Universal Love James Sicily

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Until he delivers some hurt, I think he's going to attract some attention. Increasingly so. Would be high on the pissant hero brigades (Norths) radar.

I see him as very similar to Doc in that he's a tough, hard at it young turk. Doc was once the new kid on the block in our backline, and he was regularly targetted for his share of bumps and knocks, really physically tested. He has shown he quite likes it and is more than happy to respond with punishing body contact if need be. The opposition would be wary of his presence I reckon, but as yet, not of Sicilys. Has shown he has aggression, but hasn't had to deliver on it yet. Is it too late in the season to go making that sort of name for himself though?

Damn right he does, he's a little nugget Doc is.

PKNF

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How does he become a regular contributor, week in / week out?

He is fantastic when he gets a clear run at the contested mark, but only when he's unencumbered for 5m leading into it. Getting a clear run to drift across in front of a contest can only come 2/3 times a week at best.

He offers nothing when he doesn't have the ball. As a comparison, Hale was far better without the ball.

I don't see that Sicily becomes a consistent contributor. I don't see the tools for it.

I think we've gotta remember this is only his first full season at the top level. Teams have definitely worked him out but with the prospect of a key position sized forward (Vickery) to take some heat off and another preseason to hopefully add some more strings to his bow he might come good. Has genuine X factor and that's something worth persevering with.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
I think we've gotta remember this is only his first full season at the top level. Teams have definitely worked him out but with the prospect of a key position sized forward (Vickery) to take some heat off and another preseason to hopefully add some more strings to his bow he might come good. Has genuine X factor and that's something worth persevering with.

Seriously this. Cannot believe how quickly people are ready to turf Sicily and keep Burton. I'm sorry, but Sicily has legitimately stood up and won matches off his boot yet. Burton has not yet.

I don't say this to downrate Burton (he looks very promising), but seriously, Sicily looks so good in his first full season and he's young. Plenty to work with and an exciting prospect. Would be absolute madness to throw him away now with only better seasons to come.

He will continue to develop nicely and has shown far more than some of his forward companions, like TOB, who while showing glimpses, failed to be consistent or crash packs and clunk marks like Sic. Further, he's developing his wing/backline game and has shown good link up play in the latter part of the year too.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some of his field kicking is what has me excited. Along with his marking ability/potential plus goal kicking nous. 3 strings to the bow in season 1 so far.........
Agree, and he is quick. We haven't moved the ball through the midfield and into the F50 very well all season, improve here then Sic and our
other forwards can do more damage.

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seriously this. Cannot believe how quickly people are ready to turf Sicily and keep Burton. I'm sorry, but Sicily has legitimately stood up and won matches off his boot yet. Burton has not yet.

I don't say this to downrate Burton (he looks very promising), but seriously, Sicily looks so good in his first full season and he's young. Plenty to work with and an exciting prospect. Would be absolute madness to throw him away now with only better seasons to come.

He will continue to develop nicely and has shown far more than some of his forward companions, like TOB, who while showing glimpses, failed to be consistent or crash packs and clunk marks like Sic. Further, he's developing his wing/backline game and has shown good link up play in the latter part of the year too.
Burton will develop into a midfielder.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope that his similarities to Derm extend to his performance in his first final...

21c73e358e641e129904ffb76a2c1b40.jpg

Crazy to think that was Dermotts first game. Who debuts in a knock out final?? and then goes on to do that!?

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
If we can get the same output from Burton....I'd be more than happy!

Completely agree, I just don't think we should expect him to spend too much time in the midfield at the moment, bar some centre square appearances to give our usual suspects a short break. I wonder whether he could become the next half back general, Luke Hodge 2.0.

Sicily has kicked 30 goals this year, including bags of 5 and 4 against top end opposition (North, WC and Dogs).
Enormous effort for a first year and enormous talent. Don't know why anyone is critical.
That's great but those 12 goals in 3 games account for 41% of all his goals for the year.

In two-thirds of all his games he's kicked only 1 goal or less. 9 of them were goalless.

The chances that he steps up and kicks a bag this week are far lower than of him not kicking a goal at all. And the main issue people have with him is that if he's not kicking goals he's not doing much else. He might bob up for a memorable mark but we need more than that in a final.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Sicily has kicked 30 goals this year, including bags of 5 and 4 against top end opposition (North, WC and Dogs).
Enormous effort for a first year and enormous talent. Don't know why anyone is critical.

Yep, but you take out those two out and he has kicked 20 goals in 19 games:

upload_2016-9-7_19-52-42.png

Looking at the stas his last month or two have dried up a lot.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's great but those 12 goals in 3 games account for 41% of all his goals for the year.

In two-thirds of all his games he's kicked only 1 goal or less. 9 of them were goalless.

The chances that he steps up and kicks a bag this week are far lower than of him not kicking a goal at all. And the main issue people have with him is that if he's not kicking goals he's not doing much else. He might bob up for a memorable mark but we need more than that in a final.

Disagree. Clarko has played him purely down back a number of games, and some where he played everywhere on the ground including time back, wing and forward. For mine I thought he did ok.
That'll hurt those goals per game average too....;)

I also think he's a great relieving mark out of the back line kick offs, where his superior foot skills have allowed him to spot others further up the field or just switch play.

His numbers have gone down slowly over the second half of the year, but apart from a few games I feel he has still impacted the contest and games enough where you feel he has contributed. His flashes for mine are worth an entire game's worth of ho hum of JOR's for example.

But I like the kid, so I'm more glass half full on the guy that some others on here.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, but you take out those two out and he has kicked 20 goals in 19 games:

View attachment 286049

Looking at the stas his last month or two have dried up a lot.

Yup.
How would describe our ball movement the last two months....?
Do we often rip it out of the center bounce first and get it going to his advantage, or move it swiftly through a chain of disposals so that a team mate can run forward of center and actually hit him up or put it to advantage.

Or do we plonk plonk plonk along and boot it high on top of our forwards heads or over the back for Cyril/Poppy to run on to?

We've done Sic and Gunners zero favours second half of the season as far as how a forward would like to get their opportunities.

Back