Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Just a reminder that this thread is for media appearances and content relating to the lions that doesn't fit in an already existing thread, eg sen interviews etc.
If you find an article on leppa or our coaching and staffing please place it in the relevant thread to do with the topic. A number of those sort of posts have been moved in order to not fragment the conversation.

If you want to discuss Leppa go here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/is-leppa-the-right-man-for-the-job.1109945

If you want to discuss any other aspects of our coaching situation please head over here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brisbane-lions-coaching-and-staff-thread.1094369

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
BRISBANE captain Tom Rockliff has denied any rift with Lions management.

Fairfax Media today reported that Rockliff is “at odds with club leaders” along with claims that Lions powerbroker Leigh Matthews will leave the club along with embattled coach Justin Leppitsch.

While Rockliff said he knew nothing about speculation Matthews would resign from his official role at Brisbane, he again reaffirmed his support for Leppitsch to coach in 2017 and said there was no truth of discontent between him and the club’s hierarchy.

“It’s good that it’s a Melbourne paper,” Rockliff said.

“There always seems to be rumours about me having loggerheads with club leaders and people within the club but there’s nothing in it, it couldn’t be any further from the truth.

“I’m not sure where a few of these people get their stories from. They wouldn’t print anything if they didn’t have a source and that’s for them to decide on whether they want to print it or not.

“We really don’t see a lot of those reporters up here in the inner sanctum.”

ockliff admitted this season had been “frustrating” for the Lions, who won only their third game last weekend against Carlton, but said their largely inexperienced list still had a lot to learn on how to play together as a team.

He said the playing group had regular meetings to discuss the club’s direction and he often spoke with chief executive Greg Swann and the board to convey the players’ thoughts.

“The playing group understands where we’re at and the road that we’re taking,” Rockliff told RSN radio this morning.

“It is a little bit frustrating when there is continued articles to be written but we’re in that industry and when you’ve only won two, three games for the season then people are going to write articles like that and try to pick holes within the footy club.

“It’s important that we just catch up as a playing group, and we’ve done that the last few weeks, and just check in to make sure we’re all on the same page and we’re all driving the bus in the same direction.”

Brisbane is expected to make a decision on Leppitsch after Round 23.

Despite handing Leppitsch a one-year contract extension in March, the Lions are likely to cut ties with him and make a fresh start next year.

On the coach, Rockliff said: “Leppa is contracted for 2017 and I’d be expecting him to coach”.

Former Carlton coach Brett Ratten has been linked to the Lions top job, but Essendon great Tim Watson said earlier this week that Matthews, who led the appointment of Leppitsch, should return as coach to stablise the club.

Collingwood premiership coach Mick Malthouse told SEN radio this morning needed someone who has coached his own team, but laughed off suggestions he could throw his hat in the ring.

Rockliff also said the Lions deserved a priority pick so they could keep building their list with more youth.

However, he conceded the club was partly to blame for five players wanting out of the club in 2013.

“We lost a lot of high draft picks (in 2013), which was probably our own fault looking back, but if you’re a good organisation and you’re a good footy club you keep players like that,” he said.

“So just trying to get more talent on the list I think it’s important that we do get that priority pick.

“It’s going to be a long road for us. One player I don’t think, as an 18-year-old, is going to make us jump from 17th to eighth next year. It’s important we just get someone on our list and continue to build it.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/b37d36b79b965ca7a098d6acc4816b63

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Rocky says it's okay, therefore it must be okay.

...right?

*grasps frantically for any and all straws*

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That everyone is all friends and no one is getting fired and we're on the right path...right? I'm not trying to read too much positivity in what I just read, right?

...anyone else know where there are more straws?

just looks like a captain looking after his boss sought of thing. Some feel that he deserves another year with a fully fit squad and improved younger talent.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eppitsch-set-to-lose-job-20160816-gqu1oj.html

Wow. I'm not surprised a hell of a lot, but that's still pretty big.

I think this is my favourite bit.

Although the AFL has indicated it will inject additional funds of at least $1.2 million into the football department, league bosses have become disenchanted with Brisbane's perceived victim mentality while conceding its facilities are the worst in the AFL and that the club was handed a significantly unfavourable draw in 2016

The whole paragraph is contradictory, but could you get a more vague assertive statement if you tried?

Last of the Roys

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I think this is my favourite bit.

Although the AFL has indicated it will inject additional funds of at least $1.2 million into the football department, league bosses have become disenchanted with Brisbane's perceived victim mentality while conceding its facilities are the worst in the AFL and that the club was handed a significantly unfavourable draw in 2016

The whole paragraph is contradictory, but could you get a more vague assertive statement if you tried?

Yes it is fantastically ridiculous, almost comical in its unashamed contradictory nature.

I must admit it made me laugh. What else can you do at rubbish like that?

I think it is really code though for "no one complains publicly about the AFL and gets away with it regardless of the merits of the complaint".

Nice to see the arrogant *******s culture built under Vlad shows no signs of changing (to be fair it has been building ever since the VFL / AFL commission was started). A ridiculously bloated circle jerking echo chamber boys club (beat that description of the AFL) who continue to show their contempt for everyday fans.

It might just be me, but I'm a little disappointed how much talk there is of our 'new coach'. As of today, our coach is Leppa, why do journo's talk as if he isn't even there any more?

It's not said till its said. Then they can birch and moan.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Im still expecting leppa to be there next season. Have done since round 15. Now with 2 more wins on the board. One against a list like Carltons.

Give him till round 15 next year with a healthy list (hopefully).

L Dizz

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To be honest, I've hardly looked at big footy since the Olympics have been on, so it might have been mentioned already, but did you notice that apparently there's a splintering of the playing group at Fremantle now and everyone hates Nat Fyfe. It seems like the media just report that it's all sunshine and lollipops and "great culture" when teams are winning, and that's why they're great. But when they're down the bottom everyone hates each other and that's why they're losing.

I'd imagine, that like any large group, not everyone at the club (or any club) are best mates, but it seems when teams are winning the media doesn't care about this, but as soon as you start losing it's the entire reason.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
To be honest, I've hardly looked at big footy since the Olympics have been on, so it might have been mentioned already, but did you notice that apparently there's a splintering of the playing group at Fremantle now and everyone hates Nat Fyfe. It seems like the media just report that it's all sunshine and lollipops and "great culture" when teams are winning, and that's why they're great. But when they're down the bottom everyone hates each other and that's why they're losing.

I'd imagine, that like any large group, not everyone at the club (or any club) are best mates, but it seems when teams are winning the media doesn't care about this, but as soon as you start losing it's the entire reason.
that's the media for you, most of them don't like to expend too much energy researching/investigating stories, just go with the old tried and true narratives ie. scandal, headline grab. not too many Woodward and Bernsteins in the AFl media landscape.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It might just be me, but I'm a little disappointed how much talk there is of our 'new coach'. As of today, our coach is Leppa, why do journo's talk as if he isn't even there any more?
Sportz journo-ism 101. Take a stab at something that might possibly happen and look like an insightful genius if/when it does. They are betting that this will indeed happen and those who were most adamant, will appear as though they really have their fingers on the pulse, journoistic credibility and impeccable sources. This is so punters will pay attention to them in the future. Snooze (wait for actual facts), you lose.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Leigh is a great character isn't he. Always speaks with humour and has another crack at the AFL, and implies that he may stay too. Clearly has a deep love for the club.

Last of the Roys

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club

Deserves more than a like - this is a fantastic point. Unfortunately this phenomenon is not something new.

It's a media report.

Thats not what this thread is for. This thread isn't for the posting of any media report. Its for giving people heads up on upcoming media appearances such as radio or tv interviews, not for the posting of stories reported. If you find a story put it in the relevant place.

Thats not what this thread is for. This thread isn't for the posting of any media report. Its for giving people heads up on upcoming media appearances such as radio or tv interviews, not for the posting of stories reported. If you find a story put it in the relevant place.

Just to follow up on this, the media alert thread should be used as a last resort if you can't find an appropriate thread to post an article. So for anything on coaching, Leppa, Rocky etc post it in the relevant thread. We would like to try and keep the media alert thread for notifications on upcoming media appearances as well as the odd article which doesn't fit into any existing threads.

We are experiencing the problem at the moment where people are having a conversation about Leppa (for instance) over about 3 threads which isn't really ideal or overly productive. It is really about an ease of use thing for everyone who posts on the board - no one wants to read the same conversation over multiple threads.

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just to follow up on this, the media alert thread should be used as a last resort if you can't find an appropriate thread to post an article. So for anything on coaching, Leppa, Rocky etc post it in the relevant thread. We would like to try and keep the media alert thread for notifications on upcoming media appearances as well as the odd article which doesn't fit into any existing threads.

We are experiencing the problem at the moment where people are having a conversation about Leppa (for instance) over about 3 threads which isn't really ideal or overly productive. It is really about an ease of use thing for everyone who posts on the board - no one wants to read the same conversation over multiple threads.
Then the last 340 pages have gone against the 'rules' of this thread. Why decide now to enforce them?

Zhesty

All Australian
Feb 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Broncos
I quite like having the one thread with all lions related media articles. It avoids me having to forage through all the the stuff in the other threads. A bit like the official trade/draft news thread we have at the end of the season.

Anyway, I understand that it's not the purpose of this thread and appreciate the job the mods do around here.

Then the last 340 pages have gone against the 'rules' of this thread. Why decide now to enforce them?

I don't understand the need to argue about this? We're trying to provide people with a more user friendly board in terms of participating in conversations and reading content on a topic in the one thread rather than across multiple threads.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My apologies in that case.
I always saw the thread as a bit of a compendium for all media, including articles, in case people don't read every publication available.
I agree that any ensuing discussion should be in the appropriate thread if there is one.
Some threads hold little interest for some people, until there is something actually reported.

It does lead to doubling up though, I guess, so stick it the other thread guys.:$

Back