Assistant Coaches 2017 - Lade returns!

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
There may be a thread about Assistant Coaches in 2017 but some of the latest news is specific and mixed imo.

According to Rucci writing in this morning's Monopoly Times all assistants except Budda Hocking have been assured they will be at Alberton next year. Given the widespread dissatisfaction expressed about the likes of Voss and Hart this is sobering news to say the least. I have never thought Budda Hocking was anything exceptional but I am not enamoured with Voss or Hart either.

Apparently the AFL requires that all assistants are given an indication of their status for the following year by July 31 and all but Hocking have been told they will be retained. :(

The one ray of good news is that if Hocking goes it may open the door for Brendan Lade to return to Alberton. That bit is conjecture on Rucci's part but it may happen.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
..... The one ray of good news is that if Hocking goes it may open the door for Brendan Lade to return to Alberton. ......
Reading the article re-Richmond's assistants on the AFL website it looks as if Lade isn't one of the two told he won't be there next season but hasn't committed to staying either.

Tigers begin making coaching changes for 2017

"It is understood the club is keen to retain long-term assistant Brendon Lade, but the midfield stoppages coach is not certain to stay at Punt Road Oval. "

I thought Aaron Greaves was our ruck coach but according to the club website he is Development Manager.

Capture.JPG

Reading the article re-Richmond's assistants on the AFL website it looks as if Lade isn't one of the two told he won't be there next season but hasn't committed to staying either.

Tigers begin making coaching changes for 2017

"It is understood the club is keen to retain long-term assistant Brendon Lade, but the midfield stoppages coach is not certain to stay at Punt Road Oval. "

I thought Aaron Greaves was our ruck coach but according to the club website he is Development Manager.

View attachment 273266
He's a quasi ruck coach.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
How unlucky is Hocking? Did a great job for the Maggies, better than Cornes. Then gets upgraded and after 1 season he's out the door?

I have to disagree, I do not think Hocking did that well at the Magpies or when he took over from Primus. In the end I think they were searching for something for Hocking to do as he was never a senior coach. I am not sure that Hocking was upgraded, he was moved sideways into a role similar to that he held under Primus. If Hocking was that good I would have expected him to assume the Midfield Manager's role but that was not the case.

Too early to judge Chad yet, he has had to cope with a depleted list. After we lost Ryder and Monfries without replacement he was two AFL players short in January, then when we suffered long term injuries to White, Carlile, Schultz, Hombsch, Howard and Jonas he was even further down on his playing list. Put three or four extra AFL listed players in the SANFL side and we would probably be in the five. I am not saying Chad is the answer but he needs to be cut some slack for this year. I think Cornes has done a reasonable job considering the way our list has been hit.

But Cornes and Hocking are not the real issue here, the real issue lies in the reappointment of people who most us believe have not had the answers in 2016.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As I said in another thread Andrew Rondinelli sings Hocking's praises. Says he has one of the best footy minds and an AFL senior gig should not be far off. Now that's from someone who has been on the inside. I hope this club make the right decision regarding our midfield coach and Gary. If there is one thing we don't want to lose, it's footy brains and our Magpies did ok under him in 14 and 15 with all the new restrictions foisted on them.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
I'd love Lade back at the club but I wouldn't like to see Hocking go. He may think it's time to move on himself rather than it being a club decision.

Jun 21, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Besides being a Premiership player at Port Adelaide, why do people on here want Lade? Richmond aren't anything to be envious of and I really think getting Lade will be a waste of time and money

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As I said in another thread Andrew Rondinelli sings Hocking's praises. Says he has one of the best footy minds and an AFL senior gig should not be far off. Now that's from someone who has been on the inside. I hope this club make the right decision regarding our midfield coach and Gary. If there is one thing we don't want to lose, it's footy brains and our Magpies did ok under him in 14 and 15 with all the new restrictions foisted on them.

Yes, but it's also from a guy who was moved along/"had an offer to good to refuse"

Lade joined Richmond in 2010:

2009 15th
2010 15th
2011 12th
2012 12th
2013 5th
2014 8th
2015 5th
2016 will miss finals (currently 13th)

Dew joined Sydney in 2010:

2009 12th
2010 5th
2011 6th
2012 1st
2013 4th
2014 2nd
2015 6th
2016 Likely top 4 (currently 3rd)

It's impossible to know how much influence each individual had on their team's performance but clearly one was part of a more successful club during their coaching career. Who knows?

If we go into next year with one coaching change and it's Hocking, i'll be ******* livid with this club and the administration to the point I will strongly feel the crown of our admin is slipping because of their inept ability to address on field matters. We can't run this club solely on off-field results, that is not what we should be about.

Sheeds

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton
What exactly are Lade's coaching credentials?

He has been a long term assistant coach at a club that during his time has a less than 50% winning record, not a won a finals match and currently sitting 13th on the table with what their senior coach describes as the best list at his disposal in his time at Richmond.

Hardwick rightfully cops the blowtorch but certainly has to be some question marks on Lade. If he did not have a Port Adelaide connection would people look at the output at Richmond and think we really need to get this guy?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd have Lade as our ruck coach or forward coach, but given the environment he's coming from he'd have to blow minds at any interviews to get a role more senior than that at Port if I had anything to do with it. There's certainly been nothing to indicate he's the strategist / tactician we've so sorely missed in the box the last couple of years.

Exactly. How are people going to attribute any massive improvement next year when we get our players back to someone other than Hinkley if we don't get said strategist/tactician?

I mean, it's not like he didn't keep Butcher in the team this week when he showed a commitment to defence like I've been saying all along or anything...

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Except Dew coaches in a winning culture.
El Zorro posted above how their clubs have fared in their time as assistants and I agree with his "who knows" assessment.

Coaching in a winning culture should certainly be a positive but is it really a "winning culture" or is it a combination of the playing list, the other coaches and game plan that has resulted in a period of success. Is Lade better credentialed because he has got the best, which may still not be great, out of lesser players playing to a poor game plan under an inferior head coach?

There are posters who claim to be able to definitely quantify the effect various assistant coaches have but I, sadly, am not one of them.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
El Zorro posted above how their clubs have fared in their time as assistants and I agree with his "who knows" assessment.

Coaching in a winning culture should certainly be a positive but is it really a "winning culture" or is it a combination of the playing list, the other coaches and game plan that has resulted in a period of success. Is Lade better credentialed because he has got the best, which may still not be great, out of lesser players playing to a poor game plan under an inferior head coach?

There are posters who claim to be able to definitely quantify the effect various assistant coaches have but I, sadly, am not one of them.
You just have to look at Bevo and Bolton though. I would say they have benefited from a winning culture.

Back