Giants Stadium

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/188deeb3113362865975987867d6d7ce

Sydney Thunder and GWS Giants join call for Spotless Stadium upgrade

Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
May 10, 2016 2:17pm
Subscriber only

SYDNEY Thunder and GWS Giants have joined the fight to turn Spotless Stadium into a 30,000-seat international arena that Western Sydney can really be proud of.

The not-for-profit Royal Agricultural Society wants to expand Spotless Stadium as part of a major redevelopment of Sydney Showground’s precincts, including two major new residential towers, an entertainment hub and a performing arts centre.

The precinct is worth more than $616 million to the economy and attracts 1.7 million visitors a year.

There was no money for Spotless in the Baird government’s recent $1.6 billion stadiums strategy — which will strip ANZ Stadium of its capacity to host cricket and AFL and leave its smaller neighbour as the West’s only major events oval.

There was no money for Spotless Stadium in the Baird government’s recent $1.6b stadium plan.
Around $20 million is needed for the Spotless expansion and the government is being lobbied for help.

“It’s a great stadium at the moment but the expanded grandstand could really put it up there with the best stadiums in Australia,” said Sydney Thunder general manager Nick Cummins.

NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley backed the revamp, saying it needs “significant investment by the government”.

When Sydney Showground Stadium, as it was first known, was built to accommodate the baseball at the Sydney Olympics, the original plan included grandstands right around the 24,000-seat arena.

But a funding shortfall meant the work wasn’t completed, leaving a gap at one end.

GWS Giants and Sydney Thunder both call the stadium home and have a growing number of fans.

Giants players train this week at Spotless. Picture : Gregg Porteous
“With ANZ Stadium being rectangularised we would like to have an oval stadium with more capacity in the West – Spotless is the logical choice,” GWS and SCG Trust chairman Tony Shepherd said.

“As the club gets bigger, the current size of the stadium will begin to become an issue for us.”

Western Sydney Wanderers will play the majority of their matches at Spotless Stadium next year as Parramatta Stadium is rebuilt. Australia is also due to host the T20 World Cup in 2020, with domestic fans of those of visiting teams spread right across the West.

The government is spending $1.6 billion turning ANZ Stadium into a rectangle arena, rebuilding of Parramatta Stadium and upgrading Moore Park’s Allianz Stadium.

Royal Agricultural Society boss Michael Kenny said the Spotless upgrade would be relatively simple and take only 10 months because no new foundations are needed.

A spokesman for Sports Minister Stuart Ayres said: “While Spotless Stadium is part of the 2012 Stadia strategy, it is not included in the current funding allocation.”

mikeg4

Debutant
Jun 16, 2016
Donvale
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys, on the bottom level how do the row letters work? There isnt enough rows for it to get to CC so im guessing it resets after the temp seats at the front?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Hey guys, on the bottom level how do the row letters work? There isnt enough rows for it to get to CC so im guessing it resets after the temp seats at the front?

Yeah, I think so. When the show is on you lose the front half dozen rows to give the Holden precision driving team and all the cows and horses more room. So I think that's where the double letters come in.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I'm sitting in Bay 417 in the Vincent Fairfax Stand behind the goals.
Anyone sat in there before and what is the view like.

Was up in there for a Thunder game last year. Good view (though given I was basically at square leg, not sure how it translates to AFL;))

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
spotless stadium seriously..wont be spotless when bulldogs raid the dump of a stadium..bulldogs vs afl back corrupt team.thats all it is....

I'm assuming that a few more of your supporters are actually house trained, so I actually don't have any concerns on the matter.

But thank you for helping to drag the reputation of your club into the sewer.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I'm sitting in Bay 417 in the Vincent Fairfax Stand behind the goals.
Anyone sat in there before and what is the view like.

Now, have a look at the response I got to the response I gave to you - throw in the crap we have received for answering questions about trains both here on this board and back on your own.

Can I ask - why on earth should we continue to be polite and answer any questions from supporters of your club?

I am seriously on the edge of telling the next person who asks a question to f#*k off - even if they are nice and polite - because the s#*t we receive for answering the question is just really not worth it.

Bokonon

Cancelled
May 3, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Now, have a look at the response I got to the response I gave to you - throw in the crap we have received for answering questions about trains both here on this board and back on your own.

Can I ask - why on earth should we continue to be polite and answer any questions from supporters of your club?

I am seriously on the edge of telling the next person who asks a question to f#*k off - even if they are nice and polite - because the s#*t we receive for answering the question is just really not worth it.
Sad, but I get how you feel. Less about what they post on their board for me thst's a matter for them. Way too much disrespect on ours.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
13,247 for the Wanderers first game in their new stadium, coming off a great away win in Adelaide over last year's premier.

That put the crowd behind 3 Sydney, 2 Hawthorn, a Collingwood and a Bulldogs game for us.

And from what I saw, no flares, though a few bottles and rubbish thrown by the RBB into the area behind the goals after Newcastle tied it up with a couple of minutes on the clock.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
----------------

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/a0a7c84571f6e7f5d3dd55ffd101ad63

The Giants will soon return to their Spotless Stadium home after several games at Canberra’s Manuka Oval.

GWS chief executive David Matthews said the club was keen to increase its capacity from 25,000 to 30,000 in coming years.

The ground is also shared with the Western Sydney Wanderers while their oval is developed and used by BBL team Sydney Thunder.

“In a short space of time we are going to be needing to upgrade Spotless and get a bigger capacity there,’’ he said.

“It is 25,000 capacity and the next stage would go to 30,000. We have 2.2 million people in western Sydney and we are planning around the Geelong model.

“We are keeping an interest in how Geelong has added seasons to Simonds Stadium.”

-------------------

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GuzzLG

Brownlow Medallist
May 30, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry to intrude guys. I'm looking to head to the gws vs bombers game in early June and flying out at around 10pm that evening.

Hoping to catch a taxi straight from the ground. Does anyone know what the cab situation is like. Are there plenty of cabs available after a match. Would I be stuck in traffic after if I take a cab?

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry to intrude guys. I'm looking to head to the gws vs bombers game in early June and flying out at around 10pm that evening.

Hoping to catch a taxi straight from the ground. Does anyone know what the cab situation is like. Are there plenty of cabs available after a match. Would I be stuck in traffic after if I take a cab?
Ample time I would have thought to get to the Airport. I often see cabs near the rank at Olympic Park station idle after the game and not much if a crowd waiting, traffic on a Saturday night around 7.30 wouldn't be heavy and you'd probably be at Mascot around 8pm. You could catch a train to the Airport via Lidcombe , change at central and be there by 9pm easily though. Google nsw trip planner and it gives you stations platforms etc. You can also call 131500 and tell them what you need and they'll give you a route.

GuzzLG

Brownlow Medallist
May 30, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Thank for your help guys. I thought about the train but I might need to swing past my hotel in the cbd to pick up some luggage and work might help with cab charges so a taxi would be convenient.

Back