Mega Thread Melbourne Cup 2016 and all Cup day racing discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers. Looking at that they haven't really done a lot. I always have this perception in my head that they've gone a lot closer to the placings than that.

The trainer of the 2006 quinella amazingly got it perfectly right first time where many others haven't. Bit of a mysterious chapter in the race's history due to the language differences. People here had Japanese racing on a pedestal for years afterwards, not unlike the initial impact of Vintage Crop's win.

The trainer of the 2006 quinella amazingly got it perfectly right first time where many others haven't. Bit of a mysterious chapter in the race's history due to the language differences. People here had Japanese racing on a pedestal for years afterwards, not unlike the initial impact of Vintage Crop's win.

The equine influenza "crisis" almost added to that mystery chapter as well IMO - we never got the chance to see whether their horses at that time were significantly better than ours, or whether Pop Rock and Delta Blues were an anomaly. As a racing fan first and foremost that still disappoints me.

Looks like the Europeans have been nibbling Big Orange, Wicklow and Secret Number on the fair last night.

I reckon Secret Number is a bit of a mug pick for the overseas punters - Europeans who think this is a handicap like the Ebor or County Hurdle where the idea is to get in as light as possible with limited exposure. In reality it's a glorified quality and most winners are black type horses coming through black type races

Mug punters lol. Just accept it's going to put in a good run and run third

The equine influenza "crisis" almost added to that mystery chapter as well IMO - we never got the chance to see whether their horses at that time were significantly better than ours, or whether Pop Rock and Delta Blues were an anomaly. As a racing fan first and foremost that still disappoints me.
They are enigmatic the Japanese runners. Lots of hype but not a lot of success. Ditto their efforts at Royal Ascot

They are enigmatic the Japanese runners. Lots of hype but not a lot of success. Ditto their efforts at Royal Ascot

And the Arc

I think their racing is still viewed as 'mysterious' by some so their horses get overrated a fair bit.

Cup day eh, spring is in the air.
Always a tough tough race.

I really think Jameka is the standout form-wise.
The one's i think will run the distance ok and are value ew or just place chances would be.

Qewy
Bondi Beach
Heartbreak City
Gallante (big odds)
Almandin

If i had to break down and try to predict the first 4 i'd say

1. Jameka
2. Bondi Beach
3. Gallante
4. Almandin

Cheers. Looking at that they haven't really done a lot. I always have this perception in my head that they've gone a lot closer to the placings than that.
you could look at it that way or you could look at it like Admire Rakti dropped dead, Fame Game was not given a chance as was Hokko Brave and there was 1 runner in between 2006 and 2014 Tokei trick who actually hit teh front with 300 to go but died.
also can look at it like 8 runners one 18/1 winner over 200% profit on turnover

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd;s pre race boast of beating the handicapper will bite if he doesn't win or even place!

you could look at it that way or you could look at it like Admire Rakti dropped dead, Fame Game was not given a chance as was Hokko Brave and there was 1 runner in between 2006 and 2014 Tokei trick who actually hit teh front with 300 to go but died.
also can look at it like 8 runners one 18/1 winner over 200% profit on turnover
Delta Blues was my last Cup winner. Got the tri that year as well. Since then its been donuts unfortunately.

Turning it around this year though.

Everyone must be reading Bigfooty! Not much chatter about Almandin at all other than the last couple of days. I think some are getting carried away

Seems to be an informed underground push, $17 into $11 on TAB fixed since yesterday. Getting the best of the market is a good feeling, the rest is up to the horse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back