Game Day Round 20: Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants: Saturday @ Metricon 4:35

Remove this Banner Ad

The task of beating GWS is huge but what the heck! So I thought I would make some points the GCS need to address to have an outside chance!

• Crucial that the forward line do not allow Shaw & Company the luxury of running riot and setting up play. The GCS have to have a mindset to lay as many tackles as possible and lock the ball in.
  • Tom Nicholls needs to make Mumford accountable and provide a contest.
  • On ball and midfield players cannot allow Shiels, Scully and Company easy ball and free space to deliver into the forward players.
  • The match ups have to realistic (unlike Martin on Watts) as the GWS will have Cameron, Patton and Lobb (Stewart as back-up).
  • The GCS have potentially the most potent big forwards in the competition in Lynch, Wright and Day. Utilise them and get the ball in quickly (do not allow 3rd player up) which could stretch their backs. (Don't forget this happened at periods against the Hawks)
  • Good decision making and the ability to hit targets by hand and foot are crucial. (Turning the ball over as was done against Melbourne will be a disaster).
  • Time to take the game on and actually go with the first thought. No longer acceptable to "burn" players who present (look left, right and down field only for the first best option to be covered). A good team plan should mean some players run just to take their opposition player out of the mix.
  • Use the corridor at every opportunity which will require lowering the eyes on occasions. Do not overuse when around the CHF area.
  • Forwards need to actually make the most of their options and kick straight!
Possible inclusions/exclusions are:
  • Clay Cameron as a forward who has a bigger body (kicked 5 goals on weekend and would be hungry as he is playing for his future) and could put body pressure on their back line players.
  • Brayden Fiorini has the ability to give outside run and score board pressure which would catch the GWS by surprise.
  • Mitch Hallahan into the side to replace Jesse Lonergan. I do not think you can play both at the same time due to their lack of leg speed especially against GWS!
  • Henry Schade into side to take one of their tall forwards (Lobb or Stewart) and get him run and use his kicking skills.
  • I do not think having Joyce, Schonfeld, Ah Cee and Grant is feasible due to form and overall experience. One or more to be dropped.
I know not everyone will agree with my thoughts but it might create some interesting posts by GCS BF people.

• Possible smoky inclusions are Saad (only played 1st game back in reserves but has explosive pace) & Seb Tape (may lack polish and pace but he might be an interesting match-up on Shaw)

The task of beating GWS is huge but what the heck! So I thought I would make some points the GCS need to address to have an outside chance!

Possible inclusions/exclusions are:
  • Clay Cameron as a forward who has a bigger body (kicked 5 goals on weekend and would be hungry as he is playing for his future) and could put body pressure on their back line players.
  • Brayden Fiorini has the ability to give outside run and score board pressure which would catch the GWS by surprise.
  • Mitch Hallahan into the side to replace Jesse Lonergan. I do not think you can play both at the same time due to their lack of leg speed especially against GWS!
  • Henry Schade into side to take one of their tall forwards (Lobb or Stewart) and get him run and use his kicking skills.
  • I do not think having Joyce, Schonfeld, Ah Cee and Grant is feasible due to form and overall experience. One or more to be dropped.

I'd love to see Clay get another chance. Really think he's got something. I have a friend who knows him and says he really hasn't lived up to his potential yet. Would love to see Fiorini as well, but not sure he is ready, might need one more NEAFL game. Same goes for Saad.

Love your points on how to win the game. I'd add one more. GWS love running through the corridor in waves. We need to man up in the corridor, create some midfield pressure, and force them wide.

In a perfect world, since we need midfielders, Fiorini should play.

But a 1st year player coming off a long injury spell, with the Bombers in Melbourne next week? And the kid is from Melbourne? Happy for the club to be patient and give him another full game in the Neafl to build fitness, then play him next week.

Which means, in the imperfect Suns world, going up against arguably the best running team in the comp, we will bring in Hallahan and Tape.

In a perfect world, since we need midfielders, Fiorini should play.

But a 1st year player coming off a long injury spell, with the Bombers in Melbourne next week? And the kid is from Melbourne? Happy for the club to be patient and give him another full game in the Neafl to build fitness, then play him next week.

Which means, in the imperfect Suns world, going up against arguably the best running team in the comp, we will bring in Hallahan and Tape.

Would be a good learning curve Fiorini up against Tom Scully

Gday suns people.
Does anyone know what time the busses start running from pac fair?
Going on Saturday and would like to watch some of the ressies game as well.

This could easily be a 100 point loss, they are a super team and without our best on the field we can't compete for 4 quarters.

Anything under a 50 point loss would be a very good result
I refuse to believe this Iva. We get beat by this much on our home deck and I will be livid. We didn't have May or Thompson last time, Saad did his hammy at half time. Cameron and Lobb kicked 10 between them, that's definitely not happening this time around, I can't see May getting 7 kicked on him and Lobb may not even be playing.
Our make shift midfield has impressed me, Miller and Sexton compete and get a their fair share of the football. Since that last game against GWS in round 8, Eade seems to have changed the game plan and brought in a lot more runners. We need to be able run to keep up with this group and we are better equipped to do so this time around. I'm not sure what we do about Heath Shaw because he killed us last time around but I'm sure Eade will have a plan. Get Saad and Fiorini in there. Saad is elite, he only needs one neafl game to get up and about. Why save Fiorini for Essendon, I want to know how he will play against GWS, he is never going to have his hand up for a game higher than it is now after that performance last week in the two's.
If we can get our fair share of inside 50's then they will have to look after our triple headed monster. This is something we weren't able to do last time around but I'm confident we will be a lot better on our home deck and taking into account our recent form.
I expect a contest, and a close game. I will be looking to see if Schoenfeld can keep up his hard running into space, if Martin can go back and play that loose man in defence and rebound. Can Wright and Lynch give the GWS back man some real problems. Will May and Thompson win their match ups and most importantly can Miller, Sexton and co fight a draw in the middle of the ground.
Two biggest problems, Nicholls against the big Mummy and how we contain Heath Shaw.

Article on the GCS website.

The Gold Coast SUNS match committee have some talent pushing up through the twos, with a number of players putting their hand up for selection in the NEAFL team’s 113-point win over Redland.

Clay Cameron played one of his best games in the red and gold, booting 5.4 as a target inside 50, but is there a position for him in Rodney Eade’s side given the abundance of tall timber up forward for the SUNS?

In the midfield, Mitch Hallahan had 32 disposals and nine inside 50s while 2015 No. 20 draft pick Brayden Fiorinicould be a chance to make an AFL debut after collecting 31 touches and four goals.

Fiorini may need another week in the reserves given he’s returning from a long-term knee injury, but his form is certainly encouraging and a first start at the top level would be a glimpse into the future for SUNS fans.

Meanwhile, Henry Schade had a solid game across half back, Sean Lemmens got another run under his belt while the electrifying Adam Saad also returned from injury.

Logically Trent McKenzie would have played this week but the poor bloke misses due to a season ending injury.

Clay Cameron must be a very strong chance and I think he deserves an opportunity up forward and has a strong body which can add that defensive pressure.

Mitch Hallahan had a good game and could be a direct replacement for Jesse Lonergan (possibly injured). I question whether both could play against GWS due to their lack of leg speed.

Henry Schade is a logical pick with the GWS having 3 tall forwards. The match up last week on Jack Watts (3 goals) effectively cost the GCS a win so I think this needs to addressed.

Lemmens is a good chance for selection after several weeks in the reserves.

Saad and Fiorini are all in the loop but are only 1 game back after extensive lay-offs due to major injures so there may be some concern about picking them at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Hallahan is a lock this week , if he isn't he should'nt be on our list , would love to see Fiorini but has only played 1 full game , might be a fair step up to make your debut against GWS mids. Lemmens will come in for Mal .

You would think Hallahan is a lock this week , if he isn't he should'nt be on our list , would love to see Fiorini but has only played 1 full game , might be a fair step up to make your debut against GWS mids. Lemmens will come in for Mal .

Is a strong possibility you are on the money Donble.

There is 1 automatic injury with Malceski out injured.

I suppose selection might reflect the mindset of the selection committe and whether they pick a team to contain the "damage" or whether they go out with a "winning" attitude.

Definitely dont want to sure Fiorini back in. Done it too many times in the past i think which has resulted in the young bodies breaking down again. Same with Saad.

Gday suns people.
Does anyone know what time the busses start running from pac fair?
Going on Saturday and would like to watch some of the ressies game as well.
http://www.metriconstadium.com.au/events/gc-suns-vs-gws-giants-round-20/

busses start leaving from broadbeach south station at 2.35pm.

another flaw of the current transport system. there's no way to make it to the ground to watch from the start of the reserves, unless you have a valid parking permit or want to spend money on a taxi. another alternative is parking at emerald lakes golf course for $20, but even then that seems like a bit of a rip off.

http://www.metriconstadium.com.au/events/gc-suns-vs-gws-giants-round-20/

busses start leaving from broadbeach south station at 2.35pm.

another flaw of the current transport system. there's no way to make it to the ground to watch from the start of the reserves, unless you have a valid parking permit or want to spend money on a taxi. another alternative is parking at emerald lakes golf course for $20, but even then that seems like a bit of a rip off.
Emerald Lakes not a rip off if you go in and have a feed there - great food - ensures you go across to the matches on a full stomach - you'll just need to top up on liquids during the games though ...

Thanks for that Exile. Yeah, they don't make it easy for the footy fanatic who wants to see the neafl game thats for sure.

Just park further up at the church. Normally $10 but if you get there a couple of hours before the game there is none collecting money. Or the Islam school so you can catch there little bus in instead of the 10 min walk

Rocket said in his press conference this morning Malceski and Lonergan are out

Saad and Hallahan in then. We also need to get Fiorini in as well..
Is Hall or Swallow playing in the twos this week does anyone know?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back