Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can the Swans justify participating in the Pride game while accepting money from the state-owned Qatar Airways?
I have two thoughts on the AFL's "pride" initiatives.

On one hand I think it's hypocritical, because having spoken to hundreds of football players I know (generalising) that most of them are ignorant, stupid meat heads that make fun of the LGBTIQ community. I cringe when I see St Kilda and Sydney players in "pride" jumpers and think what the actual conversations between those players are like behind closed doors.

But on the other hand, it does send a message to the masses that watch football. If it reaches even a few hundred young people and helps them to grow up accepting LGBTIQ people, then it's worth it.

Last edited:

I take bananas to the footy sometimes, in all seriousness.

Certainly wouldn't throw them (or anything) at other people, though.

I'm going to the game tomorrow night at AO (husband is a Weagles supporter) and I usually take a banana as well ... I'm actually worried they'll think I'm going to throw it at a player.

Surely he's not thinking of playing on at another club!? Who would realistically be considering him?

edit: don't get me wrong, I know that he's a great player. But would Adelaide take him, in a premiership window? Would Carlton take him, when they're trying to build a list? Would Hawthorn want him, when they're probably about due for a rebuild?

It's one thing for a club to keep their own old blokes around for the sake of teaching the young ones... or to bring in premiership players to build a culture. But bringing in old (OLD) players from North??

edit2:

It's somewhat tricky as I doubt they want to move interstate, but if Harvey and Dal Santo face a lack of offers then something is seriously wrong. It's an one year deal for a delisted free agent who can still go. What have you got to lose, pick 65?

It's somewhat tricky as I doubt they want to move interstate, but if Harvey and Dal Santo face a lack of offers then something is seriously wrong. It's an one year deal for a delisted free agent who can still go. What have you got to lose, pick 65?
and a list spot, and a bit of cap space (okay probably not that much cap space)...

I'm not saying no one will go for him, he's certainly experienced and still playing well. But a lot of clubs have youth policies now, and most of the rest are going into rebuilds (and if you really want an experienced player for an extra year you'd keep your own).

GWS should be the exception rather than the rule, with a young list and room for a bit of experience (hence StevieJ)...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being shithouse hasn't helped.
Neither of them are much good as it stands, but with Gold Coast having the pick of local talent and Brisbane being handicapped in the drafting (and thus development) of good local players... they're forced to draft interstaters. Not that they're doing a whole lot to help themselves with the rumours around about their culture and ability to retain good players from interstate. Culture is cheap compared to new facilities and hefty contracts... but it would go a long way towards negating all that other trouble.

Neither of them are much good as it stands, but with Gold Coast having the pick of local talent and Brisbane being handicapped in the drafting (and thus development) of good local players... they're forced to draft interstaters. Not that they're doing a whole lot to help themselves with the rumours around about their culture and ability to retain good players from interstate. Culture is cheap compared to new facilities and hefty contracts... but it would go a long way towards negating all that other trouble.

3 on the trot ten year ago. They can GAGF.

The club is basically horribly run - you can build a good culture if there's something to believe in (PAFC serves as a neat example) - that they even put themselves in a position where Leppitsch wound up as coach is a farce. That they stuck with Voss for as long as they did is another. The writing was on the wall before the Vladspawn arrived.

While we're talking about farces:

• Suspended players not winning the Brownlow is really bad
  • Brisbane are s**t
  • Silvagni is playing 4-dimensional chess
  • Gubby Allen is playing 4-dimensional chess
  • It's Adrian Dodoro's world, we're just living in it. He's also playing 4-dimensional chess
  • Fremantle are s**t
  • Geelong are the retirement experts in ways that NMFC are not
  • Cochrane is playing 4-dimensional chess
  • "Rommel... you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"
  • Graham Wright is playing 4-dimensional chess
  • Hogan's loyalty is a dubious prospect
  • NMFC are playing Grape Escape
  • Jehovah's Witnesses are good presenters
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is an excellent franchise
  • Children, children. Future, future.
  • Nic Nat is a top bloke
  • Sometimes good players don't play as well as they used to
  • Damien Barrett tackles the big issues

This. **** em. No sympathy whatsoever. Please merge. Again.

Yeah, they won multiple flags on the back of draft concessions, drafted for the now to keep at the top and now are reaping the other side of that.

Waaah, we haven't won a flag for 12 years. Cry me a *in river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back