Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking one of your boy Stengle, Kym Lebois, Narkle, Jarmaine Jones, maybe even Jamie Hampton with a late pick. Parfitt maybe at 43??
Would absolutely love to get Stengle. Parfitt and Narkle I actually see becoming midfielders long-term, could be possibilities for later picks, though. Really like Narkle in particular. Jones I don't mind the sound of.

Someone said we had interviewed Sam Fisher from the GWS academy - maybe an unmatched bid on him is on the cards???

Okay so now that Jarman is definitely off the cards, what do we think our options are looking like at 43 and 53.

Do we take mids with 13 and 43 and then look at a KPP with 67?
43 will be a mid as plenty good ones likely to be there

If a Himmelberg happened to be here we would consider

As mentioned earlier
Lipinski Drew Poholke Begley and even Parfitt live options ( maybe Sharenberg as well )

Would absolutely love to get Stengle. Parfitt and Narkle I actually see becoming midfielders long-term, could be possibilities for later picks, though. Really like Narkle in particular. Jones I don't mind the sound of.

Someone said we had interviewed Sam Fisher from the GWS academy - maybe an unmatched bid on him is on the cards???
Hope not re Fisher . More a rookie type IMO

Where has this "Jarman off the cards" stuff come from? Hadn't heard anything like that until now...

Well he's not really off the cards. I'm assuming that the club rates quite a few ahead of him. Interested to hear who posters might think they may be.

43 will be a mid as plenty good ones likely to be there

If a Himmelberg happened to be here we would consider

As mentioned earlier
Lipinski Drew Poholke Begley and even Parfitt live options ( maybe Sharenberg as well )
He sounds very intriguing ....197cm and growing, aggressive player with good marking prowess

Draft order is finalised.

We've got picks 13, 43, 53, 66, 82 and 90
So unless we use all the late picks we go in a player or players short.

Emma Quayle said she expects about 65-70 players to get selected so our last couple of picks may end up a little bit higher.

So unless we use all the late picks we go in a player or players short.

Emma Quayle said she expects about 65-70 players to get selected so our last couple of picks may end up a little bit higher.
I personally would be surprised if 26 selections are passed on (there's 96 in total), but who knows.

At this stage, I'm expecting us to use five selections at the least. Would personally like us to use six, but I don't know if we'll do that or not

Forgot Dan Allsop too, probably the best performed "small" Forward in the TAC Comp with 29 goals from around 10 games and runner up to Hugh McCluggage in the Morrish Medal.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...-draft-wrap-allsop-not-invited-combine-chance

One of his goals in this highlights package from the TAC...

Danger in Texas

b717906e64b7e51c63389c85a380a4e5

AFL draft prospect Tyson Stengle at Port Adelaide Football Club, where he is part of the club's Aboriginal Academy program. Picture: Sarah Reed
AFL Draft News
Excitement is in the blood for brilliant small forward Tyson Stengle
a2214f8a6790616230eea2b380d1328f

ANDREW CAPEL, The Advertiser
November 18, 2016 6:30pm
Subscriber only

IT is all in the blood for Woodville-West Torrens excitement machine Tyson Stengle.

Few footballers have such a pedigree as the 171cm pocket rocket.

Stengle is related to Crows star Eddie Betts, former Sydney 303-game star Michael O’Loughlin and ex-Crow Ricky O’Loughlin, along with former Saint Terry Milera, who is now at Glenelg.

And while Michael O’Loughlin has been his biggest role model, Stengle makes no bones about who he is modelling his game on.

“I want to be like Eddie,’’ the brilliant indigenous small forward said.

“My game is probably based around what he does because I’m the same height and I like to run, jump and tackle.

“I watch a lot of him play and try to take things from his game to put into mine.’’

With brilliant skills, blistering pace and a love of tackling and applying ferocious forward pressure, Stengle could be the nearest thing to Betts in this year’s AFL draft crop.

A Year 12 student at Le Fevre High School and a member of Port Adelaide’s AFL Aboriginal Academy, along with fellow Croweater and small forward draft prospect Kym LeBois from North Adelaide, Stengle is ranked by Champion Data as SA’s fourth-best prospect.

He averaged the second-most Champion Data ranking points (104) of any small forward at the national under-18 championships and ranked first for ground ball-gets inside 50 (four).

Stengle also ranked inside the top 10 at the goalkicking test at the AFL draft combine.

He illustrated his goalkicking prowess by kicking 22 goals in 10 reserves matches for the Eagles last season while also booting 13 in nine under-18 games.

Stengle said watching his heralded relatives excel on the football field has motivated him to follow in their footsteps.

“Watching them play, being around them and having them offer me some advice has really made me want to get the best out of myself,’’ he said.

“I’ve worked really hard on my football and being with the Port academy this year has helped me to become more professional on and off the field.

“Following in the footsteps of Michael, Eddie and the other boys and getting drafted would be a dream come true, so hopefully things go my way.’’

Twelve AFL clubs have interviewed Stengle in the lead-up to next Friday’s national draft.

PRIDE OF SA
Tyson Stengle

Woodville-West Torrens

18, 171cm, 69kg

Small forward

STICKS SAYS
“Tyson has a really nice feel for the game, which is something that is hard to teach. He’s got some genuine tricks, finishes for goal nicely and is so evasive that he is hard to tackle, like Adelaide’s Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron.’’

- SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips.

DRAFT RANGE
51-70

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger in Texas

AFL draft prospect Tyson Stengle at Port Adelaide Football Club, where he is part of the club's Aboriginal Academy program. Picture: Sarah Reed
AFL Draft News

Subscriber only

IT is all in the blood for Woodville-West Torrens excitement machine Tyson Stengle.

Stengle is related to Crows star Eddie Betts, former Sydney 303-game star Michael O’Loughlin and ex-Crow Ricky O’Loughlin, along with former Saint Terry Milera, who is now at Glenelg.

And while Michael O’Loughlin has been his biggest role model, Stengle makes no bones about who he is modelling his game on.

“My game is probably based around what he does because I’m the same height and I like to run, jump and tackle.

“I watch a lot of him play and try to take things from his game to put into mine.’’

With brilliant skills, blistering pace and a love of tackling and applying ferocious forward pressure, Stengle could be the nearest thing to Betts in this year’s AFL draft crop.

A Year 12 student at Le Fevre High School and a member of Port Adelaide’s AFL Aboriginal Academy, along with fellow Croweater and small forward draft prospect Kym LeBois from North Adelaide, Stengle is ranked by Champion Data as SA’s fourth-best prospect.

He averaged the second-most Champion Data ranking points (104) of any small forward at the national under-18 championships and ranked first for ground ball-gets inside 50 (four).

Stengle also ranked inside the top 10 at the goalkicking test at the AFL draft combine.

He illustrated his goalkicking prowess by kicking 22 goals in 10 reserves matches for the Eagles last season while also booting 13 in nine under-18 games.

Stengle said watching his heralded relatives excel on the football field has motivated him to follow in their footsteps.

“Watching them play, being around them and having them offer me some advice has really made me want to get the best out of myself,’’ he said.

“I’ve worked really hard on my football and being with the Port academy this year has helped me to become more professional on and off the field.

“Following in the footsteps of Michael, Eddie and the other boys and getting drafted would be a dream come true, so hopefully things go my way.’’

Twelve AFL clubs have interviewed Stengle in the lead-up to next Friday’s national draft.

PRIDE OF SA
Tyson Stengle

Woodville-West Torrens

18, 171cm, 69kg

Small forward

STICKS SAYS
“Tyson has a really nice feel for the game, which is something that is hard to teach. He’s got some genuine tricks, finishes for goal nicely and is so evasive that he is hard to tackle, like Adelaide’s Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron.’’

DRAFT RANGE
51-70
What better way to become like Eddie than to learn under him, I say :) Seems like a very determined kid too, which is good.

Brothers’ knee woes put midfield ball magnet Jonty Scharenberg under the microscope
e4331359611b8a2f926da22e6d1d87a7

ANDREW CAPEL
, The Advertiser
Subscriber only

FOR a footballer who has largely had a clean bill of health, Jonty Scharenberg feels like somewhat of a guinea pig.

He has been pushed, prodded and tested more than any other prospective AFL recruit who hasn’t had a serious injury.

At last month’s AFL draft combine, clubs wanted to be reassured his knees were structurally sound ... despite the fact that he’s never had an issue with them.

“They all had a look at my knees and the medical screenings,’’ the Glenelg midfield ball magnet said.

“They asked about my history and whether my parents and any other family members had issues with their knees.

“It’s all a bit annoying but I try not to let it stress me out and just concentrate on playing good footy.

“The screenings showed my knees were fine.’’

Scharenberg, 18, was under the microscope because both of his older brothers have been cut down by torn anterior cruciate ligaments, requiring knee reconstructions.

Matthew, 21, drafted at pick six by Collingwood in 2013, has had both knees rebuilt since he’s been at the Magpies, costing him the entire 2016 season and restricting him to just four AFL games in three years.

Jake, 24, suffered a knee reconstruction while playing for amateur league club PHOS Camden last year.

Their injuries have led to AFL clubs believing there could be a genetic link and dropping him down their draft pecking order but Jonty is having none of it.

“I’m sure it’s just bad luck,’’ he said.

7a0a00084846de825414efb0a7c5e092

Hard at it . Jonty Scharenberg handballs for the Michael O'Loughlin under-18s during the NAB All Stars match in September. Picture: Quinn Rooney (Getty Images)
“When you play games or even at training you can land awkwardly and things can go wrong but you can’t do much about that, it does come down to a bit of a bad luck.’’

Scharenberg, however, is doing what he can to avoid a similar fate to his brothers.

He spends a few minutes before and after training and matches undertaking extra leg exercises to help build up his muscles to take some of the pressure off his knees, after being handed an ACL prevention program through the AFL Academy.

“Anything that might help me avoid going through what my brothers have will be worth it,’’ said Scharenberg, a former Australian under-age baseball star.

The youngest sibling is a different player and personality to Matthew, who is 5cm taller and 7kg heavier.

“Jonty and Matty are like chalk and cheese in the way they play and with their personality traits,’’ said SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips, who coached them both with the SA under-18s.

“Matty obviously played taller and was a pretty intense type of character, a bit uptight in lots of ways.

“Jonty is far more laid-back and relaxed and takes everything in his stride. But both are beauties.’’

Matthew is powerful and can hold down a key position while Jonty is an inside midfielder with clean and quick hands who is still a good size at 186cm and 80kg.

He is a ball hunter who loves winning the footy in tight and models his game on Sydney star Josh Kennedy.

“Jonty is amazing in that you don’t really notice him that much (in games) until you go to the stats sheet and see that he has had more of the ball than you probably give him credit for,’’ Phillips said.

“He just finds a way to find the ball and distribute it, whether that’s playing at Immanuel College, in the Glenelg league team or in the State under-18s.’’

Scharenberg became the Tigers’ fourth-youngest league player when he debuted at age 16 years, 246 days against Norwood in round five last year — Carlton’s Bryce Gibbs is the youngest Glenelg debutant at 16 years, 53 days in 2005.

He has played nine league games and earned All-Australian selection at this year’s national under-18 championships after averaging 24 disposals, six tackles and five clearances.

Scharenberg, who has learnt all about work ethic and resilience by watching Matthew’s struggles — “it’s been eye-opening watching what he’s been through and the obstacles he’s had to overcome,’’ he says — also was best afield in the Tigers’ under-18 SANFL grand final win against North Adelaide with 34 disposals, including 14 contested, and 12 tackles.

Once considered a possible top-10 pick, Scharenberg’s lack of pace and finesse could see him slip into the second round but he will be a rock-solid selection for the club that secures him

Brothers’ knee woes put midfield ball magnet Jonty Scharenberg under the microscope

ANDREW CAPEL
, The Advertiser
Subscriber only

FOR a footballer who has largely had a clean bill of health, Jonty Scharenberg feels like somewhat of a guinea pig.

He has been pushed, prodded and tested more than any other prospective AFL recruit who hasn’t had a serious injury.

At last month’s AFL draft combine, clubs wanted to be reassured his knees were structurally sound ... despite the fact that he’s never had an issue with them.

“They all had a look at my knees and the medical screenings,’’ the Glenelg midfield ball magnet said.

“They asked about my history and whether my parents and any other family members had issues with their knees.

“It’s all a bit annoying but I try not to let it stress me out and just concentrate on playing good footy.

“The screenings showed my knees were fine.’’

Scharenberg, 18, was under the microscope because both of his older brothers have been cut down by torn anterior cruciate ligaments, requiring knee reconstructions.

Matthew, 21, drafted at pick six by Collingwood in 2013, has had both knees rebuilt since he’s been at the Magpies, costing him the entire 2016 season and restricting him to just four AFL games in three years.

Jake, 24, suffered a knee reconstruction while playing for amateur league club PHOS Camden last year.

Their injuries have led to AFL clubs believing there could be a genetic link and dropping him down their draft pecking order but Jonty is having none of it.

“I’m sure it’s just bad luck,’’ he said.

7a0a00084846de825414efb0a7c5e092

Hard at it . Jonty Scharenberg handballs for the Michael O'Loughlin under-18s during the NAB All Stars match in September. Picture: Quinn Rooney (Getty Images)
“When you play games or even at training you can land awkwardly and things can go wrong but you can’t do much about that, it does come down to a bit of a bad luck.’’

Scharenberg, however, is doing what he can to avoid a similar fate to his brothers.

He spends a few minutes before and after training and matches undertaking extra leg exercises to help build up his muscles to take some of the pressure off his knees, after being handed an ACL prevention program through the AFL Academy.

“Anything that might help me avoid going through what my brothers have will be worth it,’’ said Scharenberg, a former Australian under-age baseball star.

The youngest sibling is a different player and personality to Matthew, who is 5cm taller and 7kg heavier.

“Jonty and Matty are like chalk and cheese in the way they play and with their personality traits,’’ said SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips, who coached them both with the SA under-18s.

“Matty obviously played taller and was a pretty intense type of character, a bit uptight in lots of ways.

“Jonty is far more laid-back and relaxed and takes everything in his stride. But both are beauties.’’

Matthew is powerful and can hold down a key position while Jonty is an inside midfielder with clean and quick hands who is still a good size at 186cm and 80kg.

He is a ball hunter who loves winning the footy in tight and models his game on Sydney star Josh Kennedy.

“Jonty is amazing in that you don’t really notice him that much (in games) until you go to the stats sheet and see that he has had more of the ball than you probably give him credit for,’’ Phillips said.

“He just finds a way to find the ball and distribute it, whether that’s playing at Immanuel College, in the Glenelg league team or in the State under-18s.’’

Scharenberg became the Tigers’ fourth-youngest league player when he debuted at age 16 years, 246 days against Norwood in round five last year — Carlton’s Bryce Gibbs is the youngest Glenelg debutant at 16 years, 53 days in 2005.

He has played nine league games and earned All-Australian selection at this year’s national under-18 championships after averaging 24 disposals, six tackles and five clearances.

Scharenberg, who has learnt all about work ethic and resilience by watching Matthew’s struggles — “it’s been eye-opening watching what he’s been through and the obstacles he’s had to overcome,’’ he says — also was best afield in the Tigers’ under-18 SANFL grand final win against North Adelaide with 34 disposals, including 14 contested, and 12 tackles.

Once considered a possible top-10 pick, Scharenberg’s lack of pace and finesse could see him slip into the second round but he will be a rock-solid selection for the club that secures him

Very interesting that the clubs are putting his knees under scrutiny, suspecting a genetic link to his brothers' problems. I suggested this possibility some time ago for humans, knowing from experience that there is a genetic link to ACL problems in dogs, such as my Newfoundland who had his knee reconstruction. I think this is very wise of the clubs.

So, I did my Reddit Phantom Draft today. I ended up with Jarrod Berry with 13, Myles Poholke with 45, Brandan Parfitt with 53 and Joseph Atley with 67.
Fairly happy with that, although I kind of ended up with 4 similar types of players, which isn't ideal.
Not sure if we're doing the 80+ picks.

So, I did my Reddit Phantom Draft today. I ended up with Jarrod Berry with 13, Myles Poholke with 45, Brandan Parfitt with 53 and Joseph Atley with 67.
Fairly happy with that, although I kind of ended up with 4 similar types of players, which isn't ideal.
Not sure if we're doing the 80+ picks.
I'd be rapt with that.

Fair bit of interest in Sam McClarty around the place. Has spoken to 15 teams. Is a quality character so I doubt many will drop off after interviews

Danger in Texas

AFL Draft News

Subscriber only

PRIDE OF SA
Tyson Stengle

Woodville-West Torrens

18, 171cm, 69kg

Small forward

STICKS SAYS

DRAFT RANGE
51-70
I get the feeling Port might grab him at 31 as a long term replacement for Wingard etc

I get the feeling Port might grab him at 31 as a long term replacement for Wingard etc
Won't go that early IMO, I'd guess 55 - Rookie, think Kym Lebois another SA small forward will go before him in all honesty. Both have great AFL pedigrees, with Tyson being related to Eddie and Micky O and Kym's uncles are Aaron and Alwyn Davey.

Edit : forgot about Kym's other uncle Gavin Wanganeen..:$

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back