Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Knights and Brad Scott look nothing alike!!!
See how I clicked like on your post? That was an attempt to cover that I didn't get you and had to google and all (must learn more VFL coaches...)

This may have already been covered in the thread.

In the 2007 Grand Final, Geelong scored 163. Our previous premiership was in '63.

Port scored 44. Geelongs premiership drought was 44 years.
We kicked 24.19.163.

The two who had played the most games in 2007 but missed the grand final were:

#24 Mark Blake
#19 Matthew Egan

This may have already been covered in the thread.

In the 2007 Grand Final, Geelong scored 163. Our previous premiership was in '63.

Port scored 44. Geelongs premiership drought was 44 years.

thanks for bringing that memory up

what a wonderful way to start the day

thanks for bringing that memory up

what a wonderful way to start the day
Ha sorry mate!

Side note - the nicest opposition fan I have ever met sat next to me at that game. He was as almost as happy for us as he was sad for himself. Have always liked power fans since then (albeit have never been to a game in Adelaide!!)

In the 1980s, WA tycoon Alan Bond put the port city of Fremantle on the international stage thanks to winning the 1983 America's Cup. Also during the 1980s, Bond Corporation was Richmond's major sponsor.

So it is something of an eerie coincidence that on the day Alan Bond has died (Friday 05/06/2015), Fremantle are playing Richmond at Subiaco Oval.

Side note - the nicest opposition fan I have ever met sat next to me at that game. He was as almost as happy for us as he was sad for himself. Have always liked power fans since then (albeit have never been to a game in Adelaide!!)
When it's very clear very early that it's not going to be your day, you either get angry or laugh and go with it.

There are five father sons of ex Collingwood players who are playing for teams other than Collingwood.

Rhyce Shaw
Heath Shaw
Liam Picken
Jake Kelly
James Stewart
This is a bit belated but I only just noticed this fascinating thread!:-

Also Teia Miles (Geoff Miles), Tom Mitchell (Barry Mitchell), Steven Morris (Kevin Morris) and Ty Vickery (John Vickery). Like (the aforementioned) Browne and Raines, none of them were Father-Son eligible (for Collingwood).

Last edited:
crows related one..

our first ever game where football park was the crows home ground, the crows won by 86 points. the final game where football park was the crows home ground (against west coast at subi), the margin was also 86 points

Orazio Fantasia is the first ever player to play in all 3 possible results with his first 3 games.

Orazio is a multifunctional robotic vacuum cleaner manufactured by the Italian Zucchetti Group, which both vacuums, cleans and polishes floors. The group had been established for 3 years before they released the Orazio.

Backing up my amazing Orazio stat before. There are more Orazios' in the AFL than there are Johns'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last meaningful action/infringement of the 2016 AFL grand final - a player called McLean is taken by a head high tackle

First meaningful action/infringement of the 2016 NRL grand final - a player called McLean is taken by a head high tackle

I would go for

EPL - Leicester city win first title despite all odds
NBA - Cleveland win after coming back 3-0 in the finals and first title for that city in 50ish years
AFL - Dogs win flag after 60 years of pain and beating the odds
Nrl - can the sharks win their first title

2016 is year of the underdog

In 2004, Hawthorn finished 15th. In 2013, Bulldogs finished 15th.
In 2005, Hawthorn finished 14th. In 2014, Bulldogs finished 14th.
In 2006, Hawthorn finished 11th. In 2015, Bulldogs will finish 11th.
In 2007, Hawthorn made a Semi. In 2016, Bulldogs will make a Semi.
In 2008, Hawthorn were premiers. In 2017, Bulldogs will be premiers.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but if we finish 11th this year, I just may be on to something. ;)

Missed it by "that" much.....

For a brief moment in the Grand Final, the scores were Swans 54 - 61 Western Bulldogs.

In the prelim final VFL, Footscray v Collingwood, at one point scores were 154 - 54

I would go for

EPL - Leicester city win first title despite all odds
NBA - Cleveland win after coming back 3-0 in the finals and first title for that city in 50ish years
AFL - Dogs win flag after 60 years of pain and beating the odds
Nrl - can the sharks win their first title

2016 is year of the underdog
Also add in...

NFL - Denver breaking 17-year Superbowl drought
Tennis - Djokovic breaking his French Open drought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back