Rumour Gary Ayres to coach the Brisbane Lions in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hearing Brett Ratten

What is he saying to you? I hear dead people.

Poor u flog have respect!!

Probably that Ratten's son died not so long ago (last year?) so joking about him and seeing dead people wouldn't be the most tasteful thing to do - if that was your intention.

Ah, I see. Obviously too many people these days are looking for ways to be offended. It was merely a joke regarding the wording of the initial post "I'm hearing Brett Ratten" to which I responded with what I thought was a humorous rewording of the quote from "Sixth Sense". Some (most) people saw it for what it was but beachroo is one of the aforementioned people. ANyone who knows me both personally and here at BF knows that I would never joke about someone's loss. I deal with it at work every day. If only the desire to be offended didn't blind people to a sense of humour. Sheesh.

Ah, I see. Obviously too many people these days are looking for ways to be offended. It was merely a joke regarding the wording of the initial post "I'm hearing Brett Ratten" to which I responded with what I thought was a humorous rewording of the quote from "Sixth Sense". Some (most) people saw it for what it was but beachroo is one of the aforementioned people. ANyone who knows me both personally and here at BF knows that I would never joke about someone's loss. I deal with it at work every day. If only the desire to be offended didn't blind people to a sense of humour. Sheesh.
I thought it was funny and I didn't think you were trying to be offensive. Play on I reckon.

Yep, I assumed you weren't deliberately making the connection.

FWIW - Was on the same plane back from Launceston after Carlton/Hawthorn as the FOX Footy Crew and the 2 sides.

Ben Dixon was absolutely trashed before we'd even got off the tarmac and was getting stuck into his old teammate, John Barker about it being the worst kept secret in football that he had the job sewn up for next year.

Strange appointment if true.

Ayres is being headhunted by the Lions to coach them in 2017, the board wants an experienced senior coach with strong development credentials. Ayres is a friend of Matthews and Swan and his work in the VFL has put him in the box seat.
He's no development coach and his record is at best so-so.

Frankly, after Matthews vouched for Leppitsch, they'd be crazy to place much store on what he says. The AFL will have the major say in what happens at Brisbane which is why Bomber Thompson who is a very good development coach won't be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Thompson
Brett Ratten
Peter Sumich
Brett Montgomery
Paul Roos
Gary Ayres

These are all coaches linked with the Brisbane job and are all as realistic as the Saints winning the flag this year.

Long time between drinks...

Everything I've heard is that he's more than content at Port Melbourne and doesn't fancy another senior AFL coaching job.

Brisbane would be better off going for Bomber Thompson IMO.
Bomber is such a unique cat. .. good coach but

Last edited:
Ayres is being headhunted by the Lions to coach them in 2017, the board wants an experienced senior coach with strong development credentials. Ayres is a friend of Matthews and Swan and his work in the VFL has put him in the box seat.
Imagine how much ass Matthews has growled out during his channel 7 time....such an overated afl person...and a dirty player. Was never silk...always dirty like Reece-Jones.
They should look at McKenna...he was shafted imo...or Sumich or Bomber.

Last edited:
Surely Stewy Dew is getting sounded out?

Not a better credentialed assistant coach going round.
Played and coached under/with some big names. Done a more than impressive apprenticeship as well as the now mandatory level 4 coaching course.

Ticks a lot of boxes for mine.

Lions should be looking at Guy McKenna. Suns would be playing finals this year had they not made that stinker of a call. I rate him.

Ayresy's hairdo won't fit into the modern day coaches boxes so not happening.

Carn Borough!

Oh you mean the same Bluey who had the entire senior group of players asking for him to be gone? The one who couldn't even implement basic training drills or standards? Or is it the one who let a party culture run rife that had to be fixed after he left?

You must not have read a single article, media interview nor taken any notice of our club to have that absolutely blind opinion. He was a cancer to our club and set us back years. Couldn't think of many worse options for Brisbane unless he's learnt from his mistakes.

Oh you mean the same Bluey who had the entire senior group of players asking for him to be gone? The one who couldn't even implement basic training drills or standards? Or is it the one who let a party culture run rife that had to be fixed after he left?

You must not have read a single article, media interview nor taken any notice of our club to have that absolutely blind opinion. He was a cancer to our club and set us back years. Couldn't think of many worse options for Brisbane unless he's learnt from his mistakes.
Yeah they've come on strong since his departure.
Maybe just hang in there with rocket.
Bluey was winning games and had them heading in the right direction. Injuries saw the season drop off and everything else was forgotten.
They'd be playing finals this year if he was still there.
Sorry if I have a blind opinion but I'm sure those Caroline Wilson articles had a big effect on you, opened your eyes....

Yeah they've come on strong since his departure.
Maybe just hang in there with rocket.
Bluey was winning games and had them heading in the right direction. Injuries saw the season drop off and everything else was forgotten.
They'd be playing finals this year if he was still there.
Sorry if I have a blind opinion but I'm sure those Caroline Wilson articles had a big effect on you, opened your eyes....

So tell me what Bluey did better precisely?

Bluey let a toxic culture run rampant, didn't train the boys properly, didn't set standards and lost the entire playing group with his favouritism. There's also an incident where he attacked Harbrow to the point he pretty much lost every player.

I think if you actually looked past your nose you'd see players such as Gary Ablett, Jaeger O'Meara have openly come out and said things weren't right when he was in charge. Jaeger, Lynch and a couple other senior players went to the board to express concern about it.

Don't worry though, don't let facts get in the way of your story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back