Welcome Bradley Hill - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure we were watching the same games? When I saw him play last year, he looked dangerous every time he was near the ball. Even when he was gassed from limited preseason etc.

Watch out round 1 after a full preseason under his belt. He'll likely be the most dangerous forward for us.

I never said he wasn't dangerous, I said he looked slow.

Yeh I know he ran a 2.9sec 20m (or something around that mark). But when I watched him play for us last year he always looked slow.

It was also a couple of years ago he ran that time.

Looked pretty quick in his last game. In fact Yarran and Langdon were the speed demons in that game!

Hawthorn will miss his run and carry link-up play. The amount of running he did during games to be on the end of a possession went unnoticed and he worked extremely hard to be used as a link up player.

His kicking skills to the leading Hawthorn forward target inside 50 was a thing of beauty. He always takes his time and doesn't rush any possession. Players like McCarthy, Kersten and Taberner will love to be on the end of his possessions when he's got the ball.

Even though 2016 wasn't the best season, he still kicked 11 goals and 13 behinds. At only 23 years of age his best footy is ahead of him. He will form a strong duo alongside Harley Bennell on the wing position.

Thanks for everything you've given to the Hawks during you're 5 years here and good luck at Fremantle.

Career Stats
2012: 10 disposals - 2 marks - 1 tackle - 2 inside 50s - 0.6 goals (5 games)
2013: 16 disposals - 3 marks - 2 tackles - 3 inside 50s - 0.75 goals (24 games)
2014: 20 disposals - 4 marks - 2 tackles - 4 inside 50s - 0.45 goals (22 games)
2015: 20 disposals - 4 marks - 3 tackles - 4 inside 50s - 0.7 goals (24 games)
2016: 17 disposals - 4 marks - 3 tackles - 4 inside 50s - 0.55 goals (20 games)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he'll be rotating through the midfield again unfortunately. I see Yaz staying closer to goals and getting more opportunity. Might be wrong.

Congratulations on the pick up. I'm sad to see him go but very understandable that he wants to play with his brother. Fantastic outside player that has a huge work rate! Very under rated. If you watch him live you will see a lot of his runs go unrewarded and he really stretches opposition midfields.

Walters not playing round 1?
Yarran due to injury (from the 2015 WAFL GF) didn't have a pre-season this year (in his first year on an AFL list) and still looked extremely dangerous when he did play. I made the call before that he could be as good as Ballas (on 2015/16 form) with his pressure (he was only slightly behind him this year) and I also think he could become as dangerous on the scoreboard as Walters next year. Walters is still far more important for us and needs to become our forward-line leader to make everyone gel which is critical (which is a big reason why I still have some ??? over Tabs). McCarthy, Yarran (after a pre-season), Bennell and Walters is three more dangerous forwards than we had most of the last few years imo. If at least two of Kersten, Apeness, and Tabs can all step up over the next 12 months we'll have one of the best forward lines in the comp. Mind you we have lost the massive leadership and presence of Pav so I don't know what impact that will have - hopefully Walters is ready to take over.

Pace? We got pace: Weller, Hill, Hill, Langdon, Bennell, Yarran
Darcy Tucker also has a decent set of wheels.

When watching Brad Hill's first few games, I remember thinking the kid's a jet.
At one stage I wondered if we had picked the right Hill.
Now I don't have to worry - we've got the matching set.

upload_2016-10-13_12-47-55.jpg
upload_2016-10-13_12-48-29.jpg

Personally very pleased with the pick up. His disposal is very very good. For those who doubt that, the fact he has averaged 17-20 possessions the last three to four years in that Hawks team should silence your concerns. Look at those highlights, they aren't just good disposals, in most cases he gives the opposition absolutely no chance of an intercept and makes the forward look good by placing the ball in positions for them to run onto at pace. Both Hills, Bennell and weller should improve the skills around the ground tremendously this year.

He also runs his butt off to create options other than just down the line kicks..... and anyone who watched (live or tv) our games this year have to consider that important.

Im betting on 150 games in purple from him. Which if we drafted a player who played that many with his skills we would consider a huge win!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back