Toast Fletcher Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

A worthy bump, a bit deserving a week after what was his best game for the club. Would love to see him back it up again tonight, he's actually done a good job of helping Moz hold down the fort with Adams being injured. Give 'em hell, Fletch! :beercheers:

Mr. One-percenter

It’s time we talked about Fletcher Roberts.

Footy fans all claim that they love the bloke who’s hard at it, the one doing the smothering, the tackling and the spoiling. The bloke doing the one percenters. Well, guess what, there’s a stat for that, and the Bulldogs backman is leading the pack.

Since coming back into the team in round 16 against the Tigers, Roberts has been that man doing the little things down back, leading the side in the one percenters in three of the last five matches. The other two? Finished second.

People say Fletch is inexperienced in games played but that is a furphy IMO. He's been on our list for four years. He hasn't played much because he has been either injured or not very good. Guys like Talia and Hamling have been picked ahead of him. First year players like Adams have shown him up and Adams is light years ahead of Fletch.

He is too slow and not strong enough. If we pick up Hurley he should go back to the two's. Heck he may even go back to the twos when Adams gets fit.

Full credit to him for trying hard and being solid depth.

People say Fletch is inexperienced in games played but that is a furphy IMO. He's been on our list for four years. He hasn't played much because he has been either injured or not very good. Guys like Talia and Hamling have been picked ahead of him. First year players like Adams have shown him up and Adams is light years ahead of Fletch.

He is too slow and not strong enough. If we pick up Hurley he should go back to the two's. Heck he may even go back to the twos when Adams gets fit.

Full credit to him for trying hard and being solid depth.
i think his body of work has changed shape to look pretty decent overall this year. quietly built a reasonable season, now probably more good games than bad, but maybe that's affected by recency bias.

overall though, he's only really depth/ second defender material

He kept Drew Petrie goalless last week. Basically gave him a bath. Something we've failed to do most of his career

He kept Drew Petrie goalless last week. Basically gave him a bath. Something we've failed to do most of his career

Drew is cooked. But kudos to Fletch as you can only beat what's in front of you (unless they're faster than you)

For a "depth" player he sure plays ahead of a lot of people.
Delayed start to 2015 because of injury yet played 12 games including 10 in a row until going down with injury and being recalled in round 23 and playing in the Elim final. This year after again having a delayed start because of injury he's played 13 of a possible 19 games (probably less because of his delayed preseason ).

For comparison Talia played 13 games in 2015 exiting around the time Fletch started playing and being dropped as Fletch came back the second time.

Last year he and Hamling created a decent partnership playing 7 of a possible 11 games together with Hamling only playing 4 games when Fletch was out injured.
This year Adams seems to have been favoured over Hamling as he has only played 5 games with them sharing just two games in common as opposed to Adams sharing 5 with Fletch.

Whether this holds or not if we get Hurley (it probably won't ) I'm not sure but to suggest others have been picked ahead of Roberts or that he is "depth" is mistaken. The truth is that when he is fit and in form he tends to be picked more often than not and often in front of more highly rated (by supporters) teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how can you toast the chump.....seriously bad player
Back to some of his shocking best tonight unfortunately.

Did have his career best game against Drew Petrie. Thanks Drew.

But please can we find another option. Just about anything will do.

He made a few mistakes tonight and got out positioned by Moore but that was more of an issue with tactics tonight.

Back to some of his shocking best tonight unfortunately.

Did have his career best game against Drew Petrie. Thanks Drew.

But please can we find another option. Just about anything will do.
Drew is pretty well cooked, I thought it was one of the more awful performances I have seen from a key defender tonight. Funnily enough I thought Hamling was reasonable tonight. Nearly gave him 1 in the Ching and I am not a fan of him.

He made a few mistakes tonight and got out positioned by Moore but that was more of an issue with tactics tonight.
Hmmm, ok. He was annihilated by Moore when near him, and at other times he wasn't even in the same post code. whilst he gets a game for us we cannot win a premiership.

Tactically without Morris, I think we got our selections wrong. Minson should have played which would have allowed roughead to play down back on Moore and white.

Don't know why he won't play minson? Just ridiculous

Moore is a very good player, and Petrie is rubbish these days. Fletch is somewhere in between.

But he came to us as a bottom-aged stick insect - I think he has just turned 23 last month?

For all Sids good attributes he coughed up two goals Friday night by simply not being strong enough over the ball (I'm not talking being out marked in a pack or on the lead). Being out muscled by Tex I can handle but being pushed around by Moore is not good enough....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back