List Mgmt. Morabito delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Inevitable after yet another injury setback. As much as it is a shame he never got himself right I thought his last game at Peel summed up his career pretty well.

Takes the kick-in and runs down field and launches a ball half way down the ground to Apeness, who then kicks to Yarran, who kicks a goal. Simply brilliant transition football that all started with Morabito's class. It was the play of the day imo. And then minutes later, his game is cut short by yet another frustrating leg-related injury.

Well there you go. At one stage thought we had a match winner to build around. A beast full of power and aggression. A booming kick full of speed, dishing out don't argues on his way to dominating the opposition. Such dust has that dream become.

Anyway, I am sure it is devestating for him that he could not forge the career that seemd to lie before him, and I wish him well for the future.

I'd like to say it's sad news but the sad news happened when he injured himself after a promising pre-season. After then he's never really looked like he'd make it back. I spent years dreaming of a fairy-tale comeback and for him to reach his potential but I guess somethings aren't meant to be.

This proves that it's what's inside that counts. From the outside his body looked like the pinnacle of human evolution.

I'll never forget his fantastic running goal in the 2010 elimination final. To think that he only played a handful of games afterward is sad..

So sad, but inevitable, the salt in the wound is that he will miss out on Peel's next few (hopefully) games. The saddest story in our clubs history, he & Fyfe at the end of 2010 would've been hard to separate in terms of who was more exciting or going to be better, Fyfe goes on to dominate and Mora does 3 knees then can't get his body right. F*** this game sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A shame for us and him; his power and nice foot skills could have given us the sort of player we never really had. Who knows how 2013 would have or could have been if he was never hit by those ACLs.

However, the club did really well to stick fat with Mora for so long. The writing was on the wall by ACL 2 and yet he got a few more contracts. There are worse ways for a club to deal with that sort of thing, and we could all see the inevitability of it.

As for Mora. Yes, he's an incredibly driven, tough, aspirational person and I'm sure this is a big knock to him, but he isn't dead. He may have some trouble walking and with his legs as the years go on, but his life in his early 20s was good. He played a few games in the AFL, probably owns his own home in a decent spot, and was basically paid to go gallivant all over Spain and Italy on the club's dollar a few years ago. The dude did well.

There are plenty of guys, at Freo or elsewhere, who play 20-odd games and are never ever thought of again. That, or people think 'thank *' when they're turfed. Anthony Morabito can know that he only played 20 games in the AFL, but everyone wanted him to play way more. I could think of worse legacies and situations.

So sad, but inevitable, the salt in the wound is that he will miss out on Peel's next few (hopefully) games. The saddest story in our clubs history, he & Fyfe at the end of 2010 would've been hard to separate in terms of who was more exciting or going to be better, Fyfe goes on to dominate and Mora does 3 knees then can't get his body right. F*** this game sometimes.
I'd probably say the saddest stories in our club history are the ones we don't know about, that or the death of a former player. FFS the kid made about $300,000 a year for six-odd years. He was paid to be hard-working, diligent, and tough – many people have to exert those traits for $18 an hour, or with kids and a mortgage. There are people with harder stories, worse things, this guy was a footballer and will now return to being a pretty healthy man – his knee is buggered but he's still fitter everywhere else than any of us would be.

It is a disappointment he couldn't be the player he should have become. But miracles don't really happen that much. It would be a joy if he was out there being an absolute machine for us, crashing packs and kicking goals like he did against the Hawks every weekend, but it wasn't to be and we move on. It's just footy. The bloke isn't dead.

I'd like to say it's sad news but the sad news happened when he injured himself after a promising pre-season. After then he's never really looked like he'd make it back. I spent years dreaming of a fairy-tale comeback and for him to reach his potential but I guess somethings aren't meant to be.

This proves that it's what's inside that counts. From the outside his body looked like the pinnacle of human evolution.
Perfect post. All that needs to be sad. Onward and upward. Mora goes into the rest of his life in better shape than 99% of other 24-year olds do.

Fair decision for everyone involved. The club's invested 6 years of care into him trying to get him right for AFL footy and he's invested 6 years of his life when he could've easily retired and gone off to pursue other interests. The latest injury (pretty damn significant one at that) is a completely understandable straw breaking the camel's back situation, if he hadn't already decided his time was up. If only Mora's body's physical capabilities matched his mental strength. Still amazing that he's fought back time and time again and picked himself up after each fresh setback.

Might not have kicked many goals or taken many marks but his influence around the club has undoubtedly been incredibly positive. Best of luck to the bloke :thumbsu:

Btw, that goal he kicked against Hawthorn was so good it made Malcolm Blight sound both coherent and entertaining...amazing stuff.

Sad news mate. I was always worried you would keep pushing yourself until you couldn't walk on your 30th birthday. What could have been is inconsequential. You worked your hardest for your journey so there can be no regrets .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back