Traded Jarrad Witts [traded to Gold Coast for picks 44 & 62]

Remove this Banner Ad

It was pick 37 in points value. Which should be relevant for the pies this year.

Yeah, the update came in after my minor celebration after being given much much much grief over my early comment.

To be fair it was a specific Pies supporter. Most of the rest were in general agreement to the range.

I'd like to apologise to MagpieBrute who assigned me the position of the arbiter of Witts' value earlier in the year.

I clearly stated it would be pick 25-40, and have been proven incorrect.
Don't be so hard on yourself. 44 + 62 is the points equivalent of 37. You were pretty close.
Apex36 don't mean to rub it in mate but I told you he's not worth a pick in the 20s
You'll look back on this in 12 months and think you got a steal imo. There's a good reason that Witts went in to round 1 as the preferred ruck ahead of Grundy.
I said a pick in the 20's, ended up getting points equivalent of 37. Win some lose some. I still maintain Witts is chronically underrated by most.

At the end of the day I guess I can't be too unhappy. Those points will be valuable in securing Daicos and Brown.

Did they REALLY need him? they resigned Nicholls, and its subjective whether he's in front of Currie or not. Reckon Pies did well to get two draft picks.

Nicholls is really soft and Currie is replacement level at best.

Did they REALLY need him? they resigned Nicholls, and its subjective whether he's in front of Currie or not. Reckon Pies did well to get two draft picks.
He'll play round 1 ahead of Nicholls.

Don't be so hard on yourself. 44 + 62 is the points equivalent of 37. You were pretty close.

You'll look back on this in 12 months and think you got a steal imo. There's a good reason that Witts went in to round 1 as the preferred ruck ahead of Grundy.

I said a pick in the 20's, ended up getting points equivalent of 37. Win some lose some. I still maintain Witts is chronically underrated by most.

At the end of the day I guess I can't be too unhappy. Those points will be valuable in securing Daicos and Brown.

Well mate I had Witts at 35-45.

As you say you win some you lose some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope your right mate!

Hope your right mate!
Pretty sure I will be. Witts was largely a victim of circumstance this year. Had a ripper NAB series, started round 1 ahead of Grundy only to split the webbing in his hand in the first quarter. Didn't get back on the park for 5-6 weeks after it got infected. Got his only other chance at senior level against Melbourne where the match committee selected he, Grundy and Cox all in the same side. Was never going to be pretty for any of them.

He finished the year banging down 50-60 hitouts and getting 20 posessions consistently in the VFL. Would have got a gig in several other teams with his form but by that stage Grundy was the in form ruck of the comp. I'm genuinely sad to see him go, as I always wanted to see him form a successful partnership with Grundy, but it's become pretty clear that they both perform better as a number 1 ruck with a forward chopping out for 5 mins a quarter.

so i thought i heard it wouldn't be pick 44 and that he is worth a first or early 2nd lol
And I heard that pick 6 would not be given up under any circumstances for Prestia.

Gloating is fun.

And I heard that pick 6 would not be given up under any circumstances for Prestia.

Gloating is fun.

Still waiting for the Cloke trade to occur for chump change.

A lot less than Boyd or the first/second rd pick Pies fans have been banging on about

Should be amusing.

Still waiting for the Cloke trade to occur for chump change.

A lot less than Boyd or the first/second rd pick Pies fans have been banging on about

Should be amusing.
Pretty sure most pies fans were resigned to the fact we wouldn't get much for Cloke weeks ago. It's pretty well accepted that some picks for FS points and his wage off the books is what the club is after.

Probably about the right value in the end. Those picks will pay for one of our two father-sons, and I'll take that at the end of the day.

If we'd been extremely lucky, he might have attracted more, but this was probably about market value for a ruckman with some strengths and also some apparent weaknesses.

Hope he does well at the Suns as the heir to the proud tradition of Josh Fraser.

I said a pick in the 20's, ended up getting points equivalent of 37. Win some lose some.

That's like backing Number 1 to win the Melbourne Cup, and when Number 17 wins it and you say "I NEARLY BACKED THE WINNER" hahahahahahahaha #musttryharder

Great get for the Suns.

The young Sandilands comparison is very apt. He is a very good ruckman but he is a ruckman only. Biggest weakness is his lack of flexibility/mobility. For some reason with his height, he struggles to play forward or back.

He was very unfortunate at Collingwood that he had a more mobile/aggressive ruckman ahead of him and they couldnt play in the same side.

Oh well, good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back