Kooyong Classic 10th to 13th January 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently they have added a woman's body event. Thoughts?

Yeah why not, I did hear they were looking at trying a different format in 2017 for the mens event. Reducing it down to two games in four days rather than three but I don't know how you do that with a field of 8.

To get Tomic away from Sydney is a good get for the event.

Yeah why not, I did hear they were looking at trying a different format in 2017 for the mens event. Reducing it down to two games in four days rather than three but I don't know how you do that with a field of 8.

To get Tomic away from Sydney is a good get for the event.
Will definitely head down now.

Day one schedule:
Coric v Whittington
Cirstea v Aiava
Simon v Gasquet
Haas v Karlovic

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't see the point in this event? 15 years ago I went and the field included Agassi, Sampras, Rafter, Kafelnikov, amongst other stars at the time. It was well attended and the tennis was good. Now they basically get anyone they can, with journeyman Aussies to try and attract interest.

Anyone know why it's still persisted with? And I hate how every year we view this on TV rather than an actual tour event in Sydney. I'd rather even see Hobart!!

Well I like it (helps that I get free tickets every year ;)). It's just another option for the players to warm up before the AO, and being in Melbourne it will help them acclimatise. I agree the field is a bit hit and miss, more miss than hit this year although Aiava will attract some attention. I can't go this year due to health problems but it's actually a great low key event to attend and you can get a lot closer to the play than you can at the main courts at the AO in many cases.

Edit: Having said all that I am also surprised they show it on TV ahead of Sydney. It would be better to have Sydney on one channel and Kooyong on the other like they do when The Hopman Cup is on.

Last edited:
The immediate lead-up week to the AO has really taken a hit in the last decade. I guess the Slams are just too grueling these days, players would rather have a week off beforehand rather than play another tune-up event.

It is a shame because Sydney and Kooyong have so much of Australia's tennis history between them.

The immediate lead-up week to the AO has really taken a hit in the last decade. I guess the Slams are just too grueling these days, players would rather have a week off beforehand rather than play another tune-up event.

It is a shame because Sydney and Kooyong have so much of Australia's tennis history between them.
yeah. Sydney should really have a bigger tennis event. The womens field is great but that mens field.......some decent players play in Auckland still but it is really lacking the big big names.

compare that to the Brisbane event the week before. those quarters could have easily been a masters field.

Gasquet is out with abdominal issue and Janowicz has stepped up to play.

Day two schedule:
Youzhny v Whittington
Tomic v Goffin
Nishioka v Janowicz
Wickmayer v Wang

Tsonga playing Coric in an exhibition match down there today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schedule for today:
Tomic v Simon
Karlovic v Goffin
Cirstea v Wickmayer

Remember when it was the elite of the elite in tennis that played in this tournament every year

You could say the same for Sydney and that's a tournament that's older than the Australian Open whereas the traditionally mens-only Kooyong Classic, as an alternative lead-up, was born out of the Aus Open's change of venue from Kooyong to Melbourne Park (formerly Flinders Park). The interest in watching live tennis (outside of the Aus Open) is just not the same as it once was and you just can't expect to depend on guys like Roger and Rafa to bring in the punters.

You could say the same for Sydney and that's a tournament that's older than the Australian Open whereas the traditionally mens-only Kooyong Classic, as an alternative lead-up, was born out of the Aus Open's change of venue from Kooyong to Melbourne Park (formerly Flinders Park). The interest in watching live tennis (outside of the Aus Open) is just not the same as it once was and you just can't expect to depend on guys Who arent like Roger and Rafa to bring in the punters.

edited for accuracy. the Hopman and Brisbane events(as well as Auckland for Serena) showed that the top top players still sell tickets at any event they play in.

edited for accuracy. the Hopman and Brisbane events(as well as Auckland for Serena) showed that the top top players still sell tickets at any event they play in.

Agreed. What I meant to say was you just can't expect to depend only on guys like Roger and Rafa to bring in the punters - it is an over-reliance.

The casual fan will only come out for those "top top players" because there has been so much focus on those few players for so long. That's why the ATP is forcing #NEXTGEN down our throats while the WTA have it in their heads that Bouchard is the next Sharapova :rolleyes:

I don't think you necessarily need the very top players to bring a decent crowd, but you do need some recognisable names.

At least in my lifetime, Sydney has never attracted the very top ATP players (if they played at all that week, they tended to play Kooyong). But up until 10 years ago you'd maybe get 1 or 2 top 10 guys to headline and a bunch of top 20, which made for a solid field.

I don't necessarily blame the tournament for this, think it's just scheduling. Nowadays it seems the trend for the better players to play the first week of the season, then take a break before the AO.

For Kooyong too the weather is a factor. Yesterday was a bit of a joke as all matches were reduced to one set as they barely got any play in due to rain. My sister was planning to go yesterday but didn't bother in the end as she figured they would be sitting around most of the day waiting for the rain to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back