics_russia_bans_inf624.v2.png

Weightlifting gone

Guess the next
I'm going with triathlon :)

Does this mean the only Russians in Rio will be

Martial Arts Experts riding on horses armed with rifles and bows and arrows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
I heard a radio report last evening that said the IOC was putting in place a 3 member committee to review and ratify the various federation decisions on Russian athletes.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36934760
It will be interesting to see if the committee rejects any of the various Fedwrations' decisions.

I believe t hat CAS also has an adhoc division now set-up, in Rio.

I think it will also be used for appeals - so any athletes turned away upon arrival woulD appeal directly to CAS, whilst still in Rio.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36900632

"Cas said it will hear cases and appeals throughout the Games, from 5 to 21 August, and would be able to impose temporary sanctions if warranted.

A Cas court - the Cas ad hoc division - has been in place at every Olympics since 1996 to resolve any legal disputes arising at the Games.

But this is the first time a specific anti-doping court has been set up to run alongside it and take the lead on doping violations throughout the event.
"

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Clarification from WADA around timing of the Pound and McLaren investigations. Not perfect, not pro-active, but accountable and with some justification.

Or excuses, if you are that way inclined!;)

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/n...mclaren-investigation-report-and-states-facts

" WADA Statement clarifies timing of McLaren Investigation Report and states facts related to investigations into Russian matters

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has taken note of the views expressed by some concerning the timing of publication of the Agency’s independent McLaren Investigation Report, which was published by Professor Richard H. McLaren on 18 July, exposing Russian State manipulation of the doping control process; and, the Agency’s subsequent recommendations -- both that led to the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) decision of 24 July.

WADA understands that the timing of the McLaren Investigation Report has been destabilizing for a number of organizations as they prepare for the Rio Olympic and Paralympic Games. However, WADA wishes to factually clarify that the Agency acted immediately on allegations concerning Russia when it had corroborated evidence and the power to do so under the World Anti-Doping Code (Code).

When German-based ARD released their first documentary in December 2014 that contained corroborated evidence, WADA quickly initiated its Independent Commission. The Commission, which was chaired by Richard W. Pound, commenced its investigation in January 2015 when WADA acquired its new powers of investigation under the 2015 Code.

“While our Independent Commission’s Report suggested that doping in Russia was likely not restricted to athletics, and that the Russian secret services (FSB) were present within the Sochi and Moscow laboratories, the Commission did not uncover concrete evidence to the effect that the Russian state was manipulating the doping control process,” said Richard W. Pound. “The Pound Commission leveraged all information that the whistleblowers had provided; and yet, there was no concrete evidence to support State manipulation.”

On 9 November 2015, the Pound Commission reported and exposed wide-spread doping in Russian athletics; and, on 10 November 2015, WADA took quick and decisive action on the Commission’s recommendations.

“It was only when CBS 60 Minutes and the New York Times, on 8 and 12 May 2016 respectively, published the allegations from the former director of the Moscow and Sochi laboratories, Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov, that WADA had concrete evidence suggesting Russian state involvement that could be investigated by initiating the McLaren Investigation, which we did immediately,” said Craig Reedie, WADA President. “This decision was endorsed by WADA’s Executive Committee and WADA’s Athlete Committee,” he continued. “It must be understood that Dr. Rodchenkov was heard several times by the Pound Commission in 2015; and that, he never provided the information that he later revealed to the New York Times in May 2016. This information was subsequently corroborated by the McLaren Investigation, which also unveiled a wider implication of the Moscow laboratory.”

“WADA’s Executive Committee – composed in equal parts by representatives of the Olympic Movement and Governments of the world – supported Professor McLaren’s independent mandate, which was to obtain evidence as quickly as possible in the interest of clean athletes,” said Reedie. “While it is destabilizing in the lead up to the Games, it is obvious, given the seriousness of the revelations that he uncovered, that they had to be published and acted upon without delay.”

“Further to the International Olympic Committee’s criteria being outlined on 24 July, WADA has facilitated the transfer of relevant information that is available to date, concerning individual athletes, from the McLaren Investigation team to International Federations,” said Olivier Niggli, Director General, WADA. “It should be noted however that Professor McLaren’s focus thus far was on establishing involvement of the Russian State and not regarding individual athletes that may have benefitted,” Niggli continued. “WADA will continue supporting anti-doping organizations by providing information as and when it becomes available via McLaren’s ongoing Investigation.”

As it relates to WADA’s process of accreditation and proficiency testing of anti-doping laboratories, it focuses on the technical abilities of laboratories. In the case of the Moscow laboratory, WADA suspended the laboratory in 2015 as soon as breaches were identified via the Pound Commission. Addressing corruption within the anti-doping system – including state or secret service interference in laboratory operations – will be one of the topics discussed during the first in a series of multi-stakeholder Think Tanks that WADA will hold in September 2016.
"

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
This banning of athletes is a farce. What credible organisation starts these proceedings two weeks before the Olymic Games. Madness.
Aye, madness it is.

Still, do nothing and we have an ongoing repeat of stripping and re-awarding of another Olympic's medals.

Which organisation(s) are you blaming here though - which one is not credible?

IOC are blaming WADA, are you?

What I see is an organisation that is doing an "AFL", running a brand protection campaign at the time of it's "finals", protecting it's golden egg over it's athletes - easier to blame the tool it sets up and underfunds, rather than to accept responsibility and protect it's athletes.

But then again, I'm just an old, anti-doping foamer. ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...orld-anti-doping-system/7684220?section=sport

" Bach said on Wednesday (AEST) the uncovering of Russia's widespread doping had shown up deficiencies in the system run by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

"Recent developments have shown that we need a full review of the WADA anti-doping system," Bach told an International Olympic Committee (IOC) session, three days before the Rio Games open on Friday (local time).

"The IOC is calling for a more robust and efficient anti-doping system," he added. "This requires clear responsibilities, more transparency, more independence and better worldwide harmonisation."

Bach's condemnation of WADA escalates a feud between the Olympics and anti-doping bodies which has broken out in the final days before the Rio Games."

... and a passage for the anti-doping cheer squad <waves WADA flag> ...

" But former WADA chief Dick Pound said the IOC was "trying to deflect attention away from the reality" of the troublesome Russian situation.

"All told it was pretty predictable," said the Canadian. "If you go through the list of speakers, you would not be surprised at what anybody said." "

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
A current Indian anti-doping ruling - "one time ingestion" acceptance and that it wouldn't "be of benefit".

Another one for ad-hoc CAS panel in Rio, I wonder?

http://sportsgranny.com/narsingh-yadav-doping-story-short/

" “We kept in mind that in the past, till June 2, none of his samples were positive. It was inconceivable that one-time ingestion would be of benefit. Therefore the panel is of the view that the one-time ingestion was not intentional,” Navin Aggarwal said while reading out the decision.

They felt that this was a clear case of sabotage and single time ingestion could not have a significant impact upon his performances. They felt that no fault was attributable to the athlete for the anti – doping rules violation quotedShivam Singh, Advocate Supreme Court (Sports Lawyer).

The panel concluded that the athlete deserves the benefit of article 10.4 of the NADA’s anti-doping code; which states –

Article 10.4 Elimination or Reduction of the Period of Ineligibility for Specified Substances under Specific Circumstances

Where an Athlete or other Person can establish how a Specified Substance entered his or her body or came into his or her possession and that such Specified Substance was not intended to enhance the Athlete’s sport performance or mask the use of a performance enhancing substance, the period of Ineligibility found in Article 10.2 shall be replaced with the following: First violation: At a minimum, a reprimand and no period of Ineligibility from future Events, and at a maximum, two (2) years’ Ineligibility. To justify any elimination or reduction, the Athlete or other Person must produce corroborating evidence in addition to his or her word which establishes to the comfortable satisfaction of the hearing panel the absence of an intent to enhance sport performance or mask the use of a performance enhancing substance. The Athlete or other Person’s degree of fault shall be the criteria considered in assessing any reduction of the period of Ineligibility
"

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Seems the IPC is currently showing the IOC how it should be done ....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/06/russian-athletes-banned-paralympic-games-rio

"....

The IPC is likely to have come under extreme pressure to follow the IOC’s lead but is believed to be resolved to make its own decision based on the evidence. Unlike the IOC, the IPC has been in touch with McLaren to seek further evidence and information. As well as the 35 “disappearing positive” Russian drug tests across Paralympic sport between 2012 and 2015, the report confirmed the 2014 WinterParalympics in Sochi, where Russia won three times as many medals as any other country, was compromised by swapped samples.

McLaren said this past week: “They have consulted with me very closely. We have done forensic work with them, we’re in the process of doing analytical work. They were in contact with me within hours of my report being published.

The IPC president, Sir Philip Craven, is believed to view the decision as the most important and one of the most difficult his movement has ever faced. He said last month: “McLaren’s findings are of serious concern for everyone committed to clean and honest sport. The additional information we have been provided with by Richard McLaren includes the names of the Para athletes associated with the 35 ‘disappearing positive samples’ from the Moscow laboratory highlighted in the report.

“We are also urgently following up on McLaren’s recommendation for 19 samples from the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games to be sent for further analysis, having been identified as part of the sample-swapping regime in place during the Games.”

The IPC released a statement saying they were yet to announce their decision and would do so at midday Rio time (4pm BST) on Sunday.
"

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Nearly forgot this one ....

"An Irishman (boxer) walks into a bar, orders a drink with a PED chaser ..." and is now waiting on a B" sample.

http://www.evolutionary.org/irish-boxer-suspended-after-drugs-test/

" The Olympic team of Ireland has to deal with a major crisis when it was announced one of its boxing stars tested positive for a performance enhancing drug.

The 23-year-old Michael O'Reilly was suspended dramatically after a banned substance was allegedly found in his system during test results. The news of Reilly's suspension is specifically embarrassing for Sports Minister Shane Ross, who recently released a press statement in which the minister said that he hopes Irish athletes will perform in a "doping-free environment". It is believed that the boxing star - who was due to compete in the middleweight event - was tested prior to his departure for the Rio Olympics.

The anti-doping test was carried out by an official working for Dr Una May, who is head of anti-doping at the Irish Sports Council. Dr May contacted John Treacy, chief executive of the Irish Sports Council, and communicated to him that O'Reilly had tested positive for a performance enhancing drug after which the Irish Sports Council chief executive called the chairman of Sport Ireland, Kieran Mulvey, who sources say was "taken aback" by the news of the test result of O'Reilly.

Michael O'Reilly, who fights out of Portlaoise Boxing Club, is likely to appeal and have the 'B' sample tested."

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
Not only is it the Olympics of sport, but we also seem to be in a golden age of doping of Olympic proportions.

Plenty of headlines dropping almost daily.

A swimmer drops dead drives more state-run doping claims;
athletes being booed and then other athletes calling each other out;
claims of further bribery for doping test info for sale;
athletes still testing positive in leadup to Games,
One Olympic sports governing body takes action whilst another evades responsibilities whilst WADA
And the various country anti-doping bodies and governments cheer their preference from the sidelines

... one just can't keep up!!

Just waiting for Dank to engineer another expose or drama, to get himswlf back in the media!

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
It does seem that drug cheats feel cheated by getting caught:

... complained about how her preparation had been disrupted by her initial suspension from competition.

Yulia Efimova, why is she even allowed to be there?
Those pesky officials. Where have we heard that before?

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
I think it is very nearly, popcorn time!

http://www.evolutionary.org/count-of-brazilian-olympic-teams-drug-test-samples-questioned/

"The World Anti-Doping Agency has learned that there may actually be not enough samples to test the Brazilian Olympic contingent - the second largest at the games. According to reports, the Olympic team of Brazil gave about a third as many samples as normally expected in the crucial month before the Summer Olympics started.

Brazil has already been sanctioned by WADA over concerns its testing of its own athletes ahead of the Games was delayed, and perhaps compromised. Now, WADA officials are reviewing as to why Brazilian athletes gave a significantly reduced number of samples in the first three weeks of July. WADA said the gap in samples collected by the anti-doping agency was unacceptable practice particularly at such a crucial time before the Olympic Games. The World Anti-Doping Agency added these numbers are not in line with an effective program and it may have left a "big gap."

It is no surprise that Luis Horta, the former head of Portugal's anti-doping agency who was given a role as an adviser to Brazil, alleged recently he faced immense pressure from the country's sports ministry and Olympic committee to reduce testing.

A spokesman for WADA, Ben Nichols, said we wrote to the ministry pressing our concerns and demanding to know why testing had stopped. The WADA spokesman added their response was not satisfactory and the situation was unacceptable. It was confirmed by Nichols that 110 samples had been collected for testing in the July 1-24 period.

WADA deputy director Rob Koehler said a letter was sent by the World Anti-Doping Agency to the minister of sport and the executive director of the Brazilian national anti-doping agency and concerns about why testing had been stopped in Brazil were raised. Koehler added the explanation that it had come about due to the changing of the guard in the ministry and the agency was not acceptable to us.

The Brazilian Ministry of Sport remarked the allegation is absurd and makes no sense. The sport ministry further commented that the Brazilian National Anti-Doping Organization, NADO, under the Ministry of Sport, follows international codes to the letter and is committed to consolidating anti-doping policy in Brazil. The country's sports ministry refuted allegations it was a political decision to ensure the Games were not plunged further into crisis.

Responding to Brazilian Ministry of Sport claims, WADA said the anti-doping authority of Brazil should have -- as part of established practices in sport -- sent all Brazil's samples to another laboratory during the period in which the main laboratory in Brazil was suspended.

In response to WADA claims, a spokesman for the Brazilian Ministry of Sport, Paulo Rossi, remarked the Brazilian team of 477 athletes gave a total of 110 samples in the first 24 days of July. The spokesman described the average amount they would be expected to give in that period as he thinks about 300 or possibly less. The Brazilian Ministry of Sport spokesman also said the anti-doping agency of Brazil was finding it hard to process samples as its laboratory was suspended by WADA. In a statement, the Brazilian Ministry of Sport said 2,227 tests had been done in Brazil between January 1 and June 22, when the laboratory was suspended."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back