NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I agree on the comments ,, it is of a good standard, and I recognise it helps players to be looked at by AFL recruiters ,,, my major point , was ,, there is just no soul , no real feeling from spectators ,, poor attendances at games etc etc. and the dollars required just to compete in the comp is huge for the Aspleys, Redlands , Sharks ,Canberra demons and UNI
Yes, Stuyd1, and I don't suppose that you'd be putting much of your own money in to keep a team on the paddock, heh ? I wouldn't.
But we like to support local footy though and I'm always happy to throw in a few bucks for the local Sydney suburban clubs.
No real feeling for NEAFL from the spectators in Sydney and hardly anyone turns up. It reminds me of when the F1 Grand Prix goes to Bahrain and the racing might be gripping, but there's no-one sitting in the stands.

Only speaking from a Uni perspective, it is because we want to play at as high a level as possible and our partners at Sydney Uni Sport and Fitness encourage and support us to do so.

Why do you think the clubs continue in the NEAFL do you think? Sounds like hard work raising revenue for minimal return?

IMO ,, The Neafl has become a competition with no soul whatsoever ... shame ,, its a comp that wants to be a tier one comp but is nowhere near it and it seperates itself from being a grassroots competition ... Answer to solve it ,,, well I dont have one ,,,
Get the feeling its just to give the AFL ressie sides a competition to compete in ... whilst the local clubs need to find huge amounts of dollars just to be in the comp...

that's what it has been from the beginning. the swans were sick of playing against average teams at best in the sydney comp and they pushed the afl to create this. even though they had a decent side to be affiliated with in the vfl which gave their reserves a decent hit out each week

Of course it is. It wasn't set bc the club sides involved had outgrown their previous comps.
A question for consideration/discussion then. If no NEAFL comp where does local, home grown talent like James Ives and Josh Wagner play?

A question for consideration/discussion then. If no NEAFL comp where does local, home grown talent like James Ives and Josh Wagner play?

Hornets Nest - A very good question in fact above, as mentioned in earlier posts the NEAFL is a good launching place for young talent into the AFL, IMO and I stress IMO, it is just a shame that the greater City and surrounds of Sydney is not an AFL groomed City, with only 1 non AFL side from within this City's region playing in the NEAFL Competition. I know that the NSWAFL do have a current structured Competition so should the NEAFL ever fold (heaven forbid), then we here in Qld I would suspect that our 5 NEAFL sides would just re-evolve back into the current AFLQ structure, that is where the players mentioned above and all other IMO would play and still get drafted from if good enough.

With only 1 side coming from Canberra after a culling period since the NEAFL's inception, this shows the depth from that region is also stretched as far as playing and being competitive in a Competition which is growing in stature year after year.

It quite laughable that the knockers of Queensland's AFL program in the past, in regard of our state being mainly a Rugby League or Rugby Union State, has 3 Non AFL sides within an 11 team Eastern Australian Tier 1 AFL Football Competition (before the knockers once again get on here and whinge that it does not rival the other AFL states (that's more that a quarter), just remember it has 4 AFL Reserve sides playing within it and represents players from 2 States and 2 Territories).

I must say, I enjoy driving half the KM's from Home to Aspley, rather than another half again to the Gabba, to watch locally a great level of footy played by guys who play mostly for their Club and Jumper, while on the other hand at the Gabba we lately only see a bunch of over rated, overpaid useless rabble not worthy of being called collectively AFL players and who through their feeble efforts treat their supporters and the competition they play in with contempt week in and week out,

It is also great to see at our local NEAFL footy club the other footy sides from the breadth of the Eastern States of Australia playing as well, we might not fill the grounds up to the brim in the NEAFL Competition, but is fills our (those who truly follow the game) hearts with pride when we win (especially a flag) or have a player drafted to a higher level.

Long live the NEAFL and those who play within it and more importantly those who support it.

victorian (vfl) club/s interested in Baker from Demons.....WAFL interested in Harper....i believe there are several fellows throughout the NEAFL who would handle those leagues if there was no NEAFL. they would probably go too. thats why im glad NEAFL exists and is improving so some of this local talent doesnt get poached.

both GWS and Swans look strong this weekend. i reckon they'll both be hard to be beat.

I would think they would have to head to SANFL/VFL/WAFL footy HN. Not really fair mind you, and certainly not what you would want, but the bottom line is recruiters want to be able to put a line through people that is equivalent (roughly) to the line that they put through comparable blokes from other comps. The old QAFL didn't allow them to do this. I think what we will find, and it has already started to happen, is the nEAFL provides a great springboard for those blokes who were missed or injured around their U18 year. Ives is a great example - probably his 1st season of injury free footy for a while and he was the best kid in Qld back in his last "junior"year. Good on him, hope he does get picked up by someone.

I would think they would have to head to SANFL/VFL/WAFL footy HN. Not really fair mind you, and certainly not what you would want, but the bottom line is recruiters want to be able to put a line through people that is equivalent (roughly) to the line that they put through comparable blokes from other comps. The old QAFL didn't allow them to do this. I think what we will find, and it has already started to happen, is the nEAFL provides a great springboard for those blokes who were missed or injured around their U18 year. Ives is a great example - probably his 1st season of injury free footy for a while and he was the best kid in Qld back in his last "junior"year. Good on him, hope he does get picked up by someone.

Ives would thrive in Victoria. Tough kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

victorian (vfl) club/s interested in Baker from Demons.....WAFL interested in Harper....i believe there are several fellows throughout the NEAFL who would handle those leagues if there was no NEAFL. they would probably go too. thats why im glad NEAFL exists and is improving so some of this local talent doesnt get poached.

both GWS and Swans look strong this weekend. i reckon they'll both be hard to be beat.

I guess that was a part of the reason for the question and quite possibly a big reason why a few local clubs take on the expense. Maybe part ego but surely for the betterment of football for everyone: players and spectators.

Alley, your comment below (Quote)!

Congratulations to the Swans, they outplayed Aspley on all aspects of the game - After 2 final loses in the past 2 years I guess they had a point to prove, Blairy you are a legend but our Aspley Guns looked very rusty today and they did not fire too many shots when needed. Well done all the same to the Hornets in keeping our finals dreams alive, we supporters although a little disappointed look forward to next year, as with some smart recruiting and some clever restructuring I am sure another GF appearance is only 53 weeks away.

The new boys the Swans having a run in the game today??? looked at home and I again stress based on how they played there are some future AFL players in NSW they are just being kept behind closed doors in the lower leagues in case the other AFL clubs find them and they are lost. Titch, titch, titch.

Good luck to the NEAFL G/F finalists next week and bring on season 2017 (hopefully without an AFL bye at the end of the home and away season WTF).

I hear the NEAFL are very keen to host the grannie at Spotless before the AFL QF but spotless management are resisting it because they want to preserve the surface for the possible AFL SF the following week

The other option is Blacktown on the Sunday

Alley, your comment below (Quote)!

Congratulations to the Swans, they outplayed Aspley on all aspects of the game - After 2 final loses in the past 2 years I guess they had a point to prove, Blairy you are a legend but our Aspley Guns looked very rusty today and they did not fire too many shots when needed. Well done all the same to the Hornets in keeping our finals dreams alive, we supporters although a little disappointed look forward to next year, as with some smart recruiting and some clever restructuring I am sure another GF appearance is only 53 weeks away.

The new boys the Swans having a run in the game today??? looked at home and I again stress based on how they played there are some future AFL players in NSW they are just being kept behind closed doors in the lower leagues in case the other AFL clubs find them and they are lost. Titch, titch, titch.

Good luck to the NEAFL G/F finalists next week and bring on season 2017 (hopefully without an AFL bye at the end of the home and away season WTF).
i understand swans academy boys regularly train with swans afl club......fantastic experience and is evident in how well drilled the top ups are when they get their chance.

i watched most of both games yesterday and for mine....fitness and skill execution were key factors. i never question aspley or uni endeavor but its clear its professional v semi-professional. yesterdays gws side would have troubled essendon and bris lions afl sides!

very impressed with tom young walking away from spot fires in yesterdays game...pointless and he knew it. very good leadership

i understand swans academy boys regularly train with swans afl club......fantastic experience and is evident in how well drilled the top ups are when they get their chance.

i watched most of both games yesterday and for mine....fitness and skill execution were key factors. i never question aspley or uni endeavor but its clear its professional v semi-professional. yesterdays gws side would have troubled essendon and bris lions afl sides!
very impressed with tom young walking away from spot fires in yesterdays game...pointless and he knew it. very good leadership
Wow Ally, I think you're channelling me ! I sat down to tap out my thoughts and you've gotten there before me.
Aspley and the Uni showed great endeavour but they were never in the hunt against the AFL teams. And yes again, both AFL reserves teams could have held there own against the lower-ranked AFL teams.
Swans had 12 players who have played AFL-level this year and you couldn't expect Aspley to compete against Laidler, Ted Richards, Towers and Nankeris.
But it wasn't always this way, was it ? I reckon it's a bit of an abberation because the Swans and Giants seniors are just SO-O strong this year and that many serious players are relegated to the Magoos. But, if the community clubs are to make it next year then it will be more because the Swans and Giants fall away a bit, rather than because the community clubs get stronger.

The outcomes are a bit sad but, tell you what, it was GREAT to be there and see two matches of such fine footy skills for $10, and to stand at the huddles with the Rhys and Heath Shaw, big Mummy, Coniglio, Dylan Shiels, Luke Parker, Allir(x2). These are memories that I treasure about the time I spend with NEAFL.
NEAFL brings topline footy to the paddock football punters.

I agree wiih Damo that the Giants were hot this weekend but I thought the Swans performance was even better and I expect a one-sided GF. I'm tipping that the Swans will do the the Giants what they both did to Aspley and Uni yesterday.

Tough but AFL teams with good lists and minimal injuries will ALWAYS be miles too god for the club based sides and Thunder. And so they should be. Professional athletes vs amateurs. The best young kids in the land at GWS. The AFL got this formula right for success sooner rather than later better than the Suns. The Swans - what can you say. Just an awesome football club - don't do anything wrong it seems. Unlike the Giants whose academy region takes in the Riverina (which is ridiculous) they draw from regions that are genuinely non AFL areas.

Wow Ally, I think you're channelling me ! I sat down to tap out my thoughts and you've gotten there before me.
Aspley and the Uni showed great endeavour but they were never in the hunt against the AFL teams. And yes again, both AFL reserves teams could have held there own against the lower-ranked AFL teams.
Swans had 12 players who have played AFL-level this year and you couldn't expect Aspley to compete against Laidler, Ted Richards, Towers and Nankeris.
But it wasn't always this way, was it ? I reckon it's a bit of an abberation because the Swans and Giants seniors are just SO-O strong this year and that many serious players are relegated to the Magoos. But, if the community clubs are to make it next year then it will be more because the Swans and Giants fall away a bit, rather than because the community clubs get stronger.

The outcomes are a bit sad but, tell you what, it was GREAT to be there and see two matches of such fine footy skills for $10, and to stand at the huddles with the Rhys and Heath Shaw, big Mummy, Coniglio, Dylan Shiels, Luke Parker, Allir(x2). These are memories that I treasure about the time I spend with NEAFL.
NEAFL brings topline footy to the paddock football punters.

I agree wiih Damo that the Giants were hot this weekend but I thought the Swans performance was even better and I expect a one-sided GF. I'm tipping that the Swans will do the the Giants what they both did to Aspley and Uni yesterday.

Great to see Allir there and come over to the Aspley boys after the game to say good aye, pity when he was interviewed earlier in year for footy record that he did not mention the Aspley Football Club at all, who actually got him and his brothers into AFL at the start when he was a 13 year old, or how the club paid for the 3 boys to play there for a number of years, or the volunteers that for years made sure he and brothers got to games training and while juniors. That being said I believe the club and said volunteers are very proud of where he is today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back