Youf/Academy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

our youth league game streaming on uefa's channel. just scored a penalty to make it 1-0 after 5 mins. really strong team we've put out

2-0 now. dilrosun puts in a cross for nmecha. dilrosun and kongolo with the assists, nmecha with 2 goals. 10 mins gone. we're just so much quicker and technically sound.

nmecha then skies a 1 on 1. could've had a hat trick already. only chances gladbach are getting is from misplaced city passes. beyond that they're chasing at shadows.

duhaney gets a yellow card and he's extremely lucky it's just that. both players going for the ball, duhaney catches the ball but the studs go right into the poor gladbach players leg. potential leg breaker.

Last edited:
United U23's got the job done 1-0 against reigning Thursday night champs Villareal.

U18's won 5-3, setting up a bit of excitement at the upcoming derby. We are pretty handy going forward (15 goals in last 3 apps) but most of our good underage defenders have been pushed up to the U23's. Gomes and Boonen are on fire. Will be fun to see how it unfolds.

Doctor Gero go you pups jd2010

Thrashed your kids. Did you guys get a chance to see it? No idea who played for you guys or if you have any good kids.
Very weak side not too sure why. Unless a few are playing in the league cup. The whole back 4 and midfield are pretty young first year academy players. Don't recognise any names bar Edwards and Walker Peters.

Excited for the gillingham game should mean game time for Carter Vickers, Kaziah Sterling, Harrison, Onomah and Winks

Doctor Gero go you pups jd2010

Thrashed your kids. Did you guys get a chance to see it? No idea who played for you guys or if you have any good kids.
Not many of the regular U23/PL2 looked to be playing.
The THFC academy Twitter (not club affiliated) thought only 1-2 of that team could make the first team.

Striker Shayon Harrison was withdrawn to play league cup in midweek (Kane injury I suspect played a part). No Onomah, Will Miller, Winks, Carter-Vickers. So under strength, would also have to watch as they like testing them by playing them out of position from time to time.

It's not a great bunch once Winks, Onomah and CCV are excluded. Leaves an AM in Edwards and a ST Harrison and a lot that have no real prospects to get through. The rest that are maybes (Ball, Miller, and this winger that I can't think of his name) are out on loan

It's not a great bunch once Winks, Onomah and CCV are excluded. Leaves an AM in Edwards and a ST Harrison and a lot that have no real prospects to get through. The rest that are maybes (Ball, Miller, and this winger that I can't think of his name) are out on loan
Loans crush a lot of youth teams but Klopp doesnt really like the loan system. Guys like Woodburn, Wilson, Alexander Arnold, Lennon, Brannagan, Ejaria could easily be loaned out but Klopp prefers them at home. It strengthens our youth sides though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loans crush a lot of youth teams but Klopp doesnt really like the loan system. Guys like Woodburn, Wilson, Alexander Arnold, Lennon, Brannagan, Ejaria could easily be loaned out but Klopp prefers them at home. It strengthens our youth sides though.
Poch is similar. The guys on loan are the ones that most expect to be your Hull/WBA level at best. The ones kept behind are either planned to be in the first team squad within 12-18 months or around to make up the numbers

Poch is similar. The guys on loan are the ones that most expect to be your Hull/WBA level at best. The ones kept behind are either planned to be in the first team squad within 12-18 months or around to make up the numbers
Yeah I like that way of doing it. The guys you dont think will make to Liverpool level but can forge a career in lessor sides, loan them out and put them in the stop window. Guys you think have a chance of making the step up. Keep them around. Get them on the end of a bench every now and then, let them train with the first squad etc. It's good for them.

Particularly when they have seen others make the breakthrough like Sterling, Ibe and now Stewart and Ojo.

Yeah I like that way of doing it. The guys you dont think will make to Liverpool level but can forge a career in lessor sides, loan them out and put them in the stop window. Guys you think have a chance of making the step up. Keep them around. Get them on the end of a bench every now and then, let them train with the first squad etc. It's good for them.

Particularly when they have seen others make the breakthrough like Sterling, Ibe and now Stewart and Ojo.
I'm so annoyed our league cup game isn't shown this week. Really looking forward to seeing guys like Onomah and Winks who've been in the first team training but only had 15-20 minute cameos get their chance to start

Got a totally different opinion 9n loans. Apart from the few elite types I'd expect a loan or two before either pushing into the first team or moving on.

Problem a lot of clubs have is choosing bad loans.

Got a totally different opinion 9n loans. Apart from the few elite types I'd expect a loan or two before either pushing into the first team or moving on.

Problem a lot of clubs have is choosing bad loans.
Depends on the club. With Europa league more often than not a kid like Onomah can get 20 appearances last year without us really even noticing. With champions league and guys like Nolito Sterling KDB Sane etc. in front of him it'd be crazy to just keep them training and not playing.

Depends on the club. With Europa league more often than not a kid like Onomah can get 20 appearances last year without us really even noticing. With champions league and guys like Nolito Sterling KDB Sane etc. in front of him it'd be crazy to just keep them training and not playing.
Also the age. We've got Tosin Adarabioyo who might play half a dozen senior games. But he doesnt need more than that at this stage of his career. So best that he stays, trains with the first team, continues to develop in the youth teams with the occasional taste of senior football.

Couple of years, and he'll be ripe for a season out on loan where he'll play week in week out and learn different aspects of the game.

Also the age. We've got Tosin Adarabioyo who might play half a dozen senior games. But he doesnt need more than that at this stage of his career. So best that he stays, trains with the first team, continues to develop in the youth teams with the occasional taste of senior football.

Couple of years, and he'll be ripe for a season out on loan where he'll play week in week out and learn different aspects of the game.
I'm not against loans at all but I do like the way Klopp has approached it this season. We have loaned out players this season but I also think their is a huge advantage with having kids you think can make it in and around the first team. Just training with them, interacting with them, eating lunch with them. Klopp has brought the academy and first team together and I think that's great.

Just the small things you can learn from having lunch with Henderson as to how and what he eats to stay in great shape is vital for young pro's. I know each club also has nutritionist and things like that to teach the kids too.

But I do think you're right about clubs being flippant with loans. Oh he's a highly rated kid at Liverpool, of course he will play every game at a League One club. Off you go. You gotta look deeper than that. Is the club the right one for him, will he play, can he adapt to a more physical league. Now ive seen us with some loans put clauses in them where they play a certain % of games or the loan gets cancelled which i think is great.

depends on the manager.

kids would learn a lot more under progressive managers (pep, klopp, poch) than they ever would dropping down a division or two and playing in a totally different and counter productive system.

however.

for some, the opportunity to go out and play football in a decent league can be just what they need. for example enes unal at twente has i think 5 goals in 7 games or something. he'll learn a lot from this because he already has a lot of the characteristics pep wants in a striker.

in all, it's just a minefield of unpredictability that changes vastly from player to player and what level they're at. sure it would be great if, for example, adarabioyo went and got game time at a championship club or something. but what if they're s**t? what if he makes mistakes, or feels under pressure as a defender? it could completely destroy him.

depends on the manager.

kids would learn a lot more under progressive managers (pep, klopp, poch) than they ever would dropping down a division or two and playing in a totally different and counter productive system.

however.

for some, the opportunity to go out and play football in a decent league can be just what they need. for example enes unal at twente has i think 5 goals in 7 games or something. he'll learn a lot from this because he already has a lot of the characteristics pep wants in a striker.

in all, it's just a minefield of unpredictability that changes vastly from player to player and what level they're at. sure it would be great if, for example, adarabioyo went and got game time at a championship club or something. but what if they're s**t? what if he makes mistakes, or feels under pressure as a defender? it could completely destroy him.
Yep. Minefield is the perfect description. Sometimes loans can be counter productive. Like you said, a player could make a couple of mistakes, struggle to get into the side. Then his confidence is shattered when he returns to Liverpool and not being able to get a game for a League One side, then how does he feel about breaking through at Liverpool.

He can be set back months to even a year to rebuild confidence through another loan or maybe through the U23s etc.

Minefield indeed.

Article on Harry winks and Poch goes on to say how he doesn't want others coaching his best prospects and would rather them in that 18-21 age bracket stay with him and play 10-20 times for the season + youth football. Just because Kane worked with so many loans doesn't mean it always does. He'd definitely have hardened up from it all but can't say his days at Millwall or Leyton Orient would have been technically brilliant for his development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back