Night Grand Final

Would you prefer a later/night GF?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you prefer if the game was played later in the day at either night or twilight or just happy with the way it is? It's surely not a matter of if the AFL makes it happen, but when. Personally living in WA I hate it starting just past noon.

The missus normally organises stuff for the evening or late afternoon.

It will change. The NRL Grand Final has more viewers than the AFL Grand Final solely because of the timeslot. Prime time viewing is a more valuable commodity than 2.30 Saturday Afternoon. (Regular season games are whipped by the AFL).

When the "tradition" started shops closed at noon on Saturday. With the move to longer trading hours the amount of people who are shut out of watching the GF increases every year.

Should and will change.

I like the idea of a 5.40pm est start time (like WA's Sat night games) so the game starts at 3.40pm over here.
It will change. The NRL Grand Final has more viewers than the AFL Grand Final solely because of the timeslot. Prime time viewing is a more valuable commodity than 2.30 Saturday Afternoon. (Regular season games are whipped by the AFL).

When the "tradition" started shops closed at noon on Saturday. With the move to longer trading hours the amount of people who are shut out of watching the GF increases every year.

Should and will change.
Yep, a lot of people these days have to work on Saturdays.

I think it will be one of those things that when announced all the 'traditionalists' will kick up a big stink about, but after a couple of years less and less will be bothered by it. Then in the years afterwards people will wonder why the hell the AFL took so long to try it out in the first place.

Should and will change.

If the public choose to go shopping instead of watching the footy then they are really not that interested and will find another excuse not to watch the night final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bothered.

I'm going to be well and truly drunk by 7pm.

On SM-A300Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remember alcohol is a social vehicle with unsocial outcomes.

You guys need to understand that there is more to life than just numbing your senses with grog.

Please listen to me when I say that alcohol may appear to be the answer or at a minimum a supporting social partner of many, many significant cultural events but it is not the total answer.

That's why I'll enjoy a beer on GF day but will not forget to smoke a bong too.

It's about balance.

That's why I'll enjoy a beer on GF day but will not forget to smoke a bong too.

It's about balance.

I haven't smoked in many years but watching footy was the worst thing to do on it for mine. After a while you start to think wtf are all those guys out there doing out there, this silly game doesn't even really make any sense!

leave it as it is, if people wanted to be watching the grand final they would watch it whether its at midnight 2pm or 740 at night, footy is played best in the daytime and it finishes not long before sunset anyway so the fireworks show can start with the presenting of the team with the premiership cup. Why change something that aint broke

Back