Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't watch much footy with the old man and even less with the old lady but both came over to watch the game and they fell in love with lil Daniel. They would cheer extra hard for him and were full of praise. Dad was a Libba and Stringer fan but i think he has a new fav and that moment that Caleb ducked under the 2 Eagle players to set up the goal was amazing to see the joy in there faces.

Every time Caleb gets the ball you know something good is going to happen. Can't recall any occasion when he blindly slammed it onto his boot, like any other player under pressure would. So when he gets it 33 times like he did tonight, watch out!

Do they keep stats on how many times a player has a disposal that results in another effective disposal?

That is why he is such a valuable player. He doesn't just get rid of it, he improves the value of his team's possession of the footy every time he gets his hands on it.
So now I know the meaning of that term 'value added' used by all those economists. Obviously they are very observant watchers of the little man and have been inspired to coin the term as a mark of respect!

So now I know the meaning of that term 'value added' used by all those economists. Obviously they are very observant watchers of the little man and have been inspired to coin the term as a mark of respect!
Haha. Yes, that's the concept I had in mind when I posted that.

Other players get 25+disposals but even if they kick long they often just go down the line or to a pack of players so it's a 50-50 opportunity at best. With Daniel he nearly always creates an opportunity that's about 80-20 or 90-10 our way. And just as importantly he finds a player who has time to look for a target, have a shot or run forward.

Daniel can certainly kick long - his goal last night demonstrated that - but his real value comes through finding shorter options that help break open the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Daniel. Classic case of AFL recruiters looking at what a bloke can't do instead of what they can do. If not the best player of his draft year(prior to the draft) he was certainly in the top few. Come draft night he was overlooked 46 times before taken. Why-because he was short. Wonder how many blokes taken before him could not win the footy or kick the footy but could run fast and jump high.

Well done to your mob for getting him. He is an absolute ripper!

Caleb Daniel. Classic case of AFL recruiters looking at what a bloke can't do instead of what they can do. If not the best player of his draft year(prior to the draft) he was certainly in the top few. Come draft night he was overlooked 46 times before taken. Why-because he was short. Wonder how many blokes taken before him could not win the footy or kick the footy but could run fast and jump high.

Well done to your mob for getting him. He is an absolute ripper!

Last night was how he played in every game of his under 18 carnival too. Watching him play back then was a joy to behold and IMHO he was miles ahead of the rest. Imagine if he continues to improve his tank and strength!!!

Last night was how he played in every game of his under 18 carnival too. Watching him play back then was a joy to behold and IMHO he was miles ahead of the rest. Imagine if he continues to improve his tank and strength!!!

I watched one game in the carnival and IMO he was clearly BOG. Had everything except height. Should have gone alot earlier IMO

Draft watchers loved his carnival - rarely wasted a possession according to the watchers (the quote I remember is whenever he gets the ball, something good just happens).

He already has a great tank, up there with Hunter and Macrae.

Agree about his carnival, he was clearly a class above.

I reckon he is going to continue flying under the radar for a large portion of his career but you know what, I don't care at alll so long as he's ours. He can do things that no other player in the AFL can do.

No chance. People are taking notice and last night made him a household name. Ask any neutral and they all love the kid.

The other thing was with a rotation down he played without rest in the guts in the third. I think Hunter mentioned it and was in awe of the little mans huge tank.

Incredible.

Either equalled or is second in draft history for the beep test. So was already an endurance player when recruited.

No chance. People are taking notice and last night made him a household name. Ask any neutral and they all love the kid.

Yep and you can bet Scott and Clarkson noticed him. Will be sat on and bashed up next week.

there are a few players universally known and even fewer known and loved. He is both. He is nearly our most known and loved player across the football world. All my family love him. He is a marvel to behold. I hope he doesn't get a big head. ... well he would get his helmet on.

Yep and you can bet Scott and Clarkson noticed him. Will be sat on and bashed up next week.
They've got to catch him first - no mean feat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back