2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SPS goes at pick 5 to Carlton. I think Tigers are taking Brodie.
Yeah possibly, although could also see Carlton taking Taranto. I still think there are 6 top (non-academy) prospects in the draft: McCluggage, McGrath, Brodie, Petrevski-Seton, Ainsworth, and Taranto. With Bowes (GCS), Setterfield (GWS) and Perryman (GWS) in amongst those as well.

If Brisbane bid on Bowes (highly possible) then we will be guaranteed access to one of those top 6 (as GCS will use pick #4 to match) but it will be whoever is left over - most likely Ainsworth, Taranto or SPS. Our only other chance is if someone takes someone outside those 6 (eg based on needs before us - like Scrimshaw, English, Marshall etc).

I wonder if GCS are resigned to matching Brisbane's bid @ #3 and would consider swapping #4 for #7 + whatever else we could give them? It's only a 390 point difference (equivalent of pick #42). Would be hilarious if we could rise back up the order relatively cheaply (paying a premium to GCS) and make our choice from 3 of those 6 top prospects.

I think SPS goes at pick 5 to Carlton. I think Tigers are taking Brodie.
Richmond are trading their pick 6 to GCS.
1. Mcluggage (Dons)
2. McGrath (GWS)
3. Bowes (GCS); after Brisbane bid
4. Petrevski-Seton (Brisbane)
5. Ainsworth (Carlton)
6. Brodie (GCS)
7. ?? (Freo); Taranto, English, Berry, Scrimshaw

I'm hoping for a slider. Ainsworth my first preference and Petrevski-Seton my second. Gold Coast will shape the top 10; currently with 4, likely 6, 8 & likely 10.

Last edited:

I wonder if GCS are resigned to matching Brisbane's bid @ #3 and would consider swapping #4 for #7 + whatever else we could give them? It's only a 390 point difference (equivalent of pick #42). Would be hilarious if we could rise back up the order relatively cheaply (paying a premium to GCS) and make our choice from 3 of those 6 top prospects.

Would Barlow do?

We must either want Logue, English, Berry, Tarranto or Marshall. We beleive who we wanted at 3 would still be there at 7. So surely it cant be any of the expected top 6

McCluggage ESS
McGrath GWS
Bowes GCS
Brodie BRIS
Ainsworth GWS
SPS GCS

Richmond are trading their pick 6 to GCS.
1. Mcluggage (Dons)
2. McGrath (GWS)
3. Bowes (GCS); after Brisbane bid
4. Petrevski-Seton (Brisbane)
5. Ainsworth (Carlton)
6. Brodie (GCS)
7. ?? (Freo); Taranto, English, Berry, Scrimshaw

I'm hoping for a slider. Ainsworth my first preference and Petrevski-Seton my second. Gold Coast will shape the top 10; currently with 4, likely 6, 8 & likely 10.
Do you really think the Lions would risk getting a WA kid like SPS, the go home factor?

Do you really think the Lions would risk getting a WA kid like SPS, the go home factor?
Put it another way, would they risk getting a player not from Brisbane but whom supports them and has said that he is keen to move east, versus a similarily ranked player from Melbourne or someone from Vic country?

We must either want Logue, English, Berry, Tarranto or Marshall. We beleive who we wanted at 3 would still be there at 7. So surely it cant be any of the expected top 6

McCluggage ESS
McGrath GWS
Bowes GCS
Brodie BRIS
Ainsworth GWS
SPS GCS

I wouldn't be so sure they have a name in mind, only that they were getting comparative value; with picks changing around them it is very difficult to say player x will still be there.The only thing I can possibly see is tangible is that we get a pick where the best talls of the draft are 95% likely to still available; both English and Marshall have been talked about (By Twoomey and Sheehan) as a potential No.1 pick at times across this season and have the potential to be the best players in this draft which is what you want to get with a top pick. For me, Logue and Berry are a stretch at 7 in comparison; good players but more slightly more limited potential.

Put it another way, would they risk getting a player not from Brisbane but whom supports them and has said that he is keen to move east, versus a similarily ranked player from Melbourne or someone from Vic country?
Yep.

Another scenario should Ainsworth or McLuggage fall to us @ 7 would we pass over them just because they're From Vic?

Brisbane would have done extensive interviewing and I'm sure they are aware of what risks exist.

How it all falls on the day, depends on the clubs individual ratings and preferences. Freo may rate Ainsworth at 2 and English at 3 but GCS may have a very different approach with such a large number of top 10 picks.

Our best hope is for two academy bids in the top 6 (Bowes - GCS, Setterfield - GWS).

Personnally i think Bris preference would be:
McClug, McGrath, Brodie, SPS, Ainsworth
GCS will likely be the same with both needing midfielders. GCS have the hardest job predicting who will go between there picks. Because of this i expect them to bid on Setterfield, especially if GWS get 5. If GWS or Bris bid on bowes then imo they will take Ainsworth or SPS, in that order. They are a big chance of getting Berry or Ligue with 8 or 10.

Personnally i think GCS at 6 and gws with 5 are the only remote possibilitys that English goes before us.and it would be a massive risk that they take such a long term investment in a WA player since they are all home sick.

With Hamling coming, sign up A.Pearce and Collins on long term contracts so our backline is solid for the next 5 years and I won't be upset at reaching for English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Hamling coming, sign up A.Pearce and Collins on long term contracts so our backline is solid for the next 5 years and I won't be upset at reaching for English.

We may need to add a couple of small defenders if Spurr and maybe Sutcliffe are our only options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree we will, but not at pick 7.

Maybe Brady Grey can be groomed for this position. Hard as nails, good leap, decent speed...

Dons. Mccluggage
Gws. McGrath
Bris. Brodie
Gcs. Sps
Carlton. Ainsworth
Gcs. Bowes
Freo. Tarranto

I reckon Eagles may get English. I think Brisbane are crazy for trading 3 for 2

Personnally i think Bris preference would be:
McClug, McGrath, Brodie, SPS, Ainsworth
GCS will likely be the same with both needing midfielders. GCS have the hardest job predicting who will go between there picks. Because of this i expect them to bid on Setterfield, especially if GWS get 5. If GWS or Bris bid on bowes then imo they will take Ainsworth or SPS, in that order. They are a big chance of getting Berry or Ligue with 8 or 10.

Personnally i think GCS at 6 and gws with 5 are the only remote possibilitys that English goes before us.and it would be a massive risk that they take such a long term investment in a WA player since they are all home sick.

Define massive risk? In any one season there will be between 70 to 100 WA players on lists outside the two Perth teams and now this trade period we get what five guys wanting a trade back to Perth? Of which two have actually happened as of today. Will probably end up with 3 or 4. In most seasons its zero or one. When is the last time a genuine star has been traded back to Perth? Years and years. All they guys coming back are borderline best 22 at their clubs. Yeo wasn't a big name when traded back. Hill is probably the highest rated player to come back for donkeys. The risk is close to 0.
If Gold Coast or Brisbane want SPS or English they will take them unless they have specific information that there is a risk (I.E. they do a Wingard). Even then they might still taken them since they probably need to be sending a message. Absolutely take QLD talent if it's a choice between two players they rate approximately equally (same as we do), otherwise best available.
In fact if it comes down to it the Queensland clubs should take WA or SA players in preference to Victorians since there are only 2 clubs in those states (as against 10) to tempt them back.

Last edited:
Just watched the u 18's all stars game again. Anyone think Shai Bolton may bolt (pun intended) into the top 10?
He had a cracking game, a real line breaker.

As much as I love him and would dearly like him to play for us, I think it's possibly stretching a tad too much to take him at 7 potentially ahead of players like SPS, Ainsworth, Brodie, English, Berry etc but we never really know until Lloyd reads the name out.

It would be like us to take a project ruck.
Reckon SPS and Logue fit better
Agree, I am into Logue right now , assume SpS is gone . I think he will be a cult figure for freo at the backline with his intercept mark . English a big risk but might be big reward also , but if clarke signed extension i dont think freo need to get english at all at pick 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back