Toast Ruggles delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen House...but a few posters like him....any thoughts?
Think Mitch Brown type build - better overhead, as good a kick, but missing the tank.

He marks everything and the MB parallel is more on the current physique than the ability to play. And House will go for everything where as Mitch Brown would think twice. There is alot to like with House - consistency is an issue and that is tank related as well. Lots of work to do but for a rookie pick -worth the ping IMO.

Go Catters

Think Mitch Brown type build - better overhead, as good a kick, but missing the tank.

He marks everything and the MB parallel is more on the current physique than the ability to play. And House will go for everything where as Mitch Brown would think twice. There is alot to like with House - consistency is an issue and that is tank related as well. Lots of work to do but for a rookie pick -worth the ping IMO.

Go Catters

House is a nice size. Heavier than Brown Daz, and well built. He was training with the seniors at the "open session" on the Saturday before the Prelim final and up close he looked bigger (more strongly built) than I thought from the Hickey stand.

His standout skill is his marking. Very sticky fingers and can work out the flight of the ball in travel well to get into good position. A good kick for goal.
Reminds me of the younger McGovern (Adelaide). Thats how I would see him playing - not big KPF but a good third "floating" tall forward.

As Daz said I pressed the business about the lackof endurance. He has a habit of walking with his hands on his hips which made him look blown out after each effort. As the season went on he stayed in the game for longer so maybe he is not as bad in that department as I had thought. Just an illusion. In any case a tank can be built. Sticky fingers not so.

The club will know his running abilities. Thats the advantage we have with a few of these promising VFL types.

I hope we add him to our list.

If I'm not mistaken he wasn't invited to the state combine (have to be nominated by 3 clubs) and that means can't be a ND selection but can be rookied
That is correct isn't it Pure_Ownage

Looks to me to be more of a leading forward as opposed to a bustling pack mark forward. I think endurance is a weakness but of faults a player can have that'd surely be one of the most fixable? 194cm which is a good size and his hands are pretty good from what I've seen of him. catswhiskers would have seen him far more than I though.
I'm not sure that's correct mate. He's available to be drafted in the ND if we see fit.

Go Catters

Agree with all of this.
Has some of Browns ability to go with the desire of Walker however, as you said, he lacks the tank to contribute consistently.
2 hard working pre-seasons should see him give AFL a fair shake, if he wants it.

House is a nice size. Heavier than Brown Daz, and well built. He was training with the seniors at the "open session" on the Saturday before the Prelim final and up close he looked bigger (more strongly built) than I thought from the Hickey stand.

His standout skill is his marking. Very sticky fingers and can work out the flight of the ball in travel well to get into good position. A good kick for goal.
Reminds me of the younger McGovern (Adelaide). Thats how I would see him playing - not big KPF but a good third "floating" tall forward.

As Daz said I pressed the business about the lackof endurance. He has a habit of walking with his hands on his hips which made him look blown out after each effort. As the season went on he stayed in the game for longer so maybe he is not as bad in that department as I had thought. Just an illusion. In any case a tank can be built. Sticky fingers not so.

The club will know his running abilities. Thats the advantage we have with a few of these promising VFL types.

I hope we add him to our list.
Yeah I hope we add him too. Great assessment of him by the way. I could see him maybe being big enough for a KPF though.
I'm preety sure he did a GFL pre-season so that would have put him behind all year.

Yeah I hope we add him too. Great assessment of him by the way. I could see him maybe being big enough for a KPF though.
I'm preety sure he did a GFL pre-season so that would have put him behind all year.

This is a strange observation on my part but at that Open training morning he looked much bigger. That big mop of curly hair was replaced by a short backnsides - all of a sudden he looked big even among the AFL listers. Ha. So maybe. KPF is not unreasonable .

The GFL preseason news would be correct I think so there is quite a bit of upside. If he can get into space not many will out mark him one on one.

If I'm not mistaken he wasn't invited to the state combine (have to be nominated by 3 clubs) and that means can't be a ND selection but can be rookied

Looks to me to be more of a leading forward as opposed to a bustling pack mark forward. I think endurance is a weakness but of faults a player can have that'd surely be one of the most fixable? 194cm which is a good size and his hands are pretty good from what I've seen of him. catswhiskers would have seen him far more than I though.

Nah it measures level of interest but there is no rule barring selection. Because you have to have I think 3-4 nominations to get a national combine invite and 2 to get a state combine invite it shows clubs are more likely to draft you which is why Stewart is the most likely of our vfl guys to get drafted in the ND but providing you nominate for the ND anyone can get drafted in the ND there is no restriction so House can get drafted anywhere, I still think he won't go before the rookie draft though.

My understanding of the eligibility rules is that if a player is invited to the draft combine, they must attend unless they have a reason, but players not invited can still be drafted.

I'm a big fan of Ruggles and think he'll keep improving with more work at the club and I think the club has done well to find some small defenders and small forwards. We really struggled to find some decent players for those positions for a couple of years but there's enough there that we should have options at either end.

I'm putting all my faith in him this year. It's up to him to replace Scarlo and get us to a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big fan of Ruggles and think he'll keep improving with more work at the club and I think the club has done well to find some small defenders and small forwards. We really struggled to find some decent players for those positions for a couple of years but there's enough there that we should have options at either end.

I agree-Ruggles (rookie) Bews (pick 86) McCarthy (pick 66) and Gregson (pick 47) all look like they will be good value late selections in those positions.

Gees you guys are getting carried away on House. He'd be a lot more likely to get looked over then drafted.

Sticky hands aside he's pretty meh as a prospect.

He'd struggle to make the distance kicking a set shot with a man on the mark at 45.
His athleticism is pretty underwhelming some of it maybe a result of his poor tank but I don't think he is very fast sprinter, and I'm not sure if he doesn't jump or if he just can't jump very high.

Gees you guys are getting carried away on House. He'd be a lot more likely to get looked over then drafted.

Sticky hands aside he's pretty meh as a prospect.

He'd struggle to make the distance kicking a set shot with a man on the mark at 45.
His athleticism is pretty underwhelming some of it maybe a result of his poor tank but I don't think he is very fast sprinter, and I'm not sure if he doesn't jump or if he just can't jump very high.

We'll find out fairly soon I guess. That kicking observation is not something I have noticed - if true he will be playing GFL again next year!

Our past record suggests we will only go a couple of state leaguers at the most. So he will have had to impress those that count. His biggest slice of luck is he is the type of player we don't have and do need.

Rugger! Love the fact that in his first year he wacked/instigated/harrassed more small forwards I have seen in a while, whilst getting plenty of the ball.

Looking for cleaner disposal from him next year, to add to his already creative and ball winning strengths.

Hayball was held back early in the year. I am pretty sure he didn't play any of the practice matches and started off the bench in the first few games. I suspect they were a little worried about his very slight build.

When he played tho he showed he has a very good left foot. He pulled off some very difficult kicks into traffic in the middle of the ground (see replay V Box Hill Ch 7) and generally used it well. Has a right foot , its limited but better than Murdoch or Byrnes have ever shown.

In the end he played 15 games, 11 goals - no injury problems, looked lively enough and has a jump on him. Was played forward early but was moved deeper later on. I think they see him as another possible distributor. I don't think he lacks confidence either - I hope they don't coach that out of him.

Hopefully the conditioning types have him bulking up a fair bit over summer. Still a long way to go but something to work with there.

Hayball was held back early in the year. I am pretty sure he didn't play any of the practice matches and started off the bench in the first few games. I suspect they were a little worried about his very slight build.

When he played tho he showed he has a very good left foot. He pulled off some very difficult kicks into traffic in the middle of the ground (see replay V Box Hill Ch 7) and generally used it well. Has a right foot , its limited but better than Murdoch or Byrnes have ever shown.

In the end he played 15 games, 11 goals - no injury problems, looked lively enough and has a jump on him. Was played forward early but was moved deeper later on. I think they see him as another possible distributor. I don't think he lacks confidence either - I hope they don't coach that out of him.

Hopefully the conditioning types have him bulking up a fair bit over summer. Still a long way to go but something to work with there.

I'm hoping for a Hartman style development. He could be as much as 10 kgs heavier by the halfway point of next year then he was when he arrived at the club.

My nickname for Tom Ruggles is "Butcher", because that is what he does with the ball.

Occasionally his foot skills let him down...not unusual for a first year player...but in reality, he is generally a good disposer of the football.to his team mates. I suspect he'll be better next season and certainly deserves his upgrading to the main list. Has a bit of mongrel in him too which won't go astray.

You're being very harsh on him.

Occasionally his foot skills let him down...not unusual for a first year player...but in reality, he is generally a good disposer of the football.to his team mates. I suspect he'll be better next season and certainly deserves his upgrading to the main list. Has a bit of mongrel in him too which won't go astray.

You're being very harsh on him.

And when he does mess up he generally goes nuts in the next few minutes to make amends for what ever mess he made. He never lets a mistake put him off his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back