Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for 5 rounds but was entertaining. Brooks is tough man. A suspected broken eye socket for Brooks. GGG is like a great white when you give him the slightest idea that you are hurt...relentless at times but also...some flaws in the GGG game may of been found out

Went for 5 rounds but was entertaining. Brooks is tough man. A suspected broken eye socket for Brooks. GGG is like a great white when you give him the slightest idea that you are hurt...relentless at times but also...some flaws in the GGG game may of been found out

Golovkins run is reminding me of young Tyson's undefeated run. When Golovkin loses eventually it's going to be massive

Golovkin/Brook was awesome. I don't follow boxing that closely, but from what I've seen it looks like a lot of guys are avoiding Golovkin. Brook went up 2 weight classes to fight him. Huge respect for that. And he was really taking it to Golovkin too.

Good decision by Brook's corner to stop it. He might have survived for quite a while longer, but the writing was on the wall. It was a matter of time before Golovkin stopped him.

Yep, Brook is a man for jumping that much weight to challenge Golovkin. I can't see anyone beating Golovkin soon. Canelo Alvarez is the biggest fight out there for Golovkin.... but Alvarez handlers are stalling on that. Next to that would be a match up with Cotto. I fantasise about mayweather coming out of retirement and fighting Golovkin, but won't happen!

How does everyone think a Golovkin/Alvarez fight would go?

They say you are only as good as your last fight. I watched Alvarez take a few years of Khans life and watched the GGG fight today...I reckon Alvarez has the power and the ability to Ko GGG. The HBO commentary kept saying that GGG rarely moves his head off the line and Alvarez would invite that I think. Would be interesting to see who would be the most aggressive fighter...both like to stalk.

Golovkins run is reminding me of young Tyson's undefeated run. When Golovkin loses eventually it's going to be massive
GGG is a machine but with flaws.

For all the hype surrounding him I definitely don't see him going undefeated if he fought any of Mike Macallum, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubanks or especially Roy Jones when they were in their 160 pound pomp. And that's not even mentioning the Haglers, Monzons, or Robinsons of this world.

What he is is a damn good fighter and tremendous puncher ruling over a bog ordinary division at present, much like Tyson actually. He is very exciting to watch, a brilliant attacking force, iron chinned, but hittable which makes him all the better to view.

He's certainly beatable but it will take a massive effort and a top, top fighter to do it.

GGG is a machine but with flaws.

For all the hype surrounding him I definitely don't see him going undefeated if he fought any of Mike Macallum, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubanks or especially Roy Jones when they were in their 160 pound pomp. And that's not even mentioning the Haglers, Monzons, or Robinsons of this world.

What he is is a damn good fighter and tremendous puncher ruling over a bog ordinary division at present, much like Tyson actually. He is very exciting to watch, a brilliant attacking force, iron chinned, but hittable which makes him all the better to view.

He's certainly beatable but it will take a massive effort and a top, top fighter to do it.

Agreed... in a different era he wouldn't be so dominant. He's yet to beat a big name, but has made his name out of impressively beating real solid fighters like geale, Murray, Macklin, rubio... and seemed to withstand very well the few big right hands that Lemieux connected on him

Maybe the upset might come from someone like Daniel Jacobs? Otherwise i don't see many names beating him in the next couple of years. Looking forward to golovkin vs alvarez when it does happen probably mid next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pac Man just bitter at Floyd or only creating some publicity for his own upcoming fight..?

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweathers-only-concern-is-money/

Probably a bit of both. And Jessie Vargas is a weak fight on paper and probably therefore pay per views so pacman could probably do with keeping the intrigue of a mayweather rematch alive to sell tix for this one. If not for a rematch with Floyd, then I can't see why pacman is fighting on still? A catchweight fight with Canelo Alvarez??

Daniel Geale had a shock loss to a local fighter on the weekend. Time to hang up the gloves. Had a very good career though and seems like a decent bloke as well.

Jeff Horn might be the Aussie to watch now

I think Geale was overrated. I don't think Mundine was all he was cranked up to be either. Australia just got sucked in a bit. We haven't had much in a while. I would class Green as just slightly ahead of Mundine and Geale. Green didn't beat Mundine due to weight in 2006. That being said, neither are absolute top level. We seen Geale against Golovkin, and he bottled it. He could've got up - but didn't. Lost me after that. So who do we have on the radar? For Australia, I always thought Paul Fleming would make it. His career has stagnated a bit in recent years, but he is undefeated, does show a lot of potental - and has a lot of talent. Needs to step it up though. Is very capable. Another is Rocky Jerkic. He is a better version of Mundine IMO. Should go places. How far is up to him. I also like Dwight Richie (the fighting cowboy). But there are also plenty of others. I think in the next decade we will see a resurgence in Oz boxing. Plenty of talent. Kosta's young bloke is going pro as well.

That clown defeated a champion who had reigned for 10 years. He defeated an all time great. He defeated a guy who looked as though he was invincible. Furthermore, he did it with relative ease. Tyson Fury beat Klitschko to the point where the champ was too afraid to even throw back. That is the thing about boxing, we can see some fighters are less than exemplary outside of the ring, but inside that squared circled they are still masterful operators.

That clown defeated a champion who had reigned for 10 years. He defeated an all time great. He defeated a guy who looked as though he was invincible. Furthermore, he did it with relative ease. Tyson Fury beat Klitschko to the point where the champ was too afraid to even throw back. That is the thing about boxing, we can see some fighters are less than exemplary outside of the ring, but inside that squared circled they are still masterful operators.
And then he got done for drugs so posted a picture of himself as Tony Montana. :tonguewink:

Such a clown...

And then he got done for drugs and posted a picture of himself as Tony Montana. :tonguewink:

Such a clown...

Agree he is a clown. Mayweather is a clown, Tyson was a clown - and convicted rapist. Del La Hoya was a trans who snorted lines - among other substance abuse problems. Ray Robinson and Monzon were women beaters (among a whole long list of other boxers). Mosley, Toney, Holyfield, Jones jr were all guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs. Valero killed his wife and then himself. And Tyson Fury. He briefly dabbled in coke and posted a picture of himself as Tony Montana. Let's hang him?

Agree he is a clown. Mayweather is a clown, Tyson was a clown - and convicted rapist. Del La Hoya was a trans woman who snorted lines - among other substance abuse problems. Ray Robinson and Monzon were women beaters (among a whole long list of other boxers). Mosley, Toney, Holyfield, Jones jr were all guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs. Valero killed his wife and then himself. And Tyson Fury. He briefly dabbled in coke and posted a picture of himself as Tony Montana. Let's hang him?
Whoah put your pitchfork away man. The guy is clearly a fool.

Should rename himself as 'Krusty Fury' for even more lulz as thats all he seems to be after. :drunk:

Probably a bit of both. And Jessie Vargas is a weak fight on paper and probably therefore pay per views so pacman could probably do with keeping the intrigue of a mayweather rematch alive to sell tix for this one. If not for a rematch with Floyd, then I can't see why pacman is fighting on still? A catchweight fight with Canelo Alvarez??

I think he is fighting on because the competition at welterweight isn't as strong as it has been. Pac was gunning for a Broner fight - which is marketable - but is a relatively easy fight for him (at least on paper). Broner has sloppy footwork and is a come forward fighter, he would have a lot of problems dealing with the speed of Pac, and would also be there to be hit. With fights like this in the pipeline it is easy to see why Pac continues to fight on. I think he destroys Vargas. If he doesn't land Broner after that he might fight Garcia.

I think Geale was overrated. I don't think Mundine was all he was cranked up to be either. Australia just got sucked in a bit. We haven't had much in a while. I would class Green as just slightly ahead of Mundine and Geale. Green didn't beat Mundine due to weight in 2006. That being said, neither are absolute top level. We seen Geale against Golovkin, and he bottled it. He could've got up - but didn't. Lost me after that. So who do we have on the radar? For Australia, I always thought Paul Fleming would make it. His career has stagnated a bit in recent years, but he is undefeated, does show a lot of potental - and has a lot of talent. Needs to step it up though. Is very capable. Another is Rocky Jerkic. He is a better version of Mundine IMO. Should go places. How far is up to him. I also like Dwight Richie (the fighting cowboy). But there are also plenty of others. I think in the next decade we will see a resurgence in Oz boxing. Plenty of talent. Kosta's young bloke is going pro as well.

I think pound for pound there is little between Geale, Mundine and Green at their peak. IMO by ability Mundine is the best of the three with his top notch skills and reflexes... whereas green at peak was a simpler aggressive power puncher and geale at his peak a hard working high volume puncher. For consistent quality of opposition I'd have Geale maybe slightly ahead of the other two - Mundines and Greens greatest opposition was mostly early in their careers, Geales at the end of his.

Geale fought good fighters and GGG and Cotto all at their peak. Whereas the other two fought quality opposition on occasion but really padded their records with many fights against lower level locals or subpar imports, or name fighters that were well past it... think Mundine vs Shane Mosley or Green vs Roy Jones Jnr.

I couldn't disagree more regarding green only losing to mundine because of the weight... mundine schooled him and will do so the rematch IMO. For a number of years green has only fought stand up fighters with little movement. If mundine comes in light and in good fitness, he dances around green and gets the decision for a second time. Greens power is not what it was and is more of a counter puncher these days.

Geale also had struggles making weight when fighting cotto, but simply lost cause he wasn't good enough against a very good fighter.

Anyhow, time will tell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back