Society/Culture This is straight out child abuse ("transgender" child)

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
How is this even legal?

NSW child, 4, identifies as transgender as data reveals growing referrals for gender dysphoria
A four-year-old who identifies as transgender has begun to transition before their first day at school, hoping to complete the full transformation by 2017
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/325...ds-of-kids-seeking-gender-reassignment/#page1

No.

A 4 year old child does not have the intellectual capacity to even grasp the concept. 41% of transgender people attempt suicide at one point in their life. According to John Hopkins University roughly 80% of children who exhibit transgender behaviors just snap out of it over time.

This has been pushed by the parents. The parents have doomed this child to a lifetime of questioning themselves, ruined any chance the child will ever have of reproducing and massively increased their odds of suicide. And for what? To prove how tolerant and progressive they are?

The media have lost their collective minds in promoting this crap. Obviously being considerate to people who suffer from gender dysphoria is something that should be encouraged, but encouraging children into that life should be considered child abuse. There is no excuse for this.

coerced

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What does this have to do with "safe schools"?
You realise children 4 and under do not partake in the program?
The article says otherwise, but I imagine it's incorrect. Even if it isn't part of Safe Schools, it sits within the same boneheaded ideology.

Is the child old enough to be able to make an informed decision?
At face value I wouldn't have thought so.

As much as I am in favour of a person's freedom to identify the way they want is this really helpful to the child?

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The article says otherwise, but I imagine it's incorrect. Even if it isn't part of Safe Schools, it sits within the same boneheaded ideology.
I think the decision is wrong here, but I dont see a need to relate its blame to safe schools. Sounds like the parents have made the call, really nothing to do with safe schools

The ideology is the same? I don't think even safe schools advocates for this

coerced

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the decision is wrong here, but I dont see a need to relate its blame to safe schools. Sounds like the parents have made the call, really nothing to do with safe schools

The ideology is the same? I don't think even safe schools advocates for this
Even if the Safe Schools program doesn't, the people at La Trobe Uni who came up with the program do.

Not sure why Safe schools was mentioned in the article but then I noticed that it was just a reprint of an article by Daily Terrograph.

However perhaps instead of taking it for granted that the child in question will immediately begins the transition process, perhaps it is may be useful to be better informed on the subject. I doubt very much that the child has begun transition.

http://www.rch.org.au/adolescent-medicine/gender-service/
http://blogs.rch.org.au/news/2014/06/10/whats-gender-dysphoria/

What a shame that some posters are not just as alarmed by the fact that two 12 year old boys have been charged with the rape of a six year old girl which unlike the article linked has been across all main media.

coerced

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
unlike the article linked has been across all main media.
Only outlet that hasn't reported on it is Fairfax, for whatever reason (possibly because many on their staff believe the Safe Schools nonsense)

Ruck Machine

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
Reality
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
They can 'identify' as whatever they like but if the start pumping this kids with hormones the it's definitely child abuse.

Any prepubescent hormone treatment for gender dysphoria is straight up child abuse.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Not sure why Safe schools was mentioned in the article but then I noticed that it was just a reprint of an article by Daily Terrograph.

However perhaps instead of taking it for granted that the child in question will immediately begins the transition process, perhaps it is may be useful to be better informed on the subject. I doubt very much that the child has begun transition.

http://www.rch.org.au/adolescent-medicine/gender-service/
http://blogs.rch.org.au/news/2014/06/10/whats-gender-dysphoria/

What a shame that some posters are not just as alarmed by the fact that two 12 year old boys have been charged with the rape of a six year old girl which unlike the article linked has been across all main media.

I hadn't heard about this and it has nothing to do with thread. Dont derail the thread with irrelevance.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon

Using childhood rape to score points?

I think all would be disgusted with what happened to that poor child in Sydney.

Using childhood rape to score points?

I think all would be disgusted with what happened to that poor child in Sydney.
No just putting things into perspective. Shame you missed the point.

I hadn't heard about this and it has nothing to do with thread. Dont derail the thread with irrelevance.
Has been on every major news site and also on BF.

Anyhow, did those links help in understanding the matter of transgender?
Further, the ABC had a very good episode on this some time ago of a very young boy (twin) and his story was very interesting.

The only point was to derail the thread with an irrelevant topic. You provided zero perspective.
I provided links which you may have missed due to you wanting to jump on my footnote.

I understand very clearly the point you are trying to make. I just don't understand why you would use the traumatic experience of a six year old girl to do so.
Perhaps because that is a factual and very sad situation whereas the comments of the child in this thread is based on an uniformed article.

I did provide some very reputable links for some to better understand the circumstances and processes involved in transgender transition however it is a shame no-one has deemed to comment.

Is the child old enough to be able to make an informed decision?
At face value I wouldn't have thought so.

As much as I am in favour of a person's freedom to identify the way they want is this really helpful to the child?

It does seem too young. Although, I do recall being around the same age and a girl at school being adamant she was a boy. She never changed her mind.
I also know of another young boy, who is showing all signs that he wants to be a girl. I'm glad these parents have at least a way to learn more about what their child is going through.

Oddly, the Australian puts some perspective on this case:
"The school initially registered on the Safe Schools anti-bullying site to access materials to help teachers prepare to assist the child."
and
"Leading child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg, who told The Daily Telegraph 250 children as young as three were being assisted by the gender dysphoria unit at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital, yesterday said there was some confusion over what transitioning meant.

“If they are a little boy and they want to be a little girl they dress as little girls, they grow their hair long, they are called by another name. It doesn’t actually mean that they get any medical intervention, that’s something that they may or may not do as they grow older as puberty approaches,’’ he told the Seven Network’s Sunrise."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...s/news-story/54bf9f6eac7010b01818f0c5ea9cc28f

It doesn’t actually mean that they get any medical intervention
I understand that, I have a trans older friend who is currently undergoing (non surgery) transition and there are mandatory waiting periods prior to any hormonal program as there are steps that need to be undertaken on the way.

There are quite significant emotional challenges that come with people transitioning and I question whether a child is fully equipped to meet those challenges.

It does seem too young. Although, I do recall being around the same age and a girl at school being adamant she was a boy. She never changed her mind.
I also know of another young boy, who is showing all signs that he wants to be a girl. I'm glad these parents have at least a way to learn more about what their child is going through.

Oddly, the Australian puts some perspective on this case:
"The school initially registered on the Safe Schools anti-bullying site to access materials to help teachers prepare to assist the child."
and
"Leading child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg, who told The Daily Telegraph 250 children as young as three were being assisted by the gender dysphoria unit at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital, yesterday said there was some confusion over what transitioning meant.

“If they are a little boy and they want to be a little girl they dress as little girls, they grow their hair long, they are called by another name. It doesn’t actually mean that they get any medical intervention, that’s something that they may or may not do as they grow older as puberty approaches,’’ he told the Seven Network’s Sunrise."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...s/news-story/54bf9f6eac7010b01818f0c5ea9cc28f
Agree it does seem very young.
I found the link to the story that was on ABC, the child in question was 7 though.
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2016/s4515697.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2016/s4515734.htm (Transcript)

I understand that, I have a trans older friend who is currently undergoing (non surgery) transition and there are mandatory waiting periods prior to any hormonal program as there are steps that need to be undertaken on the way.

There are quite significant emotional challenges that come with people transitioning and I question whether a child is fully equipped to meet those challenges.

Yeah, I have a friend who transitioned, and it was a very lengthy process. Its nothing to be taken lightly.
I agree, its a difficult situation all round. I am not sure the alternative (which was the way it has been handled - ie. ignore the kid) is the right way to handle it either.

The OP is also a stretch, stating that the parents have "ruined any chance of reproduction" or "massively increased the chance of suicide"

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perhaps because that is a factual and very sad situation whereas the comments of the child in this thread is based on an uniformed article.

I did provide some very reputable links for some to better understand the circumstances and processes involved in transgender transition however it is a shame no-one has deemed to comment.

All those links did was confirm what I said before - that only 20% of children that display gender variant behaviour will continue it into adolescence, and that a huge percentage will attempt suicide.

And neither of them explain how a 4 year old has any concept of gender identity. This should not be encouraged, because 80% of the time the child will grow out of it. By promoting this they're basically flipping a coin as to whether or not their kid will try to kill themself, and dooming them to a life in which they cannot have children. All this despite the fact that there is an 80% chance they will grow up with a normal gender identity.

All those links did was confirm what I said before - that only 20% of children that display gender variant behaviour will continue it into adolescence, and that a huge percentage will attempt suicide.

And neither of them explain how a 4 year old has any concept of gender identity. This should not be encouraged, because 80% of the time the child will grow out of it. By promoting this they're basically flipping a coin as to whether or not their kid will try to kill themself, and dooming them to a life in which they cannot have children. All this despite the fact that there is an 80% chance they will grow up with a normal gender identity.
I agree that they should not be encouraged at that age, but from my readings despite the parents, a psychologist gets involved with counseling and education for both the parents and child which is a key factor and not to be assumed it will automatically happen.

I do take issue with the article as it is a reprint from the Daily Telegraph and they are not known for printing facts and the full story.

Back