A-League Which Melbourne team do you support and why?

A-League
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Inaugural heart member, didn't like the way the club originally went about it and thought they made some shocking errors like believing Ange postecoglou wasn't even worthy of an interview for the job but I persisted, I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the games and the underdog status the team had, the city takeover soured me a bit as I'm a Liverpool fan and didn't really like the connection, I'm a fan now but not a member but still go to some games, the attractive football the team displayed tonight will obviously get me and many others through the gates a lot more.

Should be said my real team is south Melbourne and the one I still support in winter and the only club I feel genuine love for as I lived in Albert park and supported them since I was child, if a 3rd Melbourne license was handed out and was given to the club I would obviously support my team.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Inaugural heart member, didn't like the way the club originally went about it and thought they made some shocking errors like believing Ange postecoglou wasn't even worthy of an interview for the job but I persisted, I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the games and the underdog status the team had, the city takeover soured me a bit as I'm a Liverpool fan and didn't really like the connection, I'm a fan now but not a member but still go to some games, the attractive football the team displayed tonight will obviously get me and many others through the gates a lot more.

Should be said my real team is south Melbourne and the one I still support in winter and the only club I feel genuine love for as I lived in Albert park and supported them since I was child, if a 3rd Melbourne license was handed out and was given to the club I would obviously support my team.

I read the first paragraph and was going to hang s**t on you given how many johnny-come-lately fans City have.

But then I read the 2nd paragraph, and I changed my mind. Regardless of what I think about City, I'm stoked that you're on board with the A-League. In my experience dyed-in-the-wool South fans are the most stubborn about supporting the A-League, so welcome!

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Went for Heart when they started as an underdog thing. Becoming City was odd but I really liked the team and like them more each year, so I'm still on board.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Melbourne people turn up to domestic sporting matches, people from Sydney, generally do not. If Melbourne really cared about a dick measuring contest over record attendances for an A-League game, scheduling the next Melbourne derby at the MCG would fix that.

Plus, I'm not really talking about what City could be; I'm pretty comfortable with how City is tracking. City's most two successful seasons have been the two since CFG took over and the club has just won its first game for only the second time in its history. City had a decent season last year, one of only two in its history where it has been better than Victory. It's still in the running for the FFA Cup and will have the most recognisable player in the A-League by far this season. The club is pretty clearly on the up.

And I'll repeat: If Peter Sidwell had plonked the original Melbourne Heart in Footscray, or Dandenong, or Reservoir, or Geelong (and played God knows where), CFG would not have been interested in the slightest. We would have the same issues luring quality players as Newcastle and Central Coast does. We wouldn't have been purchased for more than the Wanderers were at roughly the same time. Just to repeat: Wanderers came into the league, they were crowned champions in their first year, they played in front of packed houses at home, yet old unfashionable Melbourne Heart sold at around the same time for much more. The whole thing was run on the smell of an oily rag, but Sidwell turned a profit. He's a businessman and Melbourne Heart was a successful business.

And how would that have worked for an A-League example? Put the Melbourne Knights, or South Melbourne in the league? How would those endeavours have worked better than the path that was ultimately taken?

What's the point of difference for an Australian NBA or EPL fan, who just randomly latches on to a team, despite never even being to the city? It's because the team is successful, or they like the uniforms, or their favourite player plays for them, or some other arbitrary reason.

I'll break it to you gently: Melbourne Heart then and Melbourne City now don't owe you a point of differential at inception. Splitting the two Melbourne teams geographically would have been utterly stupid: all it would have done would have been to cut off half of Melbourne (at least) to prospective members/supporters (because why would someone from Oakleigh want to support a team based in Footscray, or vice versa?), without even considering the money pit it would have been.

People treat the A-League as though it's been around for 50 years. The point of differential will be built over the coming years and decades, as players and coaches come and go, derbies are played and cups are won and lost.

To suggest that Heart's decision to base itself in Melbourne is justified because it then paved the way for the City Group to buy it out is a bit non sensical. It's only after the mess the Heart became, were they vulnerable enough for:

1. the City Group to approach it, and
2. The Heart Group to be so quick in accepting City Group's offer.

The Heart Owners could not get out quick enough. So much for longevity and a vision to do things differently. And talk about being rewarded for putting out a rubbish model.

The only thing from keeping Heart/City alive is oil money. Unlike Melbourne Victory, City cannot stand on its own 2 feet. City is as dependant on the City Group for survival as a baby is on his/her mum.

City played well last night but notice the only empty seats were in City's active group area. Even after all the hype, even with Cahill, even with your opening round win, City could still not sell out its allocation of seats. Now compare that with WSW and really it's not good enough. But hey, you got the oil Arab's backing right, so that is reason in itself to excuse the shithouse decisions the Heart made when it entered the competition.

This might come home to roost if City Group see no increase in interest in the club and sell out or reduce its funding. There may even be a condition of ownership that club be able to support itself. Who knows? Like I've said though, I hope it doesn't resort to that.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
To suggest that Heart's decision to base itself in Melbourne is justified because it then paved the way for the City Group to buy it out is a bit non sensical. It's only after the mess the Heart became, were they vulnerable enough for:

1. the City Group to approach it, and
2. The Heart Group to be so quick in accepting City Group's offer.

The Heart Owners could not get out quick enough. So much for longevity and a vision to do things differently. And talk about being rewarded for putting out a rubbish model.

The only thing from keeping Heart/City alive is oil money. Unlike Melbourne Victory, City cannot stand on its own 2 feet. City is as dependant on the City Group for survival as a baby is on his/her mum.

City played well last night but notice the only empty seats were in City's active group area. Even after all the hype, even with Cahill, even with your opening round win, City could still not sell out its allocation of seats. Now compare that with WSW and really it's not good enough. But hey, you got the oil Arab's backing right, so that is reason in itself to excuse the shithouse decisions the Heart made when it entered the competition.

This might come home to roost if City Group see no increase in interest in the club and sell out or reduce its funding. There may even be a condition of ownership that club be able to support itself. Who knows? Like I've said though, I hope it doesn't resort to that.

Melbourne City's owners have made the club arguably the most desirable destination club in the league, with access to facilities and global opportunities that other A-League clubs could only dream of. A fact reinforced by just how easily they managed to make Victory look second rate last night.

All signs point to our owners and management putting together a team of outstanding players, who are happy to be here and offering many of them a path to bigger and better things. So they're doing a good job, as far as I'm concerned and I couldn't care less where they come from, or how they've earned their money. They've made the club that I support relevant and I thank them for it.

A crowd of over 15,000 on Friday night would represent encouraging growth and that's what City should aim for. Continue putting up displays like that and the crowds will swell rapidly.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
a fellow Victory (or are we called Victors?) friend (unfortunately a man utd supporter) noted that his mate, also a manure, is a MelC fan. He said that's not on cause MelC are like Man City, and they are the enemy.
Exactly, I can't see how anyone who supports another EPL side can support City.
I've always hated the Victory but now would support them against City. City have become by far my most hated club in the comp.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I've always hated the Victory but now would support them against City. City have become by far my most hated club in the comp.

Just out of curiosity why did you hate the Victory? ( are you another who hated the fans and Muscat as a reason) Second how can you go from hating a club to then start supporting it?

wait. im in disbelief that someone who is a supporter of the a-league, and a utd fan, hates city. i mean the day before rumours surfaced about heart becoming a city there were no ill feelings.

wait x 2. s**t just realised i myself have a mate who is a man utd fan AND a cityian!

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Just out of curiosity why did you hate the Victory? ( are you another who hated the fans and Muscat as a reason) Second how can you go from hating a club to then start supporting it?
I'm a Adelaide City supporter/member for 30 plus years and as such South Melbourne Hellas and the Croats were our most bitter and hated rivals and when Victory were founded to me they just seemed a rebirth of South Melbourne. So I don't support Victory in anyway but hope they beat the City scum

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'm a Adelaide City supporter/member for 30 plus years and as such South Melbourne Hellas and the Croats were our most bitter and hated rivals and when Victory were founded to me they just seemed a rebirth of South Melbourne. So I don't support Victory in anyway but hope they beat the City scum

You from Adeliade? OK sorry mate that's understandable.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yeah I'm from Adelaide.
When Adelaide United joined the comp I became a member but am not anywhere near as passionate about them as Adelaide City. Still go to City games and hopefully one day we can grab the second license and get back to where we belong

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

Aww, s**t...

Wait til the South Melbourne supporters see this! :eek:

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Yeah I'm from Adelaide.
When Adelaide United joined the comp I became a member but am not anywhere near as passionate about them as Adelaide City. Still go to City games and hopefully one day we can grab the second license and get back to where we belong

I was at the NSL Grand Final back in 94 Between Knights V City at Olympic Park sitting amongst the City supporters great memories!
Would be awesome to see them in the A-League! one day mate who knows.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Melbourne City's owners have made the club arguably the most desirable destination club in the league, with access to facilities and global opportunities that other A-League clubs could only dream of. A fact reinforced by just how easily they managed to make Victory look second rate last night.

All signs point to our owners and management putting together a team of outstanding players, who are happy to be here and offering many of them a path to bigger and better things. So they're doing a good job, as far as I'm concerned and I couldn't care less where they come from, or how they've earned their money. They've made the club that I support relevant and I thank them for it.

A crowd of over 15,000 on Friday night would represent encouraging growth and that's what City should aim for. Continue putting up displays like that and the crowds will swell rapidly.

But again this has nothing to do with Heart. Sure City Group are doing their best to make City a desirable place to play but you can't deny Heart got it wrong.

The City Boyz

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2016
Albert Park
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
From a South fan, that goes against everything we stand for. Nobby was right, I am properly pissed off...

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
But again this has nothing to do with Heart. Sure City Group are doing their best to make City a desirable place to play but you can't deny Heart got it wrong.

Of course I can, if by "got it wrong" you're persisting with the idea that having two Melbourne teams was a mistake. I think the opposite, in fact: that we have the ability to lure big name foreign players and Australians looking to return home because we are based in one of Australia's two biggest cities. Somehow, I don't think we would have been high on Cahill's radar if we'd been based in Geelong, or Oakleigh.

Anyone that was willing to set the club up to have world class facilities, to outspend all the competition, taking advantage of the salary cap loopholes wherever possible and to establish a network of international scouts to identify the best available talent in South America could have done just as well with a team based in Melbourne from the establishment of Melbourne Heart, as CFG is doing with the same club now. Anyone willing to spend and with a semblance of a clue would build a competitive team, with the advantages that Melbourne Heart had (a desirable location, a good home stadium and not much else). As far as I'm concerned, Heart only had those two things going for it, pre-City, but that's still two more things than some regional or outer-suburban team would have had going for it.

Sidwell and co. didn't want to commit the same sort of money to the club, so they trained on a cow paddock, they did their ice bath recoveries in wheelie bins and they sold off plenty of talented players to bank the transfer fee. Heart's owners ran the club as a business and it was a successful venture for them, in that sense.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
What are these "world class facilities"? Don't they train on public fields at La Trobe University?

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Heart hardly got it wrong. Whilst they didn't set the world on fire like the arrival of WSW, they formed their model on being sustainable by developing and then selling young talent which kept them viable, but that makes it hard to maintain performance on the pitch to be challenging for titles and limiting your appeal to new supporters.

You're a harsh judge if you think paying your players and staff every week and no real worries about shutting up shop is getting it wrong.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
I'm still yet to hear from the A-League or the FFA why I'm supposed to give a * about a 10-year old plastic. I would hope the kids that we want to support the game don't need a PR campaign, don't need trips around the country, and don't need to personally meet and engage with players in order to start following the A-League. They're the kids who will be rusted on - the way that they made this kid the focus of a PR campaign is the opposite of creating a rusted on fan.

I actually have some post grad qualifications in PR. I liked the idea behind the "You've gotta have a team" campaign, but they completely screwed up the implementation of it and the PR tactics behind it.

I heard somewhere he's from WA (yoshi).

Look the campaign doesnt piss me off in any way, i thought he'd be a sydney supporter. The factors he used as criteria were interesting. I read on facebook people mocking his "fans" as one of such criteria, in that city have no fans.

I think the campaign shows what we already know about kids. they will follow the marketed team or a winning one, or both. we see it with footy, other sports too.

Back