Toast Alex Pearce the defender

Remove this Banner Ad

See Collins as a third tall at afl level atm. Doesn't seem to have enough body strength or is it nous? to play on the key tall forwards yet. Has improved his kicking to advantage a fair bit though. Only makes the odd mistake now.

Geez, give Collins some time guys. If you are doubting him, I'd go back and watch his first few games. He was very very good. Given he dropped off in the last few rounds of the season and hasn't been as good at WAFL recently that points to his fitness. It's his first year as an AFL player, understandable he is still building his fitness even as a mature ager. I'm not saying he is going to be a super star key defender but it's premature to assess him either way.

Not sure if the super-fast-track learning in the AFL did much for his confidence either. Probably made him fatigued physically and mentally.

See Collins as a third tall at afl level atm. Doesn't seem to have enough body strength or is it nous? to play on the key tall forwards yet. Has improved his kicking to advantage a fair bit though. Only makes the odd mistake now.

Yeah that's my take on him at the moment. Did well with the intercept marking the last few AFL games but got a bit spanked one on one.

Obviously with A.Pearce, Dawson and Silvagni on the list you can ease him into it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Silvagni will get an extension?

I have no knowledge either way.

If it were up to me I would give him a year or two based off his play over the last few months. This draft does not appear to be one replete with KPDs in the later rounds. I think going into next year with Alex Pearce and two of Collins/Johnson/Silvagni/Dawson in the side (in that order) would be fine. Injuries will happen. I would look to not renew Dawson's contract after it ends next year.

Collins needs to find another gear or he's depth

Collins was a first year player who played at times was taking the oppositions best forward. He will prosper greatly from being second fiddle to A.Pearce and Johnson/Dawson/Silva. Collins to me seems like he will have brain fades and his moments but will be a very durable and honest defender. I reckon he could very well be a jet in 2 years time if he plays most games next season. Plus imagine if the other team didn't constantly just waltz out of the midfield and deliver it lace out to his opponent.

Collins will be very good player for us. Has been exceptional in his first year playing in a very poor team.

Don't tell me what to do fear mongerer.

Does anyone actually know how Pearce is going with his recovery? When's he due bqck in full training?
I'd imagine he would have another month off then return to pre-season training doing rehab, if he's not already doing so (swimming/physio behind closed doors). He's walking freely which is the main thing.

Collins will be very good player for us. Has been exceptional in his first year playing in a very poor team.

He's been OK.

Should be dominating at WAFL, and is not...serviceable - yes

Acknowledging it's not been an easy introduction, I stick to my nice start but he needs to (and should) be better in his 2nd year ....especially with MJ and AP back.

Collins, in his first year thrown to the wolves basically down back where he had to defend against a plethora of inside 50's has done an exceptional job imo. Another year or 2 in the system and he'll will only get better. Once our midifeld is back and firing and actually winning more out of the centre it will make his job far easier.

I'd say Collins' defending is satisfactory, it's his ball use that could be better. With Dawson, Ibgo and even Spurr and Sutcliffe now being below best in this department, we need quality ball users. Funny how this AP thread has morphed into an SC one....

He's been OK.

Should be dominating at WAFL, and is not...serviceable - yes

Acknowledging it's not been an easy introduction, I stick to my nice start but he needs to (and should) be better in his 2nd year ....especially with MJ and AP back.

and he will be

Collins, in his first year thrown to the wolves basically down back where he had to defend against a plethora of inside 50's has done an exceptional job imo. Another year or 2 in the system and he'll will only get better. Once our midifeld is back and firing and actually winning more out of the centre it will make his job far easier.

What about his WAFL form?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back