Low content, random news, off topic

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I just signed up for Poker Stars having recently re-ignited my interest in poker. I used to play a bit a few years back but then lost interest. I've only deposited a small amount to start with, so I'm playing micro limits but it's pretty good.

What's the go with all these free rolls and giveaway tournaments? I've won quite a few entries by completing these challenges. Kinda sucks that they're all scheduled for during the night, even some of the low level (ie monthly Bronze) ones have a decent prize pool. Should I be annoyed that I will probably never play in them (to due the scheduled times) or are these just a massive crap shoot?

So, I just signed up for Poker Stars having recently re-ignited my interest in poker. I used to play a bit a few years back but then lost interest. I've only deposited a small amount to start with, so I'm playing micro limits but it's pretty good.

What's the go with all these free rolls and giveaway tournaments? I've won quite a few entries by completing these challenges. Kinda sucks that they're all scheduled for during the night, even some of the low level (ie monthly Bronze) ones have a decent prize pool. Should I be annoyed that I will probably never play in them (to due the scheduled times) or are these just a massive crap shoot?

I wouldn't worry about them at all, they have massive fields and the payouts are tiny

They are crap shoots as you put them

AA in the small blind at crown 5/5 against good aggressive reg.

$1k effective stacks.

he raises to 25, button calls, we make it 100. He calls, button folds.

flop q 10x 4x. We bet $145. He calls.

Turn is an off suit k.

We do what? With a plan to do what? We have Ax.

Bet, kq, kt, and AJ are part of his calling range, but so is AK, JK, AQ, AT. If he is aggressive you can probably remove kk and qq from his 3betting range. You maybe able to remove flush draws from his range of hands because lots of flush draws on this board also make gutterballs and some pair plus flushdraws. These hands would probably raise the flop. Also if you are behind and he calls, you have a few outs. I would consider bet folding. I would probably bet about 290 maybe even more because the K is a card that gives him alot of pairs + straight draws that won't fold with 1 card to come, so this is the street where you have to extract the most value from the hand.

You did not include where he raised from, as this is hugely effects his opening range.

Just re-posting a quote I like from Jennifer Harman, and one I originally posted here in 2007. It was in response to a question about losing $100,000 in a single cash session:

"You don't even think about it. But you know, it's hard getting to this frame of mind, believe me ...
The first time I lost $3,000, I went home and cried like a baby.
When I lost $10,000, same thing.
When I lost $30,000, I couldn't sleep for four days.
When I lost $100,000, for the first time in my life, I couldn't sleep for a week.
But then, the next time I lost $100,000, and the next time I lost $100,000,
you know, it's like your pain threshold just goes up.
" - Jennifer Harman

Last edited:
Dont know if it just me but i get more pissed off about the circumstances that lost me the pot rather than the pot value.

By that i mean if i play a hand badly or i get brutally sucked out on. That s**t keeps me up at night (can say that i have never cried tho).

The monetary value is insignificant to me, biggest pot ive lost online is 15K when i took my shots at some bigger games. AA vs QQ 5 handed, got it in pre, shrugged my shoulders, what can you do?

Ive thrown mouses, kicked chairs, mumbled swear words at myself for an hour over $50 pots that ive lost plenty of times though. :D

As i get cut down in my prime and limp into the money thanks to this hand, FML, card dead after losing a pot like that of course, nh mate, very well played:

Full Tilt Poker Game #36323821024: FTOPS Event #8 (308175494), Table 1 - NL Hold'em - 300/600 Ante 75 - 10:05:48 AEST - 2016/02/25 [18:05:48 ET - 2016/02/24]
Seat 1: Jerkymejsen (22,270)
Seat 2: 1sicktriso (20,297)
Seat 3: CrazySezya (12,200)
Seat 4: AndyHoo88 (9,000)
Seat 5: mendezoo (16,285)
Seat 6: a1ldatp0w3r (22,044)
Seat 7: THAY3R (3,550)
Seat 8: arko56 (44,630)
Seat 9: Tedson (16,650)
Jerkymejsen antes 75
1sicktriso antes 75
CrazySezya antes 75
AndyHoo88 antes 75
mendezoo antes 75
a1ldatp0w3r antes 75
THAY3R antes 75
arko56 antes 75
Tedson antes 75
1sicktriso posts the small blind of 300
CrazySezya posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to a1ldatp0w3r [Kh Ah]
AndyHoo88 has 15 seconds left to act
AndyHoo88 raises to 1,200
mendezoo folds
a1ldatp0w3r has 15 seconds left to act
a1ldatp0w3r raises to 3,600
THAY3R has 15 seconds left to act
THAY3R folds
arko56 folds
Tedson has 15 seconds left to act
Tedson folds
Jerkymejsen folds
1sicktriso folds
CrazySezya folds
AndyHoo88 calls 2,400
*** FLOP *** [5h 2s 8d] (Total Pot: 8,775, 2 Players)
AndyHoo88 bets 5,325, and is all in
a1ldatp0w3r calls 5,325
AndyHoo88 shows [9c Tc]
a1ldatp0w3r shows [Kh Ah]
*** TURN *** [5h 2s 8d] [9h] (Total Pot: 19,425, 2 Players, 1 All-In)
*** RIVER *** [5h 2s 8d 9h] [Qd] (Total Pot: 19,425, 2 Players, 1 All-In)
AndyHoo88 shows a pair of Nines
a1ldatp0w3r shows Ace King high
AndyHoo88 wins the pot (19,425) with a pair of Nines
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 19,425 | Rake 0
Board: [5h 2s 8d 9h Qd]
Seat 1: Jerkymejsen (button) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: 1sicktriso (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: CrazySezya (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: AndyHoo88 showed [9c Tc] and won (19,425) with a pair of Nines
Seat 5: mendezoo folded before the Flop
Seat 6: a1ldatp0w3r showed [Kh Ah] and lost with Ace King high
Seat 7: THAY3R folded before the Flop
Seat 8: arko56 folded before the Flop
Seat 9: Tedson folded before the Flop

Last edited:
I went to withdraw $651US from PS & that works out to be $844AUD but according to PS that is $811AUD
I know they charge for conversion now, 2.5% I believe so
Any reason why it might be double or has that charge gone up?

I went to withdraw $651US from PS & that works out to be $844AUD but according to PS that is $811AUD
I know they charge for conversion now, 2.5% I believe so
Any reason why it might be double or has that charge gone up?
Remember the US$651 >> AU$844 conversion reflects the mid-market rate only (in this instance, approx. 77c US). I am assuming, similar to the banks, the actual conversion rate they use is > 77c (meaning less AU$ for you).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never heard this term before: upstuck

During a cash game when you are up but not at your peak stack, you are upstuck until you can get back to your peak again.

Was thinking the other day, if you were to say that poker was an intellectual pursuit, which academic subjects is it like?

I'm thinking Mathematics, Psychology, Sociology, Probability*, Decision Making*, Game Theory* - (*Tertiary subjects)

Can you think of others?

I have an honours degree in sociology, mainly on the theory side: not sure how much of learning sociology really applies to poker, unless its the ability to make sense of a lot of information in a short space of time. The stuff from sociology that might be applicable is possibly in the area of microsociology - ie how people interact in day to day situations, authors like Simmel and Erving Goffman, but 99% of that is more just interesting background stuff.

I think Maths, probability and to a lesser extent game theory are way more applicable to the game, as you've already mentioned; game theory is something I've come across quite frequently in philosophy and a lot of ideas that are found in psych and sociology tend to come from philosophy. If I was starting an undergrad degree in poker I'd be including some basic philosophy subjects just because it gives you a deeper ability to solve problems.

Actually the latest character in the WSOP coverage, Kassouf, is an interesting psychological study; seems to look at the game as a "psychological war" and this view worked for him in the coverage shown so far.

And Kassouf has a law degree, so he's clearly not a random flog. I think he goes too far at times though.

He'd be a lot more tolerable if he could STFU when action is on his opponent and stop with the tank-folding junk when everyone knows he's opening light.

Actually your post the other day r+b has made me think of some of the more mental aspects of the game. One of the things I look out for if I'm playing against people who I don't know is if they start talking about what their "favourite hand/s" is/are. Basically if someone says their favourite hand is K10/64 or whatever, I immediately classify them as a fish and a good target. If someone turns up with some screwy hand that makes no sense and is shown-down I ask them "favourite hand?" and depending on their response adjust my play accordingly. I think I posted some info about the last event I played at Crown and on one table I was at there was a discussion about favourite hands; the players that had them were playing too many hands, calling a ton of flops and folding turns etc and just leaking chips like no ones business. Of course if your favourite hand is AA, that's a different story!

Its also interesting to look out for other players who are testing you to judge what your ability level is: when I played the WSOP main the names of the players at the table could be viewed electronically; so you'd see almost everyone at the start of the day on their phones looking up Hendon or Pocket 5's/OPR to check their live results/online-names/online results. So already they have an idea of where you are at; when I got to my day one table the player next to me, after asking me where I was from asked me about if I'd played the Aussie Millions Main. He already knew I hadn't but was already gaming me before the cards were in the air (tbh I should have told him yes!), and actually he was an interesting case - he dominated the table, very good player, but it was obvious one of his things was he had to be "one step ahead" of every other player and put them, at least in his own mind, as inferior to himself, and he had to let the other players know it. So when, for example, I called off with TP/TK vs a flop shove for a third of my stack and ran into a set he turned to me and said: "I folded a king!" (which I called with to the the flop shove and tbh I thought he was BSing). Another hand he 6 bet pre with 87o, got the 5 bettor to fold, then showed the only time the whole day, as if to say to the other player: "give it up! I've got you worked out buddy!"

I'm not sure what that means in terms of playing vs unknown players - but its clear he, and someone like a Kassouf, are pulling these mind-games constantly in order to progress themselves further in tournaments, players like DNegs also do this sort of stuff and its obviously works for him vs less-reggy fields. The player at the Vegas Main I described has gone deep a few times at that event so whatever he's doing seems to be working for him just on the basis of that small sample size.

Jack Effel really did not know how to under the Kasouf problem, he was tanking a lot so he wasn't really liked at all, and Jack was just changing and making up rules to stop him talking, he was facing a decision and he was told he can't talk?? jack was all over the place with the rules and the non relevent one player per hand rule. and the whole table ganging up in him has got to be taken more seriously than some tanking and table talk. they called him a clown and making fun of the stakes he plays

Remove this Banner Ad

Back