Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

:rolleyes:
yeah, let's not draft or trade anyone in, we have an awesome list..
Never said that. What YOU said was draft picks around our number can play next year '' pretty decent footy''.

Everybody strokes off about new players and don't take the time to see where and when they will fit into our system. Hell we have had a million arguments just on Menzel , Milera Wigg Hampton Doedee etc etc

If the kid is good enough he will replace who he replaces , but then don't try and squeeze in the above when they are playing SANFL. Its all I am pointing out

Never said that. What YOU said was draft picks around our number can play next year '' pretty decent footy''.

Everybody strokes off about new players and don't take the time to see where and when they will fit into our system. Hell we have had a million arguments just on Menzel , Milera Wigg Hampton Doedee etc etc

If the kid is good enough he will replace who he replaces , but then don't try and squeeze in the above when they are playing SANFL. Its all I am pointing out

What is your point? No player in the draft is guaranteed to play games, but Bicks is saying could have an impact I'd they did.

:rolleyes:
yeah, let's not draft or trade anyone in, we have an awesome list..

No, let's trade our pick for someone absolutely proven at the top level and ready to go, not someone physically immature and unproven.

Let's leave all that to the rebuilding sides.

We don't need any more question marks or any more "potential". We need to win now.

No, let's trade our pick for someone absolutely proven at the top level and ready to go, not someone physically immature and unproven.

Let's leave all that to the rebuilding sides.

We don't need any more question marks or any more "potential". We need to win now.
Yeah, that kind of player are soooo easy to trade for, their all just queueing up at the AFC doors...We'll be overrun with applicants!

Yeah, that kind of player are soooo easy to trade for, their all just queueing up at the AFC doors...We'll be overrun with applicants!

So - you don't think there will be players traded for first round draft picks in 2016?

Any reason why you think this will be the first year on record where players won't be available?

I'm happy for us to pick a player who could possibly contribute something down the road, once we've explored the option of trading the pick for someone who could contribute immediately. You know - the kind of thing Hawthorn does every year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a silly comment
Jade Gresham, Daniel Rioli, Josh Dunkley, Ben Keays,Darcy Tucker, Ryan Clarke, Rhys Mathieson have all played some reasonable footy in their 1st year.

The previous year Liam Duggan, Jake Lever,Touk Miller, Caleb Daniel, Cory Gregson, Brayden Maynard, Jack Lonie....

Jade Gresham, Daniel Rioli, Josh Dunkley, Ben Keays,Darcy Tucker, Rhys Mathieson have all played some reasonable footy in their 1st year.

The previous year Liam Duggan, Jake Lever,Touk Miller, Caleb Daniel, Cory Gregson, Brayden Maynard, Jack Lonie....
Not one of those players you mention rolled into a top 4 side in their first year. Maybe Duggan but he was average last year.

Jade Gresham, Daniel Rioli, Josh Dunkley, Ben Keays,Darcy Tucker, Ryan Clarke, Rhys Mathieson have all played some reasonable footy in their 1st year.

All bottom 8 & developing clubs .......or Nth Melb injury affected

Rare for a top club like us , with the depth of talent in the wings

Just got back from the Ballarat Rebels vs the Northern Knights game today.....Our No.1 Recruiter Hamish Ogilvie was there, had a quick chat to him, bugger doesn't give much away, asked him if we were were looking for another midfielder, answer as " We're just looking for good players", asked him if Thommo was going on next year as to me looks to be slowing down a bit, said he wasn't sure yet but did say he's been pretty good this year in his opinion, he did say with a smile he reckons Thommo will likely want to.

Rebels 18.11 119 defeated Knights 10.9 69
The standout players today for the Rebels were mainly the usual suspects midfielders Hugh McCluggage 4 goals, Jarrod Berry 3 goals and Willem Drew, great game from indigenous small forward Jarmaine Jones 5 goals and an absolute hard nut and tackling machine, first time I've seen Cedric Cox, exceptional kick on both feet, rarely missed a target, runs hard, great agility and pace [he's a serious talent], Lloyd Meek the Ruckman was good around the ground, good overhead and hit the scoreboard. Jarrod Berry now he's got his fitness back again played midfield today and was outstanding kicking 3 long running goals and using his brute strength in close to advantage, and I might add contested several ball ups and won them too. Only problem if he stays fit and keeps playing like this I doubt he'll still be there at our pick. McCluggage just keeps doing what he does at an extremely high level, he's an absolute gun. Willem Drew also moved well, good overhead and runs hard to link up, very good prospect.

For the Knights very taken with an inside/outside mid Matthew Signorello, hard at it with a good turn of foot, long kick, very good overhead and runs hard from stoppages to link up, very, very dratable IMO, Luke Bunker was OK too, big strong body but not overly quick, Lipinski did a few nice things but very raw, Murphy also showed some class at times. The Knights ruckman Roberts did a few nice things also.

On what I saw today obviously McCluggage will be long gone before our 1st pick but I'd be very comfortable using it on Jarrod Berry, he's the modern prototype tall mid that can play any position on the field well if required. Cedric Cox is such a sweet mover and exceptionally skilled, expect him to fly up the draft boards, could even go 1st round if he plays more games like today. Willem Drew also not out of the question but most likely a early to late 2nd round pick I feel. Hadn't heard a lot about Matthew Signorello up to now but this kid can really play and looks extremely draftable to my eye, could be a real smokey. Jarmaine Jones I definitely think is draftable also in the later rounds or rookie draft, love his competitiveness and hardness.

Last edited:
Match details up on the TAC site now.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?c=0-3020-0-392810-0&pool=1&fixture=124571077&a=MATCH

NORTH BALLARAT REBELS
Goal Kickers: J. Jones 5, H. McCluggage 4, J. Berry 3, S. White, J. McQueen, T. Reed, W. Drew, L. Meek, S. Beks
Best Players: J. Berry, C. Cox, H. McCluggage, W. Drew, C. Lee, J. Jones
NORTHERN KNIGHTS
Goal Kickers: O. Stapleton 2, M. Andrews 2, M. Signorello 2, M. Harman, S. Binion, L. Murphy, J. Petruccelle
Best Players: M. Signorello, L. Murphy, P. Lipinski, L. Bunker, M. Blakey, J. Shea
PLAYER MATCH STATS

Particularly interested in Cedric Cox - indigenous , come from WA to vic country footy to turning heads in tac cup

Outside class and speed and very 2 sided

Bicks - I've heard he drops in and out of games , please check this out

Not today, looked to link up at every opportunity, didn't look timid at the contest at all and found plenty of the footy, quick, elite kick, don't think he missed a target all day, extremely impressive and I was sitting just up from Hamish Ogilvie who looked to be taking particular notice of him...if that's what Cedric brings to the table every match from here on in he will fly up the draft order.

Z2oqK9.jpg

Last edited:
Not today, looked to link up at every opportunity, didn't look timid at the contest at all and found plenty of the footy, quick, elite kick, don't think he missed a target all day, extremely impressive and I was sitting just up from Hamish Ogilvie who looked to be taking particular notice of him...if that's what Cedric brings to the table every match from here on in he will fly up the draft order.

Z2oqK9.jpg
Just the sort of player we need bicks !!!

Glad Hamish was there . Quick , skilful and left / right sided ?

Saw ya mate Steele play today , he's too good for neafl

Can't believe Wilson was playing too , absolute gun

Just got back from the Ballarat Rebels vs the Northern Knights game today.....Our No.1 Recruiter Hamish Ogilvie was there, had a quick chat to him, bugger doesn't give much away, asked him if we were were looking for another midfielder, answer as " We're just looking for good players", asked him if Thommo was going on next year as to me looks to be slowing down a bit, said he wasn't sure yet but did say he's been pretty good this year in his opinion, he did say with a smile he reckons Thommo will likely want to.

Rebels 18.11 119 defeated Knights 10.9 69
The standout players today for the Rebels were mainly the usual suspects midfielders Hugh McCluggage 4 goals, Jarrod Berry 3 goals and Willem Drew, great game from indigenous small forward Jarmaine Jones 5 goals and an absolute hard nut and tackling machine, first time I've seen Cedric Cox, exceptional kick on both feet, rarely missed a target, runs hard, great agility and pace [he's a serious talent], Lloyd Meek the Ruckman was good around the ground, good overhead and hit the scoreboard. Jarrod Berry now he's got his fitness back again played midfield today and was outstanding kicking 3 long running goals and using his brute strength in close to advantage, and I might add contested several ball ups and won them too. Only problem if he stays fit and keeps playing like this I doubt he'll still be there at our pick. McCluggage just keeps doing what he does at an extremely high level, he's an absolute gun. Willem Drew also moved well, good overhead and runs hard to link up, very good prospect.

For the Knights very taken with an inside/outside mid Matthew Signorello, hard at it with a good turn of foot, long kick, very good overhead and runs hard from stoppages to link up, very, very dratable IMO, Luke Bunker was OK too, big strong body but not overly quick, Lipinski did a few nice things but very raw, Murphy also showed some class at times. The Knights ruckman Roberts did a few nice things also.

On what I saw today obviously McCluggage will be long gone before our 1st pick but I'd be very comfortable using it on Jarrod Berry, he's the modern prototype tall mid that can play any position on the field well if required. Cedric Cox is such a sweet mover and exceptionally skilled, expect him to fly up the draft boards, could even go 1st round if he plays more games like today. Willem Drew also not out of the question but most likely a early to late 2nd round pick I feel. Hadn't heard a lot about Matthew Signorello up to now but this kid can really play and looks extremely draftable to my eye, could be a real smokey. Jarmaine Jones I definitely think is draftable also in the later rounds or rookie draft, love his competitiveness and hardness.
Awesome stuff Bicks !!!

Saw Giants neafl - wouldn't touch Barrett due to his kicking

Steele Finlayson and Wilson exhilarating , Aiden Corr is a solid type and going the other way Harry Macreadie might be the draft slider

I'm with you bicks - not unreasonable that a 1st round draft pick for us may make an impact , Milera still may do this year and why not next year for someone else ??!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back