Society/Culture This is straight out child abuse ("transgender" child)

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was 4 or 5 I used to love dressing up in women's clothes and play with makeup and nail polish. I found it fun to dress up play pretend.

My life would be a hell of a lot shitter if my parents and society tried to project something onto me for that, and tell me that I was something I wasnt.

But did you THINK you were actually a girl?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you had have asked me there would have been a chance I'd have said yes. I was 4. I was all sorts of things.

So all day everyday you thought and acted and lived as if you were female?

A female in what sense? A desire to resemble the most extreme characterisations of femininity does not make a female. Little boys wanting to be a Disney princess does not make them living and acting as a female, unless we're essentialising what it is to be a female.

Transgender children are not given hormone replacement therapy. Some are given totally reversible hormone blockers which temporarily delay the onset of puberty until the child is at an appropriate age to make an informed decision.

Gender reassignment surgery is not performed on children.

If any you have children or grandchildren about four or five ask them if they are a girl or boy I think you will be surprised that so many are very confident in what gender they are.

I am a post operative woman from a transgender background and I knew what gender I was at four years of age and it never changed. I have never been happier or more confident in my life since undergoing gender reassigned surgery 10 years ago.
This is a completely honest and genuine question that I have had for a while, and I apologise in advance if I am being ignorant.

How did you know what gender you were? I often hear of people who 'feel like' they are of a certain gender. I honestly do not know what that feeling actually could be. As a male, I do not 'feel like' a male. I feel like it is impossible for me to know what gender I 'feel like' as I am what I am, and have never felt what it is like to be someone else. In the same way, I would say it is impossible to know one is feeling hot weather unless one already knows what cold weather feels like.

Do I completely misunderstand your situation?

Lol how does a 4 year old kid act and live like a female? I collected and played with my little ponies (the ugly 80s versions) when my friends had ninja turtles. I loved care Bears and transformers scared me.

At 4, kids are just being kids. They are just having fun and don't understand concepts like gender or psychology, let alone dwell on it. At that age people are just projecting s**t onto them.

Lol how does a 4 year old kid act and live like a female? I collected and played with my little ponies (the ugly 80s versions) when my friends had ninja turtles. I loved care Bears and transformers scared me.

At 4, kids are just being kids. They are just having fun and don't understand concepts like gender or psychology, let alone dwell on it. At that age people are just projecting s**t onto them.
Kind of true at any age in regards to gender innit? What it's meant to mean to be a boy/man.

I think people are getting confused between transvestite (commonly referred to as a crossdresser) and transgender. The first is a choice to play the part of the opposite sex (eg a man wearing long haired wigs and dresses and makeup), whereas the second is someone who identifies as the opposite sex to which they were physically assigned. Vastly different concepts.

And I don't buy the argument that 4yos don't know what gender they are. I knew I was a boy at 4 and would've gotten angry if someone had suggested otherwise. You could go and ask any 4yo now and they'd be pretty certain of it too. So why do people question it when a 4yo girl identifies as a boy or vice versa?

What I do understand is that it's confronting because it challenges long-held norms about gender being binary and unalterable. But the more it's discussed, the less confronting it is and the more accepting society will become. Inarguably a positive thing!

Massive thanks to kirsti for coming into the thread with a really honest explanation that respectfully addressed the OP but clearly showed why outrage isn't the appropriate response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to be putting gender entirely in the bucket of what you consume.

"I like things advertised to girls." Instead of "I am a girl."

I think people are getting confused between transvestite (commonly referred to as a crossdresser) and transgender. The first is a choice to play the part of the opposite sex (eg a man wearing long haired wigs and dresses and makeup), whereas the second is someone who identifies as the opposite sex to which they were physically assigned. Vastly different concepts.

And I don't buy the argument that 4yos don't know what gender they are. I knew I was a boy at 4 and would've gotten angry if someone had suggested otherwise. You could go and ask any 4yo now and they'd be pretty certain of it too. So why do people question it when a 4yo girl identifies as a boy or vice versa?

What I do understand is that it's confronting because it challenges long-held norms about gender being binary and unalterable. But the more it's discussed, the less confronting it is and the more accepting society will become. Inarguably a positive thing!

Massive thanks to kirsti for coming into the thread with a really honest explanation that respectfully addressed the OP but clearly showed why outrage isn't the appropriate response.
But that's because ate age 4 you were a boy and people told you were a boy.

How do you identify as a girl at age 4 if you are a boy and people told you that you are a boy?

Last edited:
You seem to be putting gender entirely in the bucket of what you consume.

"I like things advertised to girls." Instead of "I am a girl."

No, you asked me if I lived life as a female at 4. I had no idea what you could have meant by that so I took a stab.

What makes a 4 year old a female?

No, you asked me if I lived life as a female at 4. I had no idea what you could have meant by that so I took a stab.

What makes a 4 year old a female?
Dunno - I'm not a child psychologist or educator.

But it seems inadequate to point to liking My Little Pony and sometimes dressing up like a girl.

Dunno - I'm not a child psychologist or educator.

But it seems inadequate to point to liking My Little Pony and sometimes dressing up like a girl.

Why did you give me criteria you can't even define?

My point is kids like what they like; they learn and imagine and play, and say all sorts of things they don't fully understand. The only reason why this kid knows what a transgender is because people are telling him what it is, and that he is one. No 4 year old has studied and understands gender theory.

If people told me I was a transgender when I was a kid, just because I pretended I was a girl, and seemingly acted like one, it would have ****ed up my development quite a bit. And confused me.

Hell, you can't even tell me what makes a four year old a female, yet this kid is supposed to know?

It's child abuse.

You could probably figure it out when you saw it. What you described doesn't seem to be it.

Some people seem to think they're going to cut this kids penis off before he is 6.

My point is kids like what they like; they learn and imagine and play, and say all sorts of things they don't fully understand. The only reason why this kid knows what a transgender is because people are telling him what it is, and that he is one. No 4 year old has studied and understands gender theory.

If people told me I was a transgender when I was a kid, just because I pretended I was a girl, and seemingly acted like one, it would have stuffed up my development quite a bit. And confused me.

Hell, you can't even tell me what makes a four year old a female, yet this kid is supposed to know?

It's child abuse.
Which personal pronoun did you prefer?

You could probably figure it out when you saw it. What you described doesn't seem to be it.

Some people seem to think they're going to cut this kids penis off before he is 6.
Why not do it then? The aim is to intervene before sex hormones kick in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back