Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting. I wonder if he has dropped in confidence over the course of the season and that impacted his kicking?
He used to be a really confident player who would take anyone on (in a Milera/Cameron mould), but that confidence turned in to arrogance and this is what I heard has really impact on his drafting.

I'm guessing he was told this, it knocked his overall confidence and this flowed on to his football. Interesting one.
He had one of best work rates of the SA kids when I watched him in nationals - so don't think it's an arrogance issue in terms of his form

Just don't think his skills ( esp by foot) hold up under that level of pressure

You've gotta be pretty damn good skills wise as an outside player at that level and his weren't

The work rate and overlap run was , didn't think he had gear change speed but was a bit like a Simon Goodwin - very good consistent runner from end to end

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Reckon we are only taking a senior list of 38.
Leaves two spots open should Beech Greenwood & Keath have big years whilst still on minimum wage.

4 Draft Picks
2-3 Rookie Picks

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Was checking out Foxtel to see if the draft will be on again this year. I was surprised to see that Fox is only allocation 30 mins to the draft or have I misread this.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Was checking out Foxtel to see if the draft will be on again this year. I was surprised to see that Fox is only allocation 30 mins to the draft or have I misread this.

I saw that too. What's up with that?

What I would like in terms of positional players:

3 midfielders;
1 developmental KPF (not a tweener);
1 small forward (agility and speed);
1 very developmental KPD;

Rookie: 1 ruck, plus whatever else.

I like this, although I would change small forward to small defender (not a half back)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
4.5 hours of coverage, starting 5.10pm AEST and going thru to 9.30pm

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
4.5 hours of coverage, starting 5.10pm AEST and going thru to 9.30pm
Thanks for that. I just went and checked and sure enough you are right. However this afternoon there was only a 30 min programme so it has changed. But the main thing for me is that it is on all the way through.

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
His mum's actions and attitude doesn't sit well with me in this.
1. How pretentious to assume your son will go #1.
2. If I'm a parent, I'd be stoked to see my son or daughter go wherever to follow their dreams.
Disagree, Hugh has been talked about as the likely number one for at least the last half of the season [He may still go 1] and it's only been the last week or so that some media have changed over to McGrath for that honour. What mother's preference wouldn't be for their son to be closer, especially when the other options are Brisbane or Perth...none that I know any how. Think your reading something into it that doesn't exist, I certainly don't see that as pretentious, just a normal motherly reaction.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Disagree, Hugh has been talked about as the likely number one for at least the last half of the season [He may still go 1] and it's only been the last week or so that some media have changed over to McGrath for that honour.
McGrath was first mentioned about a month ago when it was confirmed Essendon wouldn't be stripped of number 1

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt
Disagree, Hugh has been talked about as the likely number one for at least the last half of the season [He may still go 1] and it's only been the last week or so that some media have changed over to McGrath for that honour. What mother's preference wouldn't be for their son to be closer, especially when the other options are Brisbane or Perth...none that I know any how. Think your reading something into it that doesn't exist, I certainly don't see that as pretentious, just a normal motherly reaction.

Also a fair perspective and I'm definitely not parent so I don't know but I just can't fathom riding and tracking each result to see who will finish last (especially so far out from the draft where things can change).

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Also a fair perspective and I'm definitely not parent so I don't know but I just can't fathom riding and tracking each result to see who will finish last (especially so far out from the draft where things can change).

C'mon. It's his mum.

Mums will always do stupid stuff like this.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ogilvie on fiveaa says we will only use 4-5 picks. Guess there will be greenwood o beec upgrade
Certainly hope they use 5 picks at least and use the last for Ben Jarman if still there.
Think a lot we can achieve in this draft to build for future and maybe grab someone that has impact this season after missing out on Gibbs - Barlow.
13. --- Definitely a mid and maybe one with inside and outside ability with some X factor about.
43. -- We have chance here to still get good pick and must be best available that slipped for whatever reason. ( recruiter had him as 2nd pick type ).
53. --- Try to get a KPP with this pick if not at 43. Although currently have covered we are light on for future or cover injury etc.
Rest. ---- Believe need a ruckman as one as concerned with Jacobs decline and think although like ROB feel much the same of and maybe a Gawn-- Goldy bigger but competitive type more to future needs. Yes don't grow on trees but have to roll the dice.
Think a review of some of delistings or VFL -- WAFL --SANFL more mature to see if there one that could add something .

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Certainly hope they use 5 picks at least and use the last for Ben Jarman if still there.
Think a lot we can achieve in this draft to build for future and maybe grab someone that has impact this season after missing out on Gibbs - Barlow.
13. --- Definitely a mid and maybe one with inside and outside ability with some X factor about.
43. -- We have chance here to still get good pick and must be best available that slipped for whatever reason. ( recruiter had him as 2nd pick type ).
53. --- Try to get a KPP with this pick if not at 43. Although currently have covered we are light on for future or cover injury etc.
Rest. ---- Believe need a ruckman as one as concerned with Jacobs decline and think although like ROB feel much the same of and maybe a Gawn-- Goldy bigger but competitive type more to future needs. Yes don't grow on trees but have to roll the dice.
Think a review of some of delistings or VFL -- WAFL --SANFL more mature to see if there one that could add something .

Don't believe we would get a ruckman on the main list, unless they are well in front in order of best pick. We currently have 3 ruckmen in Jacobs , ROB and Hunter, Plus Dual role players in JJ and Dear
Believe they may look for a rookie Ruck ie Sweet, Ladhams, or even one of those US giants on the cat B list, but not on the main list

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
What I would like in terms of positional players:

3 midfielders;
1 developmental KPF (not a tweener);
1 small forward (agility and speed);
1 very developmental KPD;

Rookie: 1 ruck, plus whatever else.