Hot Topic 2016 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we cannot take players with disposal issues - we've seen how nigh on impossible it is to retro-fit quality kicking skills - this is one thing the hawks have taught every club

I am confident with whoever we get at 5 (academy bids could wind up giving us the third live pick at best meaning only McGrath and McLuggage would theoretically be out of reach)

Brodie, Taranto, Scrimshaw, Ainsworth all possible

What do you guys think of Drew?

He's an inside midfielder that in some ways reminds me of Dunkley. Tall for a midfielder(~190), good at the contest, good hands, average kick(better than Dunkley) and moves very well, long striding.

I think this kid has some real upside. At the moment he looks lanky but with his build l expect him to fill out and be a very strong midfielder.

Pick 25 might be around the mark for this guy. I expect Brodie to be taken by GC at 4 so we might look at a player like drew at 25.

If anyone feels like they know his game quite well let me know what your thoughts are regarding him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder if Setterfield will come into calculations at #5.

Would we bid or would that taint our trade relationship with GWS?
I've been contemplating this. With the way SOS apparently helped out the Hawks to our disadvantage in the trade period you wonder what kind of gentleman's agreements are going on with zone selections and father/sons.

Knightmare has it going -

McCluggage, McGrath, Brodie, Taranto..

Then 3 zone selections in a row... Bowes, Setterfield, Perryman.

Following this is Ainsworth which would be pick 5. Aso available Petrevski-Seton, Drew and Scrimshaw.

I'd start listening to Cal Twomey and Emma Quayle from here on in.

At this stage, it's not about talent spotting, but about contacts. And these two seem to get the inside word.

By draft night, I think clubs know exactly what the top 10 is going to be.

I think you're right... I also think Gcs would have a handshake with GWS not to bid on Bowes and Suns won't bid on Setterfield and Perryman... Also with Bris as part of their Hanley deal where Bris got a First and second round pick for the 28 year old (thats better than JOM).. highly illegal, but how do you police it...

Yeah there's not much point bidding is there?

You're not going to get the player, you make an enemy at the trade table and your draftee feels unloved as he was officially your second choice.

Yeah there's not much point bidding is there?

You're not going to get the player, you make an enemy at the trade table and your draftee feels unloved as he was officially your second choice.
We need to keep these bastards honest though and stop allowing them to get huge discounts on these players! GWS are now run by Richmond nuffies who tried to force us to trade Gibbs at crap value! **** them I say! Bid on Setterfield then Bowes if available I say. Nobody should be doing these academy teams any favours imo.

I see people say Brodie is a bit too 'vanilla'...but i like what im hearing about his competitiveness and mental toughness.

I wonder if he could be like a Rory Sloane...Sloane is 'vanilla' in a sense but he's competitive, works hard and just does everything to a high enough standard, without 'standing out' in any particular way.

I see people say Brodie is a bit too 'vanilla'...but i like what im hearing about his competitiveness and mental toughness.

I wonder if he could be like a Rory Sloane...Sloane is 'vanilla' in a sense but he's competitive, works hard and just does everything to a high enough standard, without 'standing out' in any particular way.

Well said.

I think people get a bit carried away with the whole 'vanilla' thing. Whilst being able to play multiple positions seems to be the flavour of the month, it can also be a curse. These players tend to be moved around the ground without ever settling on the one position. Sometimes this means a jack of all trades, master of none. Still feel like we were guilty of this with Gibbs early stages of his career. Currently doing it with Jaksch. There are many guys in the league who are true midfielders who rarely leave the centre square eg. Sloane, Kennedy, Liberatore, Watson, Selwood. All these guys are or have been gun players.

Brodie will continue to improve his disposal in an elite environment. That is something skill related that can be worked on. The things which can't really be taught (standing up in big moments, carrying the team on your back, hunger for the contest) he has in spades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you guys think of Drew?

He's an inside midfielder that in some ways reminds me of Dunkley. Tall for a midfielder(~190), good at the contest, good hands, average kick(better than Dunkley) and moves very well, long striding.

I think this kid has some real upside. At the moment he looks lanky but with his build l expect him to fill out and be a very strong midfielder.

Pick 25 might be around the mark for this guy. I expect Brodie to be taken by GC at 4 so we might look at a player like drew at 25.

If anyone feels like they know his game quite well let me know what your thoughts are regarding him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I watched the Vic metro vs vic country game the other day and I was so impressed by how clean and strong Drew was! If he got through to 25 it would be an absolute steal but I doubt it. For me he is a top 20 pick

Do we take the absolute class/silk in SPS at 5 and then a tough inside mid at 25 (in the knowledge that Fyfe is on his way here next year ;)) ?
To plan for a possible scenario is asking for trouble. We take the best available player, who will be a mid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To plan for a possible scenario is asking for trouble. We take the best available player, who will be a mid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To quote the late great Colin Hayes :
"The future belongs to those who plan for it"
I'm confident that for the first time in a long time Carlton have a strategic plan going forward .
Whether Fyfe is part of that plan and the groundwork has been done , only the inner sanctum knows at this stage .

To quote the late great Colin Hayes :
"The future belongs to those who plan for it"
I'm confident that for the first time in a long time Carlton have a strategic plan going forward .
Whether Fyfe is part of that plan and the groundwork has been done , only the inner sanctum knows at this stage .

First time we've had a dedicated List Manager and not the recruiter, the Head of Football Dept and CEO making decisions on who stays and who goes....what contracts are offered and when...mapping out a 3 year ongoing strategy and not winging it from year to year.

Wonder if this would have even come about had have Trigg not been at the helm.

EDIT: Has anyone heard anything more of Paul Brodie coming aboard this year?

I the three I like around our pick 5 mark are
Setterfield, brodie and SPS in that order.
Scrimshaw and taranto good players but not worth pick 5.

First time we've had a dedicated List Manager and not the recruiter, the Head of Football Dept and CEO making decisions on who stays and who goes....what contracts are offered and when...mapping out a 3 year ongoing strategy and not winging it from year to year.

Wonder if this would have even come about had have Trigg not been at the helm.

EDIT: Has anyone heard anything more of Paul Brodie coming aboard this year?

Trigg seems a methodical kind of bloke doesn't he .
His appearance's in the media appear planned with a clear narrative that he sticks to .
Carlton are certainly a tighter ship set on a course these days .

Brodie was very impressive in the AIS games Vs VFL teams, earlier in the year.
Was really holding he's own up against the bigger bodies.
He is the best clearance player of this draft, good size at 189cm.
Dylan Clarke was the 1st ranked contested ball player in the TAC cup with Drew ranked 3rd
and Taranto ranked 5th.
Is Brodie's kicking as bad as some people are suggesting?

Is Brodie's kicking as bad as some people are suggesting?

I havent seen him but i seriously doubt it if he's being touted as a top 5 pick, and pick 1 earlier this year...a guy with an average-bad kicking skills would never have even been talked about as going this high in the draft.

Trigg seems a methodical kind of bloke doesn't he .
His appearance's in the media appear planned with a clear narrative that he sticks to .
Carlton are certainly a tighter ship set on a course these days .

Trigg accepts responsibility for his role and doesn't allow anyone to get in the way....his President included.
I respect him for shutting down MLG on several live interviews, where he saw the course his President was heading, not to be a particularly good one.

It's clear now that the CFC have a plan and will stick to it.......even if some are still willing to throw some spanners into the works.
That reminds me; We haven't hear anything from Mathieson recently. I wonder why?

If ed curnow can improve his kicking there's hope for brodie. If he has the right attitude, which it seems like he does, this is something that can be improved.

It could come to who has the greater leadership qualities, character, etc.

Either way it seemes we'll add another young quality mid at pick 5 to go with cunningham and cripps. Still need another 6 or so more though to prepare for the departures oc murph and gibbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back