Weird Football Coincidences

Remove this Banner Ad

No. He's a wonderful bloke. Go watch his post-match interview after the game against your mob and his B&F speech.

His tactics you might find weak or infuriating, but you don't know him personally.

I'm not sure calling everyone 'mate' and 'brother' makes you a wonderful bloke.

Cant help thinking of the years of leaping onto the goal kickers for photo opportunities..
image.jpeg

Suspicious of his sudden BFF relationship with Inside 50 guru, games record holder Harvey.

But that would be scratching the surface. Something that is discouraged amongst the North board. The stranglehold of delusion that LTK, TOD, TT, BT, WB, DR, PR, SM etc have on that board makes it only useful for announcements. The insight is laughable and generally shutdown by the sycophants.

Honesty is the most important ingredient in success. From Chapman/Scarlett to Hodge to Beveridge.

Bullshit surrounds everything NM and Thomas certainly isn't alone.

St Kilda 04/05/06 vs 09/10/11 (condensed version of some drivel I wrote for my blog).

2004/2009
A marked improvement on the improvement of the respective seasons before. 2004 saw the Saints win their first 10 matches, and go 6 wins/6 losses from then on through the remainder of the home and away season. The Preliminary Final loss had the Saints six points behind when the final siren sounded.

Five years later, the Saints won very nearly double the amount of games to open their season – 19 against the 10 of 2004 – and go 3 wins/3 losses from then on. When the final siren sounded in 2009 Grand Final, the Saints were six points down.

2005/2011
Riewoldt went down injured in sensational fashion in both seasons; the incredible season opener against the Lions juggernaut in 2005 and in Round 3 against soon-to-be-juggernaut Collingwood in 2010.

Over the first couple of months of each, the Saints would genuinely struggle at times. Inconsistent form and issues against quicker sides saw disappointing losses before drastic improvement around the midway point of the season. 2005 would see eight wins from the last nine matches leading into September; 2010 saw 10 and a draw from the last 14.

Both seasons featured epic victories against the odds in Qualifying Finals. The 2005 1st Qualifying Final will be remembered for the Harvey-led Saints knocking off minor premiers Adelaide on their own turf by eight points; the 2010 2nd Qualifying Final will be remembered for the Saints surviving a late onslaught by warm favourites Geelong to turn the finals series on its head.

The Saints would be jumped early in the Preliminary Final against the Swans before working their way back into the game. They had seven-point lead at three-quarter time but the Swans stormed home in the final quarter – seven goals to none – as the Saints were left shellshocked.

In 2010 strong performance in the Preliminary Final against the faltering Bulldogs gave way to being jumped by Collingwood early in the Grand Final before the Saints worked their way back into what became the incredible Draw. Collingwood stormed to a huge win in the Grand Final Replay, however, as the shellshocked Saints couldn’t find an answer all day.

2006/11
After coming so close two seasons in a row, the Saints would look as if the game had passed them by in both 2006 and 2011. Slow starts to both seasons had ACL injuries to Lenny Hayes as their centerpiece. Despite being written off, the second half of both seasons was quite strong and had the Saints playing at levels close to the best of the two seasons previous. 2006 saw the side win eight of the last 10 home and away matches; 2011 11 wins from the last 15.

Wasted opportunities early in the season would prove costly to the Saints’ final ladder placing – see the wasteful performance in the Sirengate match of 2006, and close losses to Geelong and Carlton and a draw with with Richmond in 2011 – and the side would be overrun in the final quarters of each season’s respective Elimination Finals after sixth-placed finishes.

Both seasons saw the coaches leave within days of the Elimination Final knockouts. Grant Thomas was sacked by the board, whilst Ross Lyon went to Freo.

No. He's a wonderful bloke. Go watch his post-match interview after the game against your mob and his B&F speech.

His tactics you might find weak or infuriating, but you don't know him personally.
No thanks.

In fact if I were to compile a list of things to do on this Sunday afternoon, watching a little dweeb get up on stage and make a speech wouldn't make the top 10,000.

He could be the nicest bloke in the world to talk to but I'm not sure you anderstand it's his weak tactics that literally make him a s**t bloke.

St Kilda 04/05/06 vs 09/10/11 (condensed version of some drivel I wrote for my blog).

2004/2009
A marked improvement on the improvement of the respective seasons before. 2004 saw the Saints win their first 10 matches, and go 6 wins/6 losses from then on through the remainder of the home and away season. The Preliminary Final loss had the Saints six points behind when the final siren sounded.

Five years later, the Saints won very nearly double the amount of games to open their season – 19 against the 10 of 2004 – and go 3 wins/3 losses from then on. When the final siren sounded in 2009 Grand Final, the Saints were six points down.

2005/2011
Riewoldt went down injured in sensational fashion in both seasons; the incredible season opener against the Lions juggernaut in 2005 and in Round 3 against soon-to-be-juggernaut Collingwood in 2010.

Over the first couple of months of each, the Saints would genuinely struggle at times. Inconsistent form and issues against quicker sides saw disappointing losses before drastic improvement around the midway point of the season. 2005 would see eight wins from the last nine matches leading into September; 2010 saw 10 and a draw from the last 14.

Both seasons featured epic victories against the odds in Qualifying Finals. The 2005 1st Qualifying Final will be remembered for the Harvey-led Saints knocking off minor premiers Adelaide on their own turf by eight points; the 2010 2nd Qualifying Final will be remembered for the Saints surviving a late onslaught by warm favourites Geelong to turn the finals series on its head.

The Saints would be jumped early in the Preliminary Final against the Swans before working their way back into the game. They had seven-point lead at three-quarter time but the Swans stormed home in the final quarter – seven goals to none – as the Saints were left shellshocked.

In 2010 strong performance in the Preliminary Final against the faltering Bulldogs gave way to being jumped by Collingwood early in the Grand Final before the Saints worked their way back into what became the incredible Draw. Collingwood stormed to a huge win in the Grand Final Replay, however, as the shellshocked Saints couldn’t find an answer all day.

2006/11
After coming so close two seasons in a row, the Saints would look as if the game had passed them by in both 2006 and 2011. Slow starts to both seasons had ACL injuries to Lenny Hayes as their centerpiece. Despite being written off, the second half of both seasons was quite strong and had the Saints playing at levels close to the best of the two seasons previous. 2006 saw the side win eight of the last 10 home and away matches; 2011 11 wins from the last 15.

Wasted opportunities early in the season would prove costly to the Saints’ final ladder placing – see the wasteful performance in the Sirengate match of 2006, and close losses to Geelong and Carlton and a draw with with Richmond in 2011 – and the side would be overrun in the final quarters of each season’s respective Elimination Finals after sixth-placed finishes.

Both seasons saw the coaches leave within days of the Elimination Final knockouts. Grant Thomas was sacked by the board, whilst Ross Lyon went to Freo.

2007/12

St Kilda finished 9th.

No thanks.

In fact if I were to compile a list of things to do on this Sunday afternoon, watching a little dweeb get up on stage and make a speech wouldn't make the top 10,000.

He could be the nicest bloke in the world to talk to but I'm not sure you anderstand it's his weak tactics that literally make him a s**t bloke.
What does that make Dane Swan then? I bet you think he's a ripper despite his off-field behaviour.

The first ever occurrence of 122-53 as a final score was in Round 10, 2015, with Geelong defeating Essendon. The same scoreline then showed up again just three months later in round 23 between Port Adelaide and Fremantle.

Also two games finished at 154-80 on the same day, 5 June 2004, when the 154-80 scoreline had only appeared once before, over 50 years earlier.

Last edited:
What does that make Dane Swan then? I bet you think he's a ripper despite his off-field behaviour.
It's always a laugh when North posters compare someone who's played around 20 games per year for 10 seasons but never finished top 10 in North's B&F with Brownlow medalists and you know, good players.

Big investment in a highly overrated player. Is purely charity taking him into a rebuild at 28/29

It's always a laugh when North posters compare someone who's played around 20 games per year for 10 seasons but never finished top 10 in North's B&F with Brownlow medalists and you know, good players.

Big investment in a highly overrated player. Is purely charity taking him into a rebuild.
Probably because he's a small forward? And a good one at that.

And I wasn't comparing their playing careers, knob.

Bulldogs prelim ended at 19:54pm
Edit... something something something in the GF was at 19:54pm have to check

Edit- solved!

We scored our first goal exactly 19:54 into the first quarter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone tweeted the following. (Not verbatim.)

October 1 1927, Jack Beveridge plays in the first of 4 consecutive Collingwood premierships.
October 1 2016, Jack's grandson Luke Beveridge coaches his first premiership.
Those dates are exactly 89 years apart........

As above the AwFL tried to destroy us in 89

Last edited:
Actually, at some stage in the last quarter of each of our 4 winning finals we were 13.11.89.
Also, weirdly, the Bulldogs last 3 finals ALL ended with the dogs takin a shot for goal. I can't remember the Eagles game, and I'm doing this just from memory but:

Vs hawthorn, game well over, Bulldogs player marked close to the goal square just before the siren. The kick was after the siren
Vs Giants, I think the mark was about 25 seconds from the end. And the kick was just after the siren.
Vs Swans, the kick we just before the siren, but I'm sure the siren sounded with the ball in the air.

Can't remember that happening 3 times in a row for the premiers.

Also, weirdly, the Bulldogs last 3 finals ALL ended with the dogs takin a shot for goal. I can't remember the Eagles game, and I'm doing this just from memory but:

Vs hawthorn, game well over, Bulldogs player marked close to the goal square just before the siren. The kick was after the siren
Vs Giants, I think the mark was about 25 seconds from the end. And the kick was just after the siren.
Vs Swans, the kick we just before the siren, but I'm sure the siren sounded with the ball in the air.

Can't remember that happening 3 times in a row for the premiers.
Excellent! Anyone recall who it was v the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back