Electronic Music Thread

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
gai barone is the best thing to happen in prog since forever.

edit:
fpcookie
hey man! i have no idea what you listened to back in the day (or what you're into now), but i hope this is in the ballpark somewhere. good luck on saturday!

Last edited:
gai barone is the best thing to happen in prog since forever.

edit:
fpcookie
hey man! i have no idea what you listened to back in the day (or what you're into now), but i hope this is in the ballpark somewhere. good luck on saturday!

Dude... I never saw this post!! Things were absolutely mental time for a few weeks back there (travelling around for the finals) so must have missed the notification! Just by chance I had a look in here today and saw your post. Normally I very, very rarely look in the music folder. Ty for the well wishes btw, worked out well haha :D

I'm in to pretty much anything electronic these days although not as fanatic about it as I used to be back in the TA days (when I mostly liked trance ith less range - trance only haha). Now I just kinda know the names without really listening to many tracks, so I probably tend towards the older DJs. Definitely love some prog. Gai Barrone is quality. Guy J, D-Nox&Beckers, Hernan, etc. I'm into a lot of the more psychedelic type sounds as well, whether that's trance, chill (like the post above yours), techno, etc. DnB/breaks are still great when you hear em out and about. Really, there's stuff from every genre that I like (and a lot that I don't, as really most of it s**t). My favourite is still good old prog trance though (that perfect blend of melody/groove/'deepness') so I dig stuff like Atmos, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Phaxe (think he's gone off a bit lately though), Solar Fields' more bangin stuff, etc.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dude... I never saw this post!! Things were absolutely mental time for a few weeks back there (travelling around for the finals) so must have missed the notification! Just by chance I had a look in here today and saw your post. Normally I very, very rarely look in the music folder. Ty for the well wishes btw, worked out well haha :D

ha! as long as you won the footy, that's all that matters!! :)

I'm in to pretty much anything electronic these days although not as fanatic about it as I used to be back in the TA days (when I mostly liked trance ith less range - trance only haha).

lol, describes me to a tee! i still search for the best melodies, but most of the time i'm not finding them in trance (or at least not the epic stuff that brought me to TA). system-j made a post a while back and i realised i had been listening to melodic techno o_O (apparently that's a thing!). i thought it was just, you know, "prog but good" :D

Now I just kinda know the names without really listening to many tracks, so I probably tend towards the older DJs. Definitely love some prog. Gai Barrone is quality. Guy J, D-Nox&Beckers, Hernan, etc. I'm into a lot of the more psychedelic type sounds as well, whether that's trance, chill (like the post above yours), techno, etc. DnB/breaks are still great when you hear em out and about. Really, there's stuff from every genre that I like (and a lot that I don't, as really most of it s**t). My favourite is still good old prog trance though (that perfect blend of melody/groove/'deepness') so I dig stuff like Atmos, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Phaxe (think he's gone off a bit lately though), Solar Fields' more bangin stuff, etc.

nice tune! i'll start looking up some of those artists. i spend way too much time shopping for tracks. you know, with red wine. so much s**t to trawl through.

ha! as long as you won the footy, that's all that matters!! :)

lol, describes me to a tee! i still search for the best melodies, but most of the time i'm not finding them in trance (or at least not the epic stuff that brought me to TA). system-j made a post a while back and i realised i had been listening to melodic techno o_O (apparently that's a thing!). i thought it was just, you know, "prog but good" :D

nice tune! i'll start looking up some of those artists. i spend way too much time shopping for tracks. you know, with red wine. so much s**t to trawl through.
Haha melodic techno definitely a thing... I'm not really into heaps of techno (zzz) but most of the stuff I do like would probably fit in here.

Check out this guy Peter Dundov (you might already know of him)
Some of his tracks are pretty much straight up trance:

but his sets are suuuuuper melodic techno (about as melodic as techno could get IMO):

Also this guy Cid Inc is pretty good. Kinda crosses the like between techno and prog (fairly melodic):

Disclaimer: haven't listened to any of these sets, as I said I just go off names these days so I just pulled the first links I found. If they're s**t, it means their new stuff isn't like their old stuff :p

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Wow.....You've got all of my favourites there.

This may not be your bag but William Basinski's Disintegration Tapes/Loops are brilliant.
Sounds so boring initially but the longer they go on the more subtleties you find and begin to love.

I feel anything else I'd put forward, you'd be well aware of: Darkside/Nicholas Jaar, Nils Frahm, Oneohtrix Point Never........you'll know all these.

Some older albums I still have a lot of time for are: Global Communications 76.14, Plaid (a couple of albums) Fennesz

Oneohtrix Point Never is fantastic. Been really digging that. I've been listening to Jaar for a while now, but I'm a fan.

Really happy I revisited this thread as there's a couple in there I've missed.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Can anybody recommend anything that sounds like Tim Hecker?
Maybe some Fennesz, Haxan Cloak, Ben Frost, Emeralds.

All kinda rugged ambient stuff.

Pitchfork did a 'Greatest 50 Ambient Albums Ever' list a few months back that might be worth a read too, if you haven't already.

Also this:

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
BUMP!!!!!!!!

Been listening to some hardcore industrial lately (As opposed to normal industrial)

Your neighbors will hate you 4 ever if you blast this loud. :thumbsu:

Anyone go to Babylon Festival? Looked like an awesome lineup. Luke Slater and Speedy J are playing a gig in North Melbourne tomorrow night too.

Looking forward to catching Carl Cox & Adam Beyer next month. Been waiting for Beyer to come back for ages

Back