Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reports are that they are offering wells and waite contracts for next year.

I totally get the peitrie decision the dal santo one and the firrito.
Its the harvey one that doesnt make sense.

Who is he keeping out of the side? Nahas? His form hasnt dropped and he is a club great and they decide to do all of this via a press release on the eve of the last game of the season?

Reports are that they are offering wells and waite contracts for next year.

I totally get the peitrie decision the dal santo one and the firrito.
Its the harvey one that doesnt make sense.

Who is he keeping out of the side? Nahas? His form hasnt dropped and he is a club great and they decide to do all of this via a press release on the eve of the last game of the season?

their coaches brother sacked chapman, kelly, stokes and s johnson.

Apart from his actual footballing ability you'd think Harvey would have a lot to offer in terms of leadership and development for the next cohort of players coming through. Who would you rather have giving guidance to a debutant mid/fwd during a game? Harvey or ******* Nahas?

With any luck they'll do a Melbourne and delist the very heart and soul from the club, all the leaders, all the onfield coaches, and spend the next decade or so getting curbstomped.

Apart from his actual footballing ability you'd think Harvey would have a lot to offer in terms of leadership and development for the next cohort of players coming through. Who would you rather have giving guidance to a debutant mid/fwd during a game? Harvey or ******* Nahas?

With any luck they'll do a Melbourne and delist the very heart and soul from the club, all the leaders, all the onfield coaches, and spend the next decade or so getting curbstomped.
This is exactly what will happen. They have a s**t list demographic, are about to rebuild with no currency on their list to trade for picks, will have cap room but no elite players will want to go there because they are a small club with no success on the horizon and have a poor recent history of developing youth.

I will enjoy every second of their demise.

Getting rid of Harvey is very public concession that North knows that it won't be near the top 4/premiership race in 2017 (which should not really come as any surprise - it was 2016 or bust and injuries got in the way this year).

The other three are just necessary list management calls. Petrie and Dal Santo are hardly commanding best 22 spots on form. Firitto is serviceable but takes up one of three KPD spots which means that they'll never get a look at part of the next gen unless they force him to retire so while harsh it is the right move.

Heard Watson on the radio this morning saying that North had already come to an agreement with Mayne. Don't see the problem with bringing in more experienced players, or a gun, but I'm not sure what the point of Mayne is.

I also don't think that a full re-build is required but they will have to be careful. If I was in charge at North I'd be using 2017 to get as many games into their 20 to 23 year olds as possible (e.g. Garner, Durdin, McKay, Clarker, Dumont, McDonald, Vickers-Willis - who would seem to be a Firitto replacement), take stock at the end of 2017 and then have a look at what is needed and recruit on that basis.

Their justification for using free agency as much as they have has always been that they have taken almost all of their first and second round picks under Scott. That's fine, and I like the theory, but there has to be a time at which the players they draft are given opportunities otherwise they'll be wasted (it's is something we failed to come to terms with and resulted in the waste of the best part of two drafts and about 12 picks).

The way in which careers have been ended is strange. I don't think it is North being insensitive, my suspicion is that it is part of a power struggle between football department and the veterans. Scott is loved by his players and ultra loyal but I reckon that it can cause problems for a coach who has been at a club as long as he has which can result in the players not deferring to their coach as they should (Bomber described something similar at the end of his time at Geelong when he said that it was like they weren't listening to him any more).

What I am not looking forward to is the commentary about the top up that set North back. They were in control in the West in a prelim in 2015 until some umpire assistance changed the momentum in that game. They would also have known that, while quality would almost certainly have been the difference, they would not have wilted in the face of the Hawks GF pressure the way West Coast did.

North had to throw everything at trying to win a flag this year, they were too close not to try. In hindsight it was the perfect year to try to pinch a flag with no standout teams but everything had to go right on the injury front for them to be a chance and it did not. Even if they have a bad year next year it doesn't mean that they made the wrong call (it's not like us pretending that we are a side that wins finals).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to admire the Scott brothers for their sheer 'balls' in moving on experienced/popular players but I would have kept Harvey to help teach, keep the fans happy and because he's a gun.

But what would I know.
Good chance it bites them in the arse. People aren't robots and real life isn't like managing a list in some FIFA video game. Intangible stuff like culture matters a lot more than people think

Surely he's not thinking of playing on at another club!? Who would realistically be considering him?

edit: don't get me wrong, I know that he's a great player. But would Adelaide take him, in a premiership window? Would Carlton take him, when they're trying to build a list? Would Hawthorn want him, when they're probably about due for a rebuild?

It's one thing for a club to keep their own old blokes around for the sake of teaching the young ones... or to bring in premiership players to build a culture. But bringing in old (OLD) players from North??

edit2:

Last edited:
It was a pre-meditated act - Lady reached into her handbag, found a banana, and threw it in Bett's direction' How many people take bananas to the footy ? n
I take bananas to the footy sometimes, in all seriousness.

Certainly wouldn't throw them (or anything) at other people, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back