Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Do we push our luck one more year with SJ? He seems to fading as this year goes on, but will he lift as we go into finals? Will he fade quicker in 2017? No matter what, we will have him around the forward group as player or coach...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/7ad111fa2bc70db065c06826868b1baa

Fading as the year goes on? Kicked four the week before the bye with most of us giving him votes as being among the best in ground: 2:3 against Sydney on the back of 27 disposals (16 contested) on one foot in the game before that - ok so he wasn't great against the pies only managing the one goal and waaaay down on his usual output in terms of disposals and influence, but then again, not many of the team were particularly good yesterday.

One bad game (where he wasn't alone) to me is not "fading as the year goes on" just yet.

As to whether he plays on next year is for a decision much closer to the end of the season. If he continues as he is (yesterday notwithstanding) then I can't see why another year would be out of the question.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
Fading as the year goes on? Kicked four the week before the bye with most of us giving him votes as being among the best in ground: 2:3 against Sydney on the back of 27 disposals (16 contested) on one foot in the game before that - ok so he wasn't great against the pies only managing the one goal and waaaay down on his usual output in terms of disposals and influence, but then again, not many of the team were particularly good yesterday.

One bad game (where he wasn't alone) to me is not "fading as the year goes on" just yet.

As to whether he plays on next year is for a decision much closer to the end of the season. If he continues as he is (yesterday notwithstanding) then I can't see why another year would be out of the question.
I am not picking out individual games, and I am not not talking about form. It's his body I am referring to, so could have been clearer there. As champion he gets himself up for the big ones no doubt. I am not being critical of his year. Love what he has added to the team and club as a whole.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I am not picking out individual games, and I am not not talking about form. It's his body I am referring to, so could have been clearer there. As champion he gets himself up for the big ones no doubt. I am not being critical of his year. Love what he has added to the team and club as a whole.

Aahh ok, fair enough, that said he has only missed the one with a foot (the Essendon game) so, so far his body is seemingly holding up ok. But as I said, we'll know more towards the back end of the season.

That's why I was surprised Patfull was given an extension so early - I would have had them in the same boat - get to the end and see what body and form are doing and make a decision. Is it one year with the knowledge that it probably won't be the whole season - it's weird and I don't know why I would treat them differently but I do - I'd have Patfull playing a combination of seniors and NEAFL and I'd have Stevie J playing a combination of seniors and coaching - I wouldn't be playing Stevie in the NEAFL.

But I think it is way to early to call another year on Stevie J, but then I also think it's way to early to say this will definitely be his last.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I guess one thing to note, which perhaps the GWS list management staff have taken into account, is our existing list size being a range not a single number. Presuming that the TPP aspects can be managed, then having the two veterans on the list for a strong assault on finals/flag next year would be a fairly risk-free option - if either their bodies or their form fails, it has only cost $ not list size (at this point, presuming no change to the rules).

REDV_6

Rookie
Jul 27, 2013
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
GWS
You have to make the finals.... every round is as important as any other and the guy has kicked 30 goals and helped our young blokes.... keep him on another year and rest him if we have to next year. We need him for the finals... experience is invaluable

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Shoulder reco ends young Giant's season

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-...tion-ends-young-giant-caleb-marchbanks-season

Marchbank is still not contracted to the Giants beyond 2016 and may have played his last game for the club.

GWS selected the athletic defender with pick six in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft and he is seen as a key member of coach Leon Cameron's defence, but his name has been heavily linked with a move to Carlton next year.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
You have to make the finals.... every round is as important as any other and the guy has kicked 30 goals and helped our young blokes.... keep him on another year and rest him if we have to next year. We need him for the finals... experience is invaluable
I think it will depend on whether we chase a similar player who is a bit younger to replace him.SJ has been enormous in many ways but I think another year may be a stretch too far.If as Craig Cameron suggested we chase a small defensive forward eg a Breust type we may use SJ,Palmers and even Tomlinson contract to afford him.Just then front end his contract so it doesn't affect those coming out of contract at the end of 2017 and SJ moves into a coaching role.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pardon the intrusion, but is there any news on Rory Lobb's contract? Is he viewed as a 'must keep' out of the remaining out of contract guns at the Giants?

And what would it take to lure him elsewhere?

Cheers - and good luck for the rest of the year.

Jaffa Fan

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Pardon the intrusion, but is there any news on Rory Lobb's contract? Is he viewed as a 'must keep' out of the remaining out of contract guns at the Giants?

And what would it take to lure him elsewhere?

Cheers - and good luck for the rest of the year.
Contracted till 2017, best 22 and must keep. Also we are fine for Academy points for this year so two second rounds won't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Contracted till 2017, best 22 and must keep. Also we are fine for Academy points for this year so two second rounds won't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah right, thanks for correcting me re his contract. He's a ripper and I couldn't imagine you lot letting him go.

Cheers

peters17

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon Bombers, Gold Coast Suns
Oh god looking at all the players OOC after 2017 scares me. That is a big group all full of talent, holy moly I hope we can keep most of them.

Oh god looking at all the players OOC after 2017 scares me. That is a big group all full of talent, holy moly I hope we can keep most of them.
There's been a deliberate approach to timing around the TPP adjustments that really should have been known by now, unf the AFL and the AFLPA are not exactly singing in tune

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
What's happening with WHE guys? He looked like he could be anything but has drafted off the scene. I hear Collingwood want him but is he injured or just can't get a game because of form?

Thanks.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
What's happening with WHE guys? He looked like he could be anything but has drafted off the scene. I hear Collingwood want him but is he injured or just can't get a game because of form?

Thanks.
That kid is constantly injured. That is bad enough, but when competition for spots is hot, it makes it impossible to crack the team. If he can get his body right and string some games together, he is very capable of making any list.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Probably should be pointed out that Coniglio will become a free agent at the end of 2019 so there was probably incentive to re-sign for two more years. Fyfe did almost the exact same thing three years ago.

Wow. Did you not watch his press conference? Have you not followed his career here?

Giant for life my friend.

Back