Having trouble finding work

drviccles

Team Captain
May 5, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Currently working casually as a tutor after having completed a PhD in Psychology but finishing up soon. I am keen to move out of academia and into another field. Interested in HR/Admin/data entry. Have applied for all of those jobs but other than a few months in data entry, I have had no luck at all. Have put in some EOI's for places like the ABS but nothing. It would be nice to use my psychology degree but not keen on working as a psychologist (haven't done a masters/clinical PhD). Any advice/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
For HR/Admin/data entry jobs, they might consider you as over-qualified. On your resume, you don't have to put down your doctorate, maybe just your masters? You can write down your work experiences which should include responsibilities and key achievements for each one. Also, outline your key capabilities and the qualities that describe you. You can also volunteer in your selected fields and build up your resume like that. It's also very important to write very clearly and use examples for questions that an organisation may ask you in an online application or F2F interview. Follow the STAR method.

drviccles

Team Captain
May 5, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Appreciate the advice guys. I've thought about taking my PhD off from my resume, but was thinking they might wonder about my tutoring/lecturing work.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
In your cover letter explain why that you wish to move to another career and you see their company as a great place. Mention you have a PhD which led to Tutoring. Keep it on your resume but not as the front and centre. Highlight those skills the company is looking for first

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Data Entry? And you have a Ph.D.?
*s sake mate, use the obvious God given skills you have.
Don't waste the last however many years of study you've put in for a s**t menial job that you WILL get bored of.
I had to work my arse off getting a degree in finance many years ago after deferring Uni to do a plumbing apprenticeship. Many late nights doing pat time study that could've been handled if I'd just applied myself after high school and gone to uni.
Don't waste it mate, you will regret it.

drviccles

Team Captain
May 5, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I gotta make money somehow. I want out of academia (Well I am technically other than a bit of RA work) - I just don't know what else I can do. I feel like I don't really know how to find a job.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not sure how it works, but the obvious path would be to get into counselling or psychology - given you have a doctorate in the field. Yes, practical will be different from academia and other skills are required - there must be a pathway though, otherwise how do people get started.

Starting point : https://www.psychology.org.au/studentHQ/careers-in-psychology/

Appreciate the advice guys. I've thought about taking my PhD off from my resume, but was thinking they might wonder about my tutoring/lecturing work.

Personally I won't hire PhDs unless it is extremely relevant to the profession or explained by doing something in economic down turns. As I look for doers rather than academics. This position is not uncommon.

So don't sell the PhD from the academic achievement rather the angle of hard work. Make sure your job application focuses on what they want to hear and link your experience and study to those needs. Don't be frightened of asking for work experience either.

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
the psych degree hits again. for those that don't know what to do but want to appear like they've been productive.

what jobs does this degree actually lead to?

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Pokemon is Life Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
the psych degree hits again. for those that don't know what to do but want to appear like they've been productive.

what jobs does this degree actually lead to?
Mental health is exploding.

I think everyone who goes through uni, should do at least one or two units of psych.

Personally I won't hire PhDs unless it is extremely relevant to the profession or explained by doing something in economic down turns. As I look for doers rather than academics. This position is not uncommon.

So don't sell the PhD from the academic achievement rather the angle of hard work. Make sure your job application focuses on what they want to hear and link your experience and study to those needs. Don't be frightened of asking for work experience either.
I'd say the opposite. Know your worth, and don't do anything for free.
Do unpaid work, if you think your time is worth nothing.

I understand that thought process behind showing how eager you are, by doing the job for free.
And I don't think the world owes me anything.

But if someone offers to do something for me, for free. I assume there is something wrong with them or it.

Never sell yourself short. You're not in highschool anymore, don't work for free.

Mental health is exploding.

I think everyone who goes through uni, should do at least one or two units of psych.

I'd say the opposite. Know your worth, and don't do anything for free.
Do unpaid work, if you think your time is worth nothing.

I understand that thought process behind showing how eager you are, by doing the job for free.
And I don't think the world owes me anything.

But if someone offers to do something for me, for free. I assume there is something wrong with them or it.

Never sell yourself short. You're not in highschool anymore, don't work for free.

I hear where you are coming from but by that logic, you wouldn't go to school or university.

I don't like the idea of setting myself up for trading time for money and strongly recommend to everyone to change their mindset to a place where time and money isn't related.

It is easy to make a 2m-10m a year but that requires sacrifice to get yourself into a place where that is possible.

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I hear where you are coming from but by that logic, you wouldn't go to school or university.

I don't like the idea of setting myself up for trading time for money and strongly recommend to everyone to change their mindset to a place where time and money isn't related.

It is easy to make a 2m-10m a year but that requires sacrifice to get yourself into a place where that is possible.
What? I don't understand how school is the same as taking a job without pay.

One is education, the other is doing work for someone else, for free.

If someone wants to try and make a profit from my year 5 poster of cars and motorbikes, made from cutting pictures out of magazines, that can.

Don't think you can compare getting an actual education, to working a job for someone else, for free.

My time is valuable, I respect myself too much to tell someone I'll do it for free.
Volunteer work, charity work, completely different.

I wouldn't respect anyone who came to me asking to do a job for free, because it tells me they don't respect themselves.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the making millions of dollars thing.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I wouldn't respect anyone who came to me asking to do a job for free, because it tells me they don't respect themselves.
I would see it the other way. They believe in themselves so much that by asking for a free week they are investing in their future. They will make it so hard for you not to hire them.

What? I don't understand how school is the same as taking a job without pay.

One is education, the other is doing work for someone else, for free.

If someone wants to try and make a profit from my year 5 poster of cars and motorbikes, made from cutting pictures out of magazines, that can.

Don't think you can compare getting an actual education, to working a job for someone else, for free.

My time is valuable, I respect myself too much to tell someone I'll do it for free.
Volunteer work, charity work, completely different.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the making millions of dollars thing.

I'd value work experience on top of university (especially if completed hand in hand) any day over university alone.

picking on university rather than school, it not only requires hard work but you have to reach into your pocket to pay for the privilege to do hard work. It has become a business, with a massive disconnect between price and value for many subjects.

Working for nothing, with no end in mind is a waste of time. Although I didn't work for nothing, I gave up a job which paid up to $100k in the late 90s to return to university and accept a job that paid $35k (after 3 years on Austudy). After a couple of years and pay rises I gave up a $65k job for a $45k job. 18-24 months later I had enough to retire and another 18-24 later enough to support my parents, sister, her kids and probably their kids and the kids after that.

By not being frightened to go backward and not being frightened to under-value my skills, I was able to get myself in the right position at the right time. Position and timing is important......the rest is luck

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I would see it the other way. They believe in themselves so much that by asking for a free week they are investing in their future. They will make it so hard for you not to hire them.
I understand that view. I've seen it stated a lot, mostly in the media, by people who have a lot of money, and wouldn't do it themselves.

Honestly, if someone came to you, offering their services for an average or even slightly below average price. And someone came saying that just want to work for you, and they'll do it for free.
Who would you expect to do a better job? I know it would be the latter, in a philosophical world. But if this was a real situation, who would you really pick?

I learnt when I was younger, never to undervalue myself, never to be taken advantage of, and never to do a paid job for free.

It's a noble idea. But an example. You want to be a mechanic, so you apply at a auto repair shop. They explain they cannot hire you, because they are already fully stuffed, and have no budget for you.
You say you don't care, you'll do the job for free.

Now, They aren't going to have you doing high end stuff, and they are not there to teach you. And they're definitely not going to train you up to take their job.
So, you will be doing oil changes, and end of day clean up. Lunch runs, coffee runs. Toilet needs a scrub down, guess who the go to guy is?
You bust your ass for a year, and finally decide that you need some form of income, because working two full time jobs to support yourself and follow your dreams is killing you.
They explain that they still cannot hire you, because they are still fully staffed, and have no budget for you.
But thanks for doing all the s**t jobs for free. Go put that on your resume and apply for a bottom position somewhere else, but hopefully they will pay you this time.

If you want to work for free, go and volunteer or do charity work. It will look better on your resume, and will feed your soul rather than drain it.

If you can afford to work for free, good for you. But don't tell people they shouldn't expect to be paid for their work. (Not you, this is to the people that write the articles).

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Are you rich?
Do you mean you saved up enough while on 100k, so that you owned your own home, and were set up to retire and look after your family after a few more months? Or did you win the lottery?

Either way, well done, and very nice of you to think of your family.
I'm currently trying to work out a way to help out my parents, and one of my siblings.
But I'm going to have to go through a bank, I don't have enough savings.

I still don't understand your point on working for free being the same as paying for a higher level education.
Yes, uni and schools even, are a business and have been for a long time. But they produce and educated 'you'. That is their product.

And other than art degrees, I don't know what uni degrees don't come with work experience.

If I came across someone with a uni degree, who's only job had been unpaid work, I'd question what was wrong with them, while hiring the guy with the higher average scores, who did better at the interview.
I'd take on the guy with a degree to do unpaid work. But it would be menial tasks.

If the unpaid guy *s anything up, I'm screwed, so I wouldn't put him in a position of anything even close to important.
Meanwhile, my valued and paid employee, I'll be giving the high end stuff to.

I don't have time to train someone. And I doubt any of my paid employees would want to train up some mug, to the point that he could possibly replace them one day.
And I tell you what, that guy could have the floors clean enough to eat from, and everyone in great spirits. But he still has no experience in the actual job he wants.

It just doesn't make any real sense in the real world.
I know they do it in America. And what a scam that is.
You need to interview and compete against a heap of people, to be treated like s**t, not get paid, and not even have a job at the end of it.
Who does unpaid work actually benefit?
It doesn't benefit anyone in the job you're undermining.
It doesn't benefit you, for the reasons I've explained.
It does benefit the person who doesn't need to employ a cleaner or receptionist, because you've taken a job away from them, to do it for free.

I didn't realise that I'm actually rather passionate about this subject.

And on your last point. It has nothing to do with being frightened to under value your skills or anything. It's about taking pride in yourself, and knowing that you are worth something.

Two choices.
Two guys straight out of uni. Same results, same degree, everything is identical.
Both applying for the same job.
One of them tells you that you don't need to pay them.

What would you honestly do?

I'd hire them both. Get the one with self respect to get to work, while I'd get the free labour to do menial tasks, and clean up after me.
If I was lazy and bad at my job, I'd probably get him to do stuff for me that might actually be above cleaning and things. But it means he is now learning from someone who is lazy and s**t at their job.

I'd value work experience on top of university (especially if completed hand in hand) any day over university alone.

picking on university rather than school, it not only requires hard work but you have to reach into your pocket to pay for the privilege to do hard work. It has become a business, with a massive disconnect between price and value for many subjects.

Working for nothing, with no end in mind is a waste of time. Although I didn't work for nothing, I gave up a job which paid up to $100k in the late 90s to return to university and accept a job that paid $35k (after 3 years on Austudy). After a couple of years and pay rises I gave up a $65k job for a $45k job. 18-24 months later I had enough to retire and another 18-24 later enough to support my parents, sister, her kids and probably their kids and the kids after that.

By not being frightened to go backward and not being frightened to under-value my skills, I was able to get myself in the right position at the right time. Position and timing is important......the rest is luck

Are you rich?
Do you mean you saved up enough while on 100k, so that you owned your own home, and were set up to retire and look after your family after a few more months? Or did you win the lottery?

Either way, well done, and very nice of you to think of your family.
I'm currently trying to work out a way to help out my parents, and one of my siblings.
But I'm going to have to go through a bank, I don't have enough savings.

I still don't understand your point on working for free being the same as paying for a higher level education.
Yes, uni and schools even, are a business and have been for a long time. But they produce and educated 'you'. That is their product.

And other than art degrees, I don't know what uni degrees don't come with work experience.

If I came across someone with a uni degree, who's only job had been unpaid work, I'd question what was wrong with them, while hiring the guy with the higher average scores, who did better at the interview.
I'd take on the guy with a degree to do unpaid work. But it would be menial tasks.

If the unpaid guy ****s anything up, I'm screwed, so I wouldn't put him in a position of anything even close to important.
Meanwhile, my valued and paid employee, I'll be giving the high end stuff to.

I don't have time to train someone. And I doubt any of my paid employees would want to train up some mug, to the point that he could possibly replace them one day.
And I tell you what, that guy could have the floors clean enough to eat from, and everyone in great spirits. But he still has no experience in the actual job he wants.

It just doesn't make any real sense in the real world.
I know they do it in America. And what a scam that is.
You need to interview and compete against a heap of people, to be treated like s**t, not get paid, and not even have a job at the end of it.
Who does unpaid work actually benefit?
It doesn't benefit anyone in the job you're undermining.
It doesn't benefit you, for the reasons I've explained.
It does benefit the person who doesn't need to employ a cleaner or receptionist, because you've taken a job away from them, to do it for free.

I didn't realise that I'm actually rather passionate about this subject.

And on your last point. It has nothing to do with being frightened to under value your skills or anything. It's about taking pride in yourself, and knowing that you are worth something.

Two choices.
Two guys straight out of uni. Same results, same degree, everything is identical.
Both applying for the same job.
One of them tells you that you don't need to pay them.

What would you honestly do?

I'd hire them both. Get the one with self respect to get to work, while I'd get the free labour to do menial tasks, and clean up after me.
If I was lazy and bad at my job, I'd probably get him to do stuff for me that might actually be above cleaning and things. But it means he is now learning from someone who is lazy and s**t at their job.

I'll probably miss a few items responding from my phone but here goes....

It don't disagree with your comments, especially for low end jobs. I'll also add we are all shaped by our own experiences and perspective on life.

In regards to my personal position, I've been a founder in 3 businesses that have grown from a $400 piece of paper to over a billion (biggest $4.2b) and have three more in the pipeline if all goes well.

What got me there was an auto-immune disease effecting me and my sister. It is a strange recipe for success but it changed the way I experienced life and motivated me.

The motivation factor is my sister will die both young and a horrible death. Worse she will leave behind two kids and one who is showing signs of the auto immune disease. In response I decided to make serious coin.

The disease changed how I experienced life as it effected energy levels, the ability to see at times, the ability to read and write, the ability to walk at times (a more recent issue), etc etc.

I had good grades at school up to year ten and learned in a traditional way. Then the wheels fell off and I lost heaps of ground not being able to read. I was embarrassed and didn't tell anyone which probably was a blessing.

It becomes a long story from there but despite my comments about education, I have both science and commerce up my sleeve and a post grad in business. I achieved this by learning a different way. What I find wrong with most education and educated people, is it teaches people to identify risk and become risk adverse. Where I believe the best opportunities in life are treading where no one else will go.

An example of this is evidenced in my latest business venture. It started with young aborigines committing crimes in east perth. The police would lock them up and the justice system would release them as they were juveniles. We found out the root cause was, they were hungry as their parents pissed the money up sitting in the park. Our solution was a food van and suddenly the crime decreased.

This was relevant to mining as you always need social licence obtained by good relations and understanding.

We opened dialogue with Islamic rebels notorious with kidnap and murder in Mindanao. A high risk given it required a walk into their lair but a low risk for someone with poor health from my perspective. A couple of conversations, $750k in legal and vendor payments, $11k in the ground and I now have one of the greatest discoveries in recent times.

We've built education facilities and health facilities providing free services to women and children (men have to pay). Built a bottling plant for limes which we buy local lines at three times regional prices and sell into makati, to provide a legacy after we have gone.

All of this is achieved by paying the upper level less than their worth but a massive bonus system in excess of their worth but reflective of the value they created.

This last bit is the crux of my position. People should be valued on output rather than input. Everyone should strive to get into this position, deliver and be rewarded.

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors

It don't disagree with your comments, especially for low end jobs. I'll also add we are all shaped by our own experiences and perspective on life.

In regards to my personal position, I've been a founder in 3 businesses that have grown from a $400 piece of paper to over a billion (biggest $4.2b) and have three more in the pipeline if all goes well.

What got me there was an auto-immune disease effecting me and my sister. It is a strange recipe for success but it changed the way I experienced life and motivated me.

The motivation factor is my sister will die both young and a horrible death. Worse she will leave behind two kids and one who is showing signs of the auto immune disease. In response I decided to make serious coin.

The disease changed how I experienced life as it effected energy levels, the ability to see at times, the ability to read and write, the ability to walk at times (a more recent issue), etc etc.

I had good grades at school up to year ten and learned in a traditional way. Then the wheels fell off and I lost heaps of ground not being able to read. I was embarrassed and didn't tell anyone which probably was a blessing.

It becomes a long story from there but despite my comments about education, I have both science and commerce up my sleeve and a post grad in business. I achieved this by learning a different way. What I find wrong with most education and educated people, is it teaches people to identify risk and become risk adverse. Where I believe the best opportunities in life are treading where no one else will go.

An example of this is evidenced in my latest business venture. It started with young aborigines committing crimes in east perth. The police would lock them up and the justice system would release them as they were juveniles. We found out the root cause was, they were hungry as their parents pissed the money up sitting in the park. Our solution was a food van and suddenly the crime decreased.

This was relevant to mining as you always need social licence obtained by good relations and understanding.

We opened dialogue with Islamic rebels notorious with kidnap and murder in Mindanao. A high risk given it required a walk into their lair but a low risk for someone with poor health from my perspective. A couple of conversations, $750k in legal and vendor payments, $11k in the ground and I now have one of the greatest discoveries in recent times.

We've built education facilities and health facilities providing free services to women and children (men have to pay). Built a bottling plant for limes which we buy local lines at three times regional prices and sell into makati, to provide a legacy after we have gone.

All of this is achieved by paying the upper level less than their worth but a massive bonus system in excess of their worth but reflective of the value they created.

This last bit is the crux of my position. People should be valued on output rather than input. Everyone should strive to get into this position, deliver and be rewarded.
Wow, I feel a bit like I'm talking to a celebrity.

Thats incredible.
And you're very brave, I could never approach Islamic murderers.

I'll say you might have a little bit more experience running businesses and employing people than me. hehe.

I still don't think working for free is in anyones best interest. But I definitely respect your opinion.

Have you ever thought of writing a book?
Sounds a bit like Tony Stark from Iron man!
Except he was kidnapped by terrorists, and confronted the later with a suit of armor. Rather than just confronting them like you.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Data Entry? And you have a Ph.D.?
****s sake mate, use the obvious God given skills you have.
Don't waste the last however many years of study you've put in for a s**t menial job that you WILL get bored of.
I had to work my arse off getting a degree in finance many years ago after deferring Uni to do a plumbing apprenticeship. Many late nights doing pat time study that could've been handled if I'd just applied myself after high school and gone to uni.
Don't waste it mate, you will regret it.

What? What age are you living in?There are no jobs. Full stop. Period Explanation mark. Take what you get or start a business.

Degrees, skills, competence matters dick.

Take what you are given or shape the world to your ends.

The old rules (bullshit) you were sold is outdated.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

I can't be bothered with a detailed response so will say this.

Yours is the best post I've read all be it contradictory.

You realise on one hand a lot of people growing up were shown no respect/no affection and were seen as unwanted and has deeply scarred their lives. Hence the answers are what humanity deeply craves. Love, respect, a sense of purpose.

Yet you also acknowledge it is all about money as that is all the majortiy give a s**t about and it is impossible to come by. People can have all the education/start ups/knowledge in the world yet still fail and have no money/resources as we live in a limited world. So unless you are one of the chosen few/are popular can sell you are s**t out of luck.

The Islamic rebels would be better served with a decent root rather than Religion. Yet let the desert idiots worry about that.

The rest of the world needs to consider how we best provide for all and live in a cohesive society where needs are met and wants allocated appropriate to motivation and work.

Otherwise just go all in and release the dogs of war (circa 1915, 1939) which people don't want............................................Or do they??????????????????

I can't be bothered with a detailed response so will say this.

Yours is the best post I've read all be it contradictory.

You realise on one hand a lot of people growing up were shown no respect/no affection and were seen as unwanted and has deeply scarred their lives. Hence the answers are what humanity deeply craves. Love, respect, a sense of purpose.

Yet you also acknowledge it is all about money as that is all the majortiy give a s**t about and it is impossible to come by. People can have all the education/start ups/knowledge in the world yet still fail and have no money/resources as we live in a limited world. So unless you are one of the chosen few/are popular can sell you are s**t out of luck.

The Islamic rebels would be better served with a decent root rather than Religion. Yet let the desert idiots worry about that.

The rest of the world needs to consider how we best provide for all and live in a cohesive society where needs are met and wants allocated appropriate to motivation and work.

Otherwise just go all in and release the dogs of war (circa 1915, 1939) which people don't want............................................Or do they??????????????????

Love, respect, a sense of purpose!

that's what it is all about.

The example of Mindanao is best seen in pictures
upload_2016-10-28_19-59-4.jpeg

The bottom right is a google image of islamic rebels taking the city of Zamboanga to seige (google), the bottom left the army killing the terrorists (google), the top right the soldiers leading us to the edge of the jungle and leaving us to make our way on foot to the rebels camp.

It should be noted this all happened under the previous government who had a wishy washy policy and corrupt interests to keep families in power. In my opinion, this was a fertile ground for terrorism as they felt oppressed and disadvantaged.

Instead of fighting the rebels and causing more pain and angst, we simply sat down with them and asked them what they wanted. You could see the younger guys in the group getting excited as it was probably their first opportunity to slaughter a white guy but the older guys simply said "jobs, health, education, clean water, food" etc etc. We agreed to provide these things and explained that were heard the area was dangerous and would need "security" to protect us for people with guns. We noted they had guns and perhaps that made them qualified for the job!

We then came back with indigenous australians and village people from guinea and peru who explained how we operate and what happens in good times and bad times for the mining industry as managing expectations is important. 18 months later we had our title and was held up by the federal government as a role model mining company for creating peace in the area, with world's best practice environmental standards and paying tax (only one of three mining companies in the Philippines doing so).

We have a long way to go to be a serious mining venture but 30,000 tonnes at 60g/t Au eq with the goal of having 200,000 tonnes at 70g/t Au eq by March is not a bad start.

All it took was understanding what people want and applying the "east perth food van" principle to a problem.

Back