NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gee not bitter at all HSD... much. Take it as one that makes up for the number of times Aspley is mentioned as the club recruited from when a guy might have only played a year of footy at (or say 3 games a la Hipwood). Give the bloke a breakk ffs.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gee not bitter at all HSD... much. Take it as one that makes up for the number of times Aspley is mentioned as the club recruited from when a guy might have only played a year of footy at (or say 3 games a la Hipwood). Give the bloke a breakk ffs.

smy1305,

Judging from the earlier post, as I read into it, he got more of a break than most!!!!!!!!!!! This was just a comment about beginnings and recognising them.

He the player in question, as is all of our past players who have moved on, is a very well respected and loved and admired player and as a member of the club as he was coming up through the ranks at the Hornets and still is.

It isn't how far you get, but always where you come from in life that makes the person, there are a lot of blokes who have COME directly from ASPLEY and all other tier 1 AFL competition clubs, who are now in the AFL system regardless of how many games they played in that competition or at any particular club, that is the one thing about this the very underestimated NEAFL Competition that a lot of people cant still come to terms with, that due to these participating clubs, the NEAFL have given those Clubs that have stayed by and with them, the recognition as being as where these Northern States and Territory based players have COME from.

Being humble of your beginnings and the recognition shown for these opportunities given to you by strangers, who just do it for the benefit of any said player and also their clubs, is a big part of life - Unfortunately too many kids who make it go on to think they are bigger than being humble of this, do they just forget or are they just not taught this basic lesson in life. - It is a very easy thing to teach and absorb, its just simply called respect.

The ride on the way down IMO has always been quicker than that of the way up, so my advice has always been to all, don't forget your roots, no matter how high you think you are as you may need them again one day to soften the landing - Sooner than for most as history has shown!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A strong reaction SMY.

Two points:
1. How is Aspley's recognition any different to a TAC Cup club who have a player for a year? Seems to be the norm, not a special treatment for Aspley.
2. Re Hipwood, seems to be bad luck that you sign a player who is then dominated by the Lions Academy. The club had to virtually beg for Eric to be available for finals in 2015. Did so again this year with Allison and Watson - two home grown Hornets juniors - only to be told they weren't available AT ALL.

I suspect (but hope it isn't the case) that your shot on this point is about a little bitterness that you are carrying?? Could you actually have the same concern as HSD (eloquently elborated upon by billy) that origin clubs don't get enough recognition?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A strong reaction SMY.

Two points:
1. How is Aspley's recognition any different to a TAC Cup club who have a player for a year? Seems to be the norm, not a special treatment for Aspley.
2. Re Hipwood, seems to be bad luck that you sign a player who is then dominated by the Lions Academy. The club had to virtually beg for Eric to be available for finals in 2015. Did so again this year with Allison and Watson - two home grown Hornets juniors - only to be told they weren't available AT ALL.

I suspect (but hope it isn't the case) that your shot on this point is about a little bitterness that you are carrying?? Could you actually have the same concern as HSD (eloquently elborated upon by billy) that origin clubs don't get enough recognition?

Well for starters the TAC club invariably have them for a lot longer than a year. Try about 3 minimum. And then if it is for only a year, it is a lot longer than 3 games!

Yes I do think it is a shame that the local club where that bloke has spent the majority of their years is not recognised except for those over agers who get picked up at 22 or whatever it may be. I have no links with Caloundra fc at all. But this is the club that developed Eric, not Aspley. And yeah, if indeed Allison and Watson do get drafted then Aspley should be recognised.
But if either boy doesn't decide to bend over backwards for the hornets and wax lyrically about how they provided them with great opportunities etc then I wouldn't expect someone from the footy club to come on here and have a shot at them.. This is what is disappointing. Complete crap what HSD wrote.

James_

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably been mentioned so apologies for missing it but what's the best way to watch this game tomorrow?

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
A top-line grand final on Sunday with the two sides belting the crap out of each other, just like the senior teams did on Saturday afternoon. There was some extra spice to it all because senior recalls were on offer for those who stood out in the ressies.

I have to tell you all that our club teams would have been nowhere in a match like that....it was way, way, way too tough and skilful for even the best club team on their best day.
Worse, our clubs are never going to be that good; as i said last week, our best chance is if the Swans or Giants fall away.
A lot.

So, I fear that we are all going to be witches hats for the AFL teams, playing off in our own little repercharge mini-comp to see who can be best-of-the-rest.

But that doesn't diminish the sheer joy I get from seeing top-class footy being played at the local park, by famous footballers and coaches that I would otherwise only see on TV. For $10 with ample parking close to the gate, and plenty of seating and the chance to go out the huddles during the breaks..
Most of the senior Swans and Giants were there yesterday and the Giants brought out footies at halftime to play one-on-one kick-to-kick with the little kids, all dressed in their Giants colours.
That's a benefit that we wouldn't get if there was no NEAFL.

So, maybe the storyline of NEAFL is that our club teams get to play against the best AFL teams at one level, and against the best of their contemporaries on another level.
I'll go for that.

Last edited:

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You have a good handle on this comp Justa - you understand that the AFL clubs treat it as a production line, not overly fussed if they win it or not (as shown by both swans and giants resting top liners for next weeks selection) but happy if they do win it. And the benefit is to see a real real good standard of footy that Qldrs/Sydney siders are not used to with all the AFL attachments around it.
Sounds like the Giants are kicking a few goals in the PR department! Good on them. Must be easier when you can nearly go anywhere unnoticed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
You have a good handle on this comp Justa - you understand that the AFL clubs treat it as a production line, not overly fussed if they win it or not (as shown by both swans and giants resting top liners for next weeks selection) but happy if they do win it. And the benefit is to see a real real good standard of footy that Qldrs/Sydney siders are not used to with all the AFL attachments around it.
Sounds like the Giants are kicking a few goals in the PR department! Good on them. Must be easier when you can nearly go anywhere unnoticed!
I like your style SMY (which translates as "I like you because you agree with me !!).
Yes, they treat it as a production line - everything is geared towards supporting THE ONEs.
You learn a bit from a day like yesterday. Maybe 2000 people there, of whom 1900 were Swans supporters who had gotten out the SatNav to help them get across the bridge from Bondi to the dreaded 'Western Suburbs'. A pissy little Giants cheersquad of about three, desperately trying to get some 'crowd' action happening, but all they ended up doing was making themselves look very silly as the crowd failed to join in.
The GWS squad would start a 'chant' of three people, then the far more in-touch Swans fans (80% of the crowd) would start a competing chant which would drown out the Giants after about two chords. You go to an event like that as a Giants fan, and you look a bit of a loser.

For what it's worth, I was barracking for the Giants and I believe in what they're doing (you wouldn't know that from THIS post !) but the fact is that they don't seem to have penetrated into the GW of Sydney very much. They were supposed to be appealing to soccer fans, migrants, disenfranchisesd Swans supporters in that vast metropolis, but the reality is that they haved moved into the yuppy inner west rather than trying to tame the wild west. And yes, SMY, they can go anywhere they please without being noticed other than by celeb spotters like me.
Notable by his absence yesterday was Buddy - there would have been crowd control issues ala Dane Swan at Collingwood if Buddy had turned up.
GWS is going gangbusters of course but the truth is that no-one really cares.

I like your style SMY (which translates as "I like you because you agree with me !!).
Yes, they treat it as a production line - everything is geared towards supporting THE ONEs.
You learn a bit from a day like yesterday. Maybe 2000 people there, of whom 1900 were Swans supporters who had gotten out the SatNav to help them get across the bridge from Bondi to the dreaded 'Western Suburbs'. A pissy little Giants cheersquad of about three, desperately trying to get some 'crowd' action happening, but all they ended up doing was making themselves look very silly as the crowd failed to join in.
The GWS squad would start a 'chant' of three people, then the far more in-touch Swans fans (80% of the crowd) would start a competing chant which would drown out the Giants after about two chords. You go to an event like that as a Giants fan, and you look a bit of a loser.

For what it's worth, I was barracking for the Giants and I believe in what they're doing (you wouldn't know that from THIS post !) but the fact is that they don't seem to have penetrated into the GW of Sydney very much. They were supposed to be appealing to soccer fans, migrants, disenfranchisesd Swans supporters in that vast metropolis, but the reality is that they haved moved into the yuppy inner west rather than trying to tame the wild west. And yes, SMY, they can go anywhere they please without being noticed other than by celeb spotters like me.
Notable by his absence yesterday was Buddy - there would have been crowd control issues ala Dane Swan at Collingwood if Buddy had turned up.
GWS is going gangbusters of course but the truth is that no-one really cares.

I am struggling with your stated affiliation, I've gone back to the middle of last year and am struggling to find any real substance to the stated claim of supporting GWS

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah its going to be a battle out in the west JB but I think the AFL are a pretty determined mob. They understand that it will never be the sort of crowd that follows a Hawthorn or Collingwood or Essendon etc - that passion takes a few generations to develop but they do hope to be able to fill Spotless a few times each year (albeit that isnt that hard to do at 20000 or something like that). I think they will be happy if they can convert a few NRL people, be the winter team for the Wanderers supporters and get quite a few women along. No one cared about the Lions / Bears until they started winning premierships and at some point they will land a marquee player as well when they dispose of a few of their 1st rd picks from years gone by!!

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
I am struggling with your stated affiliation, I've gone back to the middle of last year and am struggling to find any real substance to the stated claim of supporting GWS
I can't remember the right words, but it's got something to do with bandwagons and jumping on - in fact, I've got one of each jersey either of which I wear to work according to who is going all right.
I just love AFL footy and I'm a bit of a tart who will go to watch anything AFL - when you're a lone wolf in Sydney (the only one on this forum indeed) then you get like that.
In fact, I'm like that with friends too - got a million of them who like me. My wife and kids already think I'm tragic. Perhaps they're right.

Last edited:

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
we did...it hasnt happened yet so i guess we'll see. i'm not entirely convinced he's the right bloke. he was a very good player, an essendon rookie, but has hamstring issues of late. if he's to be appointed as a playing coach he will be the only one in any 2nd tier competition in Australia!
he is also devoutly religious ....his privilege.... but will polarise a lot of current players. i also know several potential current ACT players who would hesitate to come across if he is employed.
still...he has done a good job at Queanbeyan in recent years so i guess we'll see!

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
A top-line grand final on Sunday with the two sides belting the crap out of each other, just like the senior teams did on Saturday afternoon. There was some extra spice to it all because senior recalls were on offer for those who stood out in the ressies.

I have to tell you all that our club teams would have been nowhere in a match like that....it was way, way, way too tough and skilful for even the best club team on their best day.
Worse, our clubs are never going to be that good; as i said last week, our best chance is if the Swans or Giants fall away.
A lot.

So, I fear that we are all going to be witches hats for the AFL teams, playing off in our own little repercharge mini-comp to see who can be best-of-the-rest.

But that doesn't diminish the sheer joy I get from seeing top-class footy being played at the local park, by famous footballers and coaches that I would otherwise only see on TV. For $10 with ample parking close to the gate, and plenty of seating and the chance to go out the huddles during the breaks..
Most of the senior Swans and Giants were there yesterday and the Giants brought out footies at halftime to play one-on-one kick-to-kick with the little kids, all dressed in their Giants colours.
That's a benefit that we wouldn't get if there was no NEAFL.

So, maybe the storyline of NEAFL is that our club teams get to play against the best AFL teams at one level, and against the best of their contemporaries on another level.
I'll go for that.

Justa,

No more compromises within the NEAFL - PLEASE.

Its up to the non AFL sides to get better and they can do this by attracting the better kids in their area's to their clubs and coaching them to play in this league. There are to many players playing in the NEAFL that are not up to it and yet they play year in and year out, these guys are keeping the youth that is needed out of this competition.

Aspley beat a Swans side, who had near the strength of this years grand final side a couple of years ago and they (the Swans) were very much miffed at this.

Well done to the Giants on claiming this years NEAFL G/F with an ex Mt Gravatt Junior Brad Miller as Coach - His old Man Nifty Miller, would I am sure be a bit miffed in him beating his old side and claiming the Giants first bit of silverware. The Swans will be furious once again in missing out in 2 from 2 in the revamped NEAFL - It was great to see an AFL side win it for a change this year, that's what the comp was set up for wasn't it????? I think some of the more powerful (Non AFL) sides will just get a little better next season and with that a little closer in fire power to a restricted 15 man AFL Side, the bigger clubs are out there recruiting already for this and this can only be a good thing for the NEAFL and also the AFL combined.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
I'm a bit sceptical BB, but I like what you're saying and I hope it works out like you say. It seems that the cummunity clubs are now locked into the NEAFL, after some of the not-so-sures have dropped out.
Bring it on !!

I see Alastair Clarkson saying today that the teams that win finals now will be the most ferocious ones - you could see that in the AFL finals last weekend and in the NEAFL GF on Sunday...it seems to be the way the game is going at this point.
And the challenge for the community clubs is going to be to upgrade the toughness to AFL reserves level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back