Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was reading Jeff Fenech saying that by the time Green steps in the ring v Mundine he will be 90kg and it will be dangerous for Mundine as he could seriously hurt.
A couple of questions
1.Would he stack on 7kg in a day?
2.If he did,would he be punching harder than the day before?

Was reading Jeff Fenech saying that by the time Green steps in the ring v Mundine he will be 90kg and it will be dangerous for Mundine as he could seriously hurt.
A couple of questions

It's just water, so if a fighter weighs say 185lbs after training, he would fight at 175, he basically dehydrates himself, weighs in at 175 and then rehydrates back to 185.

but basically all fighters do it unless they are going up to a bigger division, so you just fight in the division that's 5% or so below you're fighting weight.

So if Greene had to fight at the actual weight limit he would be dehydrated and weak because of it.

It's also dangerous which is why they have weight ins the day before.

A couple of questions

Fenech has an agenda here... like pushing Mundines odds out before placing a large wager on him to win. If not, then what he's said is a joke... He's okay with fighting Azumah Nelson at 50, but complains these guys are past it.

Yes, there will be a weight difference but if Mundine is 81- 83kg and Green 88kg on fight night, the weight difference won't decide the fight - both weights are still within the cruiserweight limit for a reason.

Danny won't come in at 90kg. He won't want to be too heavy... a heavier frame won't help his 43 year old legs and will make it harder to catch a quicker Mundine.

Green won't gain significant power after the weigh. Despite some low level opposition, Green hasn't knocked someone out since Paul Briggs in 2010... and Briggs threw that fight. Danny is slower and much less powerful these days.

Mundine may have been knocked out recently but Hatley hit him with everything and Mundine kept getting up before it was stopped... and Clottey has always been a very big puncher, and again Mundine took decent punishment and still wasn't stopped.

Because of his declining power Green has been more of a boxer and counter puncher in recent years, using his skills to etch wins out against lesser fighters by decision. Watch his fight against Watts:

If Green is less likely to knock Mundine out, then it comes down to who is the better boxer... Mundine is hands down the better boxer of the two and still much quicker than Green.

Put your money on Mundine by decision

EDIT: fighting in Adelaide in early Feb in an outdoor arena is ridiculous for two blokes in their 40's... likely to be 35 degree plus day temp, maybe even in the 40 +.

Last edited:
So this Sunday is the first time since De La Hoya fought Trinidad 17 years ago, that two undefeated, top 5 p4p fighters have fought while both are in their prime.

Pretty damming stat for boxing and unfortunately there is virtually no hype for what for me is the best fight there's been in years.

Only being shown in 4 pubs in Melbourne, so i guess ill be getting the ppv as i don't want to stream such a good fight. This is a classic boxer v puncher fight and a genuine 50/50.

Im hoping Kovalev can KO Ward but my head says Ward by close decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted Kovalev to win so biased but yeah. It was close, bell came at a good time in the 2nd. Credit to Ward though to keep going. Great stuff from both guys.

Watching it again I had kovalev winning 5 rounds clearly and Ward 2 and 5 that could go either way.

So if you give Ward all the close ones I guess it's a justifiable score but to give the guy with less power who's going backwards all the close rounds seems a little bias. I think the crowd had an influence.

Personally I think the scoring system needs to be updated, the fact that judges are encouraged not to give 10-10 rounds means they just pick a winner based on very little in close rounds and it scores the same as a clear dominant round.

I'd like to trial half points or something.

Watching it again I had kovalev winning 5 rounds clearly and Ward 2 and 5 that could go either way.

So if you give Ward all the close ones I guess it's a justifiable score but to give the guy with less power who's going backwards all the close rounds seems a little bias. I think the crowd had an influence.

Personally I think the scoring system needs to be updated, the fact that judges are encouraged not to give 10-10 rounds means they just pick a winner based on very little in close rounds and it scores the same as a clear dominant round.

I'd like to trial half points or something.

It's a good call that. It gets discussed in MMA a lot, where the fights are 3 or 5 rounds so a score is far more crucial whereas in a boxing match you'd reckon the better boxer becomes apparent after 12. I guess the point is that not all 10-9 rounds are created equal. If you win the round, either closely or by a wide margin it's 10-9 and if you get a knockdown it's 10-8 generally speaking, probably shouldn't be that way.

Amazed it was a unanimous decision.

While I don't think there's anyway Ward won 7 rounds, Kovalev made a huge error in backing off, (Perhaps a rumoured hand injury might have something to do with that).

Last edited:
Horn is fighting on the 10th. If he wins he could come up against Pacman. Arum said Horn needs to win

Horn is a live smoky against Pac. But as a boxing fan - I am not excited by that fight. Maybe as an Australian I could cheer Horn, but as a fan it don't do much for me. I like the prospect of Lomachenko fighting Gamboa. I think that is one of the fights to be made in the future. Also don't mind the possibility of a Charlo (Jermall) vs Golovkin fight (at 160). As for the bigger lads, Joshua Vs Klitschko should be an interesting battle - while it lasts. I know many people are writing big Wladimir off, but I think he will take that fight relatively easy. Joshua - as much as I like him as a person - isn't in the same league of Klitschko as a boxer.

Horn is a live smoky against Pac. But as a boxing fan - I am not excited by that fight. Maybe as an Australian I could cheer Horn, but as a fan it don't do much for me. I like the prospect of Lomachenko fighting Gamboa. I think that is one of the fights to be made in the future. Also don't mind the possibility of a Charlo (Jermall) vs Golovkin fight (at 160). As for the bigger lads, Joshua Vs Klitschko should be an interesting battle - while it lasts. I know many people are writing big Wladimir off, but I think he will take that fight relatively easy. Joshua - as much as I like him as a person - isn't in the same league of Klitschko as a boxer.

Intetesting. I like Horn... he's the best we've got right now, but for me Horn never fights PACman. Horn would need to beat probably two respected top notch welterweights (e.g. timothy Bradley and amir khan) in 2017... to be of enough interest and pay per view... and that's assuming pacman and mayweather don't fight late next year.... which is why I reckon pacman is still boxing.

Have heard of lomachenko, but yet to see him fight. Likewise Gambia. Think Golovkin beats the younger Charlo well... but in 24 months who knows?

Reckon you're right in thinking klitschko ought to be still favourite against Joshua. IF... Klitschko comes in fit and in good touch, he should do what he does so well: control the distance, throw very hard accurate punches whilst maintaining a good defence (I.e. not wildly swinging), and tie up his opponent as soon as his opponent comes in or klitscko feels the distance doesn't work for him (therefore controlling the fight tempo).

Several rounds of this happening repeatedly and Joshua would be in danger of physically fading out as he is really untested over 12 and losing the decision or getting stopped. Joshua to me is best suited trying to catch klitscko cold in rd 1 or 2, or of randomly landing a flush shot and pouncing on klitscko after that.

I'm intrigued at the match up though, and could easily be proved wrong.

Intetesting. I like Horn... he's the best we've got right now, but for me Horn never fights PACman. Horn would need to beat probably two respected top notch welterweights (e.g. timothy Bradley and amir khan) in 2017... to be of enough interest and pay per view... and that's assuming pacman and mayweather don't fight late next year.... which is why I reckon pacman is still boxing.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/...o/news-story/5407ede58b408379acd710a69d09cb6c

I eat my words! Congrats to Jeff Horn... regardless of the result he already looks a winner. How he got this fight having beaten nobody, I'll never know...

Pacman is still very fast, fit and powerfully; I give Jeff Horn bugger all chance, but go the Aussie!

I'm very excited by this. I feel as though even if Horn loses he still wins. He will probably head over to America after this. I'd be shattered if it's not in Australia. I'm waiting so I can book flights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back