Sydney - Qatar Airlines Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

But only the Swans and the Saints have a game associated that directly contradicts the theology of their new sponsor (effectively the Qatar government).

Very different.

Loving the passion in most Swans supporters to justify this though, only one has said, yep fishy, the others are holding onto scraps of dignity.

I couldn't give a toss where the money comes from (short of criminal acts). I'm just pointing out that every club will take the money over their morality (even your own). It's that you can't see that which is the very amusing part.

This thread is epic already. An airline sponsors a footy team and we infer that as ISIS and the Qatar government on a gay-hunt...

So if we look at North Melbourne we have a clothing manufacturer who was busted for paying child labourers 11 rupees per hand stitched rugby ball, a car manufacturer who is part of the ongoing diesel emissions scandal (along with another Swans sponsor VW), and the mighty golden arches restaurant chain who have been involved in every scandal under the sun from beef laden "vegetarian french fries" to more labour law violations than humanly possible.

Basically every large company has done something wrong or been sued at some point. AFL clubs are businesses who rely on sponsorship and are therefore tied to large companies who can provide it. Move on.

Sherrin and Canterbury had policies against this and were unaware it was happening, it was their offshore manufacturers that were secretly subcontracting work out. They fixed it once they found out. That is very different to knowingly entering into an arrangement such as this.

Emissions higher than reported and french fries, seriously?

But only the Swans and the Saints have a game associated that directly contradicts the theology of their new sponsor (effectively the Qatar government).

Very different.

Loving the passion in most Swans supporters to justify this though, only one has said, yep fishy, the others are holding onto scraps of dignity.
I think you'll find most Swans supporters aren't responding because they can see how silly the connection is.

Qatar also prohibits alcohol and public displays of affection, yet you don't see people who like a drink or a cuddle throwing their toys around. Qatar law does not accept dual nationality but you don't see people who hold two passports kicking up a stink.

You're deliberately trolling to try to make something an issue and, being an internet forum, you'll find enough comrades to ride your jolly bandwagon and this thread will go round and round with pointless dribble until it either gets banned or people get bored.

Sherrin and Canterbury had policies against this and were unaware it was happening, it was their offshore manufacturers that were secretly subcontracting work out. They fixed it once they found out. That is very different to knowingly entering into an arrangement such as this.

Emissions higher than reported and french fries, seriously?
So gay rights are important but not vegan rights or the environment? Or are all these things equally important in their own right?

How did I know you'd be all over this thread? If they had anti-Sydney memberships you'd be a platinum member.

I think you'll find most Swans supporters aren't responding because they can see how silly the connection is.

Qatar also prohibits alcohol and public displays of affection, yet you don't see people who like a drink or a cuddle throwing their toys around. Qatar law does not accept dual nationality but you don't see people who hold two passports kicking up a stink.

You're deliberately trolling to try to make something an issue and, being an internet forum, you'll find enough comrades to ride your jolly bandwagon and this thread will go round and round with pointless dribble until it either gets banned or people get bored.

So lets take this scenario. Next Pride Game, Sydney offer a set prize to a lucky couple for a trip to Qatar on Qatar Airways. A gay couple win, travel to the country, get arrested for a public display of affection. If it was a normal AFL game, no worries. But because it was a Pride game, it would be a great idea to have a gay couple win. However, you are sending them to a place that does not accept gay behaviour.

You telling me you cannot see that there is a chance that this may be an issue?

As a side note, I'm reasonably sure this makes Sydney the most lucrative domestic sports team in the country with regards to $$ from sponsors, edging out Collingwood.

Tough being a club in a development market. So few opportunities.

We also are sponsored by Volkswagen

You know that the original beetle was Hitler's pet project. A VW sponsorship clearly equates to Nazi sympathising.

This isn't Gay Marriage, this is gay lifestyle. I would say that it doesn't condone the actions but I would think you are aligning yourself with their ideology. Would they accept a sponsorship from ISIS?

I can see where your misguided pain may be coming from. ISIS has caused a refugee crisis throughout the world where people have had to flee for survival.
But as a North Melbourne supporter you can't make such a comparison just because your team first fled Victoria to NSW, then Canberra, then nearly the Gold Coast to now finally settle in Tasmania for survival.

That's in fact offensive!

So gay rights are important but not vegan rights or the environment? Or are all these things equally important in their own right?

How did I know you'd be all over this thread? If they had anti-Sydney memberships you'd be a platinum member.

No issue with Sydney-Qatar, but the Price Game connection is the issue. If NMFC joined up to the Clean Air Association (if there is such a thing) then got sponsored by a Coal company, I would see the same issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see where your misguided pain may be coming from. ISIS has caused a refugee crisis throughout the world where people have had to flee for survival.
But as a North Melbourne supporter you can't make such a comparison just because your team first fled Victoria to NSW, then Canberra, then nearly the Gold Coast to now finally settle in Tasmania for survival.

That's in fact offensive!

More in common with British Empire. Always stayed in the same spot but sent out expeditions to find quick cash. In the end most territories were lost but we still hold onto a lucrative one!

If it was my club I wouldn't give a *. Not even one. I'd take sponsorship $$$$ from any campaigner, i don't care. McDonalds, KFC, the RSL, the Morans, ISIS, Qatar, the liberal party, your mum.

Whatever the most horrendous rank s**t you can think of I guarantee I'd happily cash a cheque from them.

Anyway it's not my club so therefore I'm disgusted, is that the point of this thread?

Anyway it's not my club so therefore I'm disgusted, is that the point of this thread?

You've pretty summed up the main board. Also that's sig worthy, so thanks!

If it was my club I wouldn't give a ****. Not even one. I'd take sponsorship $$$$ from any campaigner, i don't care. McDonalds, KFC, the RSL, the Morans, ISIS, Qatar, the liberal party, your mum.

Whatever the most horrendous rank s**t you can think of I guarantee I'd happily cash a cheque from them.

There's always one that takes it too far... ;).

Eating some dodgy french fries does not even come close. As for emissions, those cars are still quite environmentally friendly compared to many, just not up to the standards they were claiming. Anyway, my point was was those companies are fixing their problems. Clubs didn't knowingly enter into arrangements with the knowledge of dubious practices.

And of course those clubs don't play games promoting Vegan rights and High Emission Standards.

Give back or don't accept the portion attributed to gambling revenues. Not difficult.
LOL talk to your premier partner first.

SWANS_007.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back